Need solutions for dog eating his own poop. YUCK

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joyfully, Apr 17, 2008.

1. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I'm brain dead this morning, so if this has been discussed before---blame it on my fibro fog.

I just caught my minature schnauzer eating his own dog poop from yesterday. YUCK! I give this dog VERY high quality dog foods.

I heard somewhere that giving them pineapple will make their dog poop taste yucky to them. Does anyone know if this is true?

AND can I use canned pineapple instead of fresh?

Any answers or suggestions are appreciated. I just find this most disgusting. This is the minature schnauzer that I rescued about 7 months ago.
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I've always thought that this is a sign of a breeding deficiency...and I've seen this happen often.

I do remember using pineapple once but due to DD, can't remember the outcome, lol.

I know there are products called 'Distaste' that are supposed to make the poop unpalatable to the dog, as if poop tastes good to begin with.

But mostly, it's best to keep the poop from them, even if it means picking it up right away.

I've never met a dog who eats poop that won't find a way somehow to do so. They're just determined.

3. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Sprinkle it with medicine!
  4. ksp56

ksp56 Member

We had a rescue German Wired Hair pointer for many years. He also tended to love his poop. Grossed me out! Our vet said to try cayenne pepper, and a hot tabasco sauce, and dump this on every poop you can find outside. Usually, they get the point, once they've burnt their dirty little mouths. They do not like the smell either!

I know it's a pain to be on 'poop patrol' but it just might work!

Our rescue Springer Spaniel has recently found a TRUE liking for our cat's waste... She's lived here for two years...what made it special now?? We have no where to put their litter box, other then were it is. Anyone have suggestions? I was going to try the tabasco etc, but we thought it might make our cats use our home, instead of theirs! LOL

Good luck! I hope you find something that work!

5. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I dog sit for people and their dogs eat POOP TOO!!!!! Gags me, and makes me sick........I just can't imagine letting a dog KISS you after knowing that they eat POOPS!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!

If anyone can figure this out....PLEASE post an answer.

6. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

And I thought that primates had the most disgusting behaviours:)

Lots of theories, but nothing proven.

I saw one suggestion of putting cat box up high, out of reach of dog, that seemed easy to do.

Some additives to food that I guess might help.

I tend to go with parasite theories. Possibly some parasite alters the dog brain so that the parasite can reproduce more easily with the cravings for poop.

I think one rare parasite, probably a sheep/dog life cycle one, known to be transmitted to humans by fecal material(face licking).

Parasites are weird. I think one even has an ant/sheep life cycle. Oh well, enough. Yeccch, your mr Bill.

[This Message was Edited on 04/17/2008]
  7. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I've heard two theories about this poop eating by well fed dogs.

One is that their Mother did this when they were still little and with the Mom. They are imitating the Mother's behavior.

The other is that you are giving the dog something inhis diet that smells good to them even after it has gone through the dog's digestive track. I have been giving my dog "pupperoni" as a way to bribe him to come inside when he has been running around the back yard. This may be the cause. That pupperoni is VERY strong smelling when I take it out of the pouch.

I'm in a electric mobility scooter, so it isn't easy for me to scoop up all the little poops in the back yard as soon as they happen. My hubby does it every couple of days.

This dog is a rescue dog. I have very limited information what he did for the first 2 years of his life. I do know that he is an escape artist. He tracks with his nose and is clueless about boundaries, cars on streets, etc. He just goes on very long adventures if he gets out of an enclosed yard. If you leave him more than 10 minutes in the backyard by himself, he will be looking for a way to escape. He is a real character to deal with. He can run like the wind and has unbelievable endurance. He has gotten away from me twice since I own him. I have him microchiped besides tags on his collar with our phone number and reward.

He has been found about 3/4 mile from my home and had to cross 4 lane very busy highways. he is just clueless.
  8. poets

poets Member

I don't own a dog, (at present) but I had a friend that had a dog who used to dig his way under the outhouse and help himself. Their vet told them he had a kind of vitamin deficiency and gave him some sort of drops. I can't recall if it helped or not, it's been so long. Just a thought.

[This Message was Edited on 04/17/2008]
  9. stick2013

stick2013 Member

Some dogs are great to have around when the cat box needs cleaning.... GROSS, but it's true.......
  10. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

You might laugh or cringe, but there is still nutritional elements in the dog's dudu, as I heard from a well educated veternarian on the news one day.

The best bet is to pick up after them every time they go. Poop patrol is not fun. It's a pretty crappy experience.

11. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I think a few drops of vinegar in their water might help, but I would ask a veternarian first, and definately research it first.

I've read that some vinegar dropped in the cat's dish helps repel flees. Who knows, I haven't tried it yet.

[This Message was Edited on 04/18/2008]
  12. fight4acure

fight4acure Member
  13. joyfully

joyfully New Member

All of you have made my day. To say that I've had a poopy day would be the biggest understatement of the month.

If it could go wrong, it did go wrong. Now I have to wear a surgical shoe because I broke my toe yesterday. My PCP thinks something is wrong with me, but he wouldn't explain. He thinks this because I have fallen off of my scooter again and just had my stitches out a couple days ago. i also sprained my wrist. I don't know if he thinks I'm the victim of spousal abuse, I'm overmedicated, I'm a hypochondriac, or what???? He thought I was amused at my swollen foot with 4 purple toes. I did have a mischievous expression on my face, but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with me. He wanted me to be upset. I wasn't. I've had rheumatoid arthritis for 59 1/2 years, so what is the big deal about 4 purple toes and one of them broken???? I laugh when I get nervous, so the more he questioned me, the more I giggled. I don't think the visit went well---

Then my brother called and was unusually open about subject matters. He confirms how much my Mother hates me. I've always know this, but it puts the hurt on an elevated level when someone confirms what you already know in your heart. He told me that he was present when my Mother fought vehemently to keep me out of the will. Don't I feel special! She has hated me for as long as I can remember. She has tried to hurt me for as long as I can remember. I live a 1,000 miles away from them; that is as close to them as I want to be. Far, far away. I don't deserve this hate, I have never deserved this hatred from them.

I moved on with my life about 4 decades ago and never looked back. I know I am a good person and I don't have to prove it to them. They don't even know me. I hope tomorrow is better. I don't need any additional broken bones, or sprained wrists, or stitches in my eyebrows, or teeth broken off when my face hits the street. Where is the bubble wrap so I can encase myself in it??????
  14. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I was so saddened to hear your last post, and I relate to your feelings. My entire family hates me, including my daughter. I haven't seen any of them in 5 yrs. My daughter even refuses to let me see my grandchildren. So I do know how you feel.

I just wanted to tell you that, and tell you I am sorry that you are going through this too.

15. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Can I ask a favor of you, that will help you out as well?

I am wondering if you can take your last post and make a new topic out of it, because some will not respond to the current topic you have up there in the title, and it sounds like you need more responses to other things going on. My suggestion is that you create a new post, by copying and pasting the last topic, and labeling it correctly. It will help you out, and help others to help you out by responding, because too many topics in one post can be overwhelming for some of us.

[This Message was Edited on 04/19/2008]
  16. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I took your suggestion and began a new thread. I'm just surprised at my self for allowing the "funny farm" to still have that much affect in my life. I think it was because my brother described her hatred of me as vehemently intense hatred. He said that not much rattles him (very true), but her level of hatred toward me even astounded him. He said the intense level of venom just poured from her mouth in hatred of me. Gee. Doesn't that make me feel special!

That is one sick bunch and I'm glad I had the courage and insight to get the heck out of there many decades ago. I have a wonderful hubby and a wonderful son. I don't base my worth on their approval. I just wish they would leave me alone. I don't know how people with less of a support group to rely upon would be able to handle this type of abuse. My Mother WANTS to emotionally hurt me. She gets some sick pleasure out of hurting me. I stay far, far, far away from them.