Need SLEEP.....anyone have anything that helps??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sohappy7, Dec 27, 2006.

1. sohappy7

sohappy7 New Member

I was taking amitriptyline for sleep and that worked well..but constipation became a problem on this drug. AM now on AmbienCR, but hate the weay it makes me feel. Sonata didn't work. Anyone have something that works well for their CFS?
  2. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Sohappy7 - How does the Ambien make you feel? Does it help you sleep, but makes you feel bad in the mornings? If so, before you move on to the next med, I would try asking your doctor to start you out on the lowest Ambien dose, which is a 5mg tablet. Ambien CR has the highest dose (12.something mg), and the regular Ambien is 10mg. It could be that you are just getting too much of the medication, especially if your problem is a morning after hangover.
  3. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

This will sound strange I know. But for christmas I had my daugther buy me some bath products from a company called LUSH. They have bath bombs for sleep, massage bars that help you relax and sleep, bath melts for sleep.
    She gave me one called Sleepyhead.

I have to be really carefull of the smells of bath stuff as my husband tells me that they stink or make it hard for him to breathe. But so far he has not said any thing about this massage bar called Sleepyhead.

Last night I was so tired that I could not think straight but I didn't want to take a bath so I used this massage bar massaging it along the back of my neck and my chest as well. I put on a warm nighty and laid on the couch and I fell alseep with in about 10 minutes and slept on the couch for over two hours before I woke up because I was cold.

It has helped since the day I got it. And the smell is that of chamomile, ylang ylang,Lavendar,and fennel. Just massge it in to your scalp or on the back of your neck and maybe on your temples as well.It is not a strong smell but so nice that you just drift off with out any worries.
    I have had the worst cough and it is hard to breathe so I have been usuing my inhaler and my heart was racing from it. So I rubbed it in to my neck and shoulders and like I said I was out for a couple of hours.

When I woke up I used some more just on my pulse points and soon I was sleeping once again. I slept better than I have in a long time. And I smelled good as well.
    I think it works better than any medicaiton that I have used for sleep. But that is just what I think/ It may just work for you too. It will last for quite awhile as you don't have to use much.

I hope that you will think about it and try it.

HUGS,
    Rosemarie
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

If amitriptyline worked you might consider taking it, then taking Miralax every night for the constipation. I suspect many of the sleep meds can cause constipation - I have a terrible problem with it.

Miralax is a clear, odorless, tasteless powder you mix with water. It is very safe and just adds water to your colon -no bad side effects. You can add 2 Colace stool softeners with the Miralax if needed. (Miralax is a prescription).

I even found that Ambien caused or aggravates constipation.

I am currently using Lunesta and it works well - no constipation. I still use Miralax because I have the problem no matter what. I think it is related to IBS.

Another sleep med I tried that worked well was Restoril 15 mg. It does not kick in for over a hour, sometimes longer. Actually the Lunesta has worked well.

Some people have a bad taste with Lunesta but I never had that problem. I am sure your doctor may have samples you can try.

Sometimes with the Lunesta I was also taking 1/2 of a .05 mg Klonopin. I no longer need the Klonopin.

5. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Elavil has worked great for years for me

Dan
  6. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Our diet is low in tryptophan. Good sources are cashews, turkey (dogs, bacon, deli), dairy (if not allergic) and bananas. I munch on Honey-Roasted Cashews at night and it typically helps me sleep.

Tryptophan is a precursor to serotonin. The pineal gland converts serotonin into melatonin to help us sleep. The pineal gland responds to light, esp. the blue and green colors so lamp shades that are Orange will help for the evening hours. Stay away from "Daylight" florescent lamps at night.

I also rotate between valerian, kava kava, chamomile.

Drink very little caffiene, most of us CFS ppl have weak livers to break it down. Milk Thistle and Dandelion Root help the liver cleanse our blood of these stimulants.
  7. JazzieS

JazzieS New Member

I've tried just about everything on the market over the years.....the only thing that helps my brain to calm down at nite is Klonopin, 0.25mg.

I also try not to watch anything that is too stimulating on tv after 6 p.m.

None of the herbal remedies worked for me either, even though I'm treating by a Natural Med. Doctor.

Hope it helps.

Jazzie
  8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Calcium, magnesium, 5-htp (helps brain produce serotonin), l-theanine (helps brain produce GABA, a natural tranqulizer), melatonin, benadryl
  9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Regarding straight Ambien, it might be better than the "CR" - when I switched from straight Ambien to the "CR" I felt it really built up in my system after a few days, making me feel so tired.

I understand even at sleep clinics they have patients rotate the sleep meds. I can understand why. It seems they are great for a while, then you feel crummy.

I know it seems like Lunesta is bad when you hear it leaves a aftertaste - but I was surprised how well it worked - even after I was taking a fairly high dose of Restoril.

I started at 3 mg of Lunesta and had to cut down to 2 mg. I may even go down to 1 mg. I had the doctor give me 1 mg pills so I could lower the dose easier.

It is such a drag having sleep problems!!!!
  10. Daisys

Daisys Member

I tried a lot of these suggestions, and none of them worked for me.

I have alpha wave intrusion, common in CFS/FM. Xyrem has really helped me get deep, restorative sleep.

If you wake up unrefreshed, a sleep study is called for, because there's many reasons for not getting quality sleep.
  11. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

As for me the best thing in the world has been trazadone and my s-i-l also has fibro and uses it.

She and I have took it for many years and got alot of relief with it.

But I have alot of problems with my heart rate and my dr said it could raise my heart rate even more than normal.

Now i can't sleep he has prescibed other things but nothing has worked as well.

I miss it so much I am going to beg him next time I see him to put me back on on it and I will just really carefully watch my heart rate I am tired of not sleeping!

Pamela
  12. hope4today

hope4today New Member

Hi there!

I have been sleeping better as a result of a 3 week series of acupuncture treatments for bowel inertia (my bowel has stopped working unless I use a laxative). Surgery is the next step.

So I looked around for a possible alternative. Acupuncture has significantly helped my bowel. But the totally unexpected side effect has been the improvement to my sleep. I now sleep 4-7 hours at a stretch. And a lovely deep sleep. I don't know if this is a permanent change or temporary. Can't afford to do this all the time!

I was told that I am recieving needles that would affect my cortisol levels. Apparently the years of pain are stressing my body. Go figure! ANyways dealing with that would help me sleep better.

I have tried 5HTP in the past and it worked well I also have used a sleeping pill called Zopiclone.

Hope
  13. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I noticed you have a problem with your bowels. I wanted to ask if you have tried Miralax along with 2 Colace at night.

Miralax is a prescription - it is a odorless, tasteless powder you add to water. It is very easy on your system, it just adds water to the colon. The Colace is a softener and just helps.

If you have not tried this, it won't hurt you to try it.
  14. natesmommie1

natesmommie1 New Member

I take evail,flexril and lyrica for bedtime and i go to sleep all nightlong
    Bernadette