Need some advice about new doctor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PrincessofYoga, Feb 6, 2003.

1. PrincessofYoga

PrincessofYoga New Member

Hi all,

I was doing some searching for a new doc and found one in Cincinnati not to far from me. He is on the good doctors list and from what I read from his home site, I was pretty excited.

Here is the thing. They do not take insurance. The first visit is $275 and it includes an exam and blood tests, etc. She said they do a couple of things there but mostly, trigger point injections and stretching. She said the doctor assists you with your nutritional intake and the like. But heck, it is a two hour drive and I dotn know if I necessarily want someone sticking needles in me!

Am I alone in this? All I want is a doctor who is not afraid to try new things...to guide me where I need to go...and help when I am in a flare. I have done everything on my own up til now and have had very little help from doctors. I mean, is that what most of us are lookiing for? Guidance from a doctor for things and not to lay down serious cash and travel 2 1/2 hours to get stuck?

Im sorry. Im in a flare and just sick and tierd of all this crap. Why cant I find someone who can do for me what I need and it not cost me a fortune?! I cant afford 275 dollars! :0( bummer

Sorry to be such a bummer. I am in a flare, the second one I have had in a long long time and I am just tierd.

Thanks for reading....
  2. PrincessofYoga

PrincessofYoga New Member

Thanks Nink..know you are right. My head gets so overwhelmed since I have had to pretty much take the reigns on my health care since day one. To have a rheumy say "yep, you have FM. Any questions?" lol. too much!!

Thanks for your response. I stay positive most of the time. It is hard though, to stay up all the time knowing that I have to keep fighting and fighting. The best thing about being in charge of my own health is that I have no one to blame but me and I will never let myself down. Shoot, now I am talking like I have multiple personalities. Hey, that would be nice. We could have Lisa, the one with Fibro, and Elisa, the one that doesnt. Lol

Anyway, I hope I didnt politically incorrect myself into getting someone upset. I have a strange sense of humor.

Take care and Namaste
    Lisa
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Be really careful of doctors who are representing a particular company selling supplements.....

I had the same situation where I live....a doctor advertising her vast expertise in curing FM/CFS, only the charge was $500. Half of her website consisted of promotions of a brand of supplements. When I went to that brand's website, it was filled with pictures of that doctor, and testimonials from her patients.

I decided against seeing her. I have nothing against good quality supplements------in fact, all I use for my FM treatment are supplements! But someone who is so invested in one line of products, to me, is more of a salesman than a doctor!

I love finding a doctor who is open-minded enough to consider both traditional medicine and non-traditional avenues, and who recommends types of supplements, but doesn't push a particular brand. Then I feel better about his/her objectivity. My FM allergist is like that, will only suggest a brand name if I ask for it, & then gives me several brands to try....

Just my opinion. Good luck!

Hugs,
    Pam