Need some advice and support

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pinkgirl, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl New Member

Sorry I've been gone for so long, I've been lurking for a while, I just haven't had the energy to post. Life is kind of in slow-mo for me right now, and I've been feeling really negative so I don't want to just come and complain... I just need some advice, you guys have been so helpful before, I would really appreciate some help now :)

My dr hasn't filled my rx for my Duragesic patches for a month now, I just keep getting bounced around between the pharmacy and the dr's office... I'm tired with fighting to get my rx filled every two weeks, going through withdrawls constantly really gets to me...

I'm totally detoxed, so I don't want to start up on them again. I'm TRYING to get in to see my dr. and tell him this, but we're having problems with our phone again, so it's impossible to talk to my dr or his nurse... My mom is going to call on Monday and make me an appointment.

I haven't heard from the pain clinic either! I was hoping to get started on the treatment before school started again, but school starts in 2 1/2 weeks. I'm doomed to spend another miserable year barely sqeaking by, which scares the heck out of me because it's my last year here, and I need to pull my GPA back up to AT LEAST a 3.7 if I want to get the help I need as far as grants ect...

I'm just taking Lorcet right now, I'm supposed to take 4 a day, but since it's been my only pain med I've been taking 6-8 a day at least, sometimes more, just to keep myself from crying in pain all day! I'm still in major pain, but they dampen it enough for me to function, sort of...

Has anyone else gone off the patches? I was on 75 mcg, and it wasn't really helping all that much, I was taking the max of Lorcet a day on top of them... I was wondering what kind of meds I should ask for instead. I've tried to go without narcotic pain meds, but I just can't do it... I haven't had a pain free day in almost 2 years now...

I've been sleeping all day for the past month... I don't usually get out of bed until 4-5 pm and then I usually go back to bed by 10... I'm missing the entire summer, and spending such little time with my kids I feel awful! I'm wondering how I'm going to make it in school since I can't even take care of the small things at home... I feel so miserable, and that's just making my depression worse and worse...

I haven't left my house in two weeks, I've gotten out of my pjs once and I just don't have the energy to do it... I've been going to the dentist on a weekly basis, I just had 2 teeth pulled at my last appt so I won't go again until next Thursday, that's the only time I go out! I would like to go for walks, go to the store, take my kids to the library or the park, but I just can't force myself to do it... Yesterday I went outside for a half hour, just to sit in the grass and watch the kids play, and it felt like I ran a marathon...

I'm so sorry for whining... I could go on like this for pages... I'm just at the end of my rope! I've tried to keep this DD from taking over my life, but now it seems like I don't have a life.... all I do is sleep, or lay on the couch in pain. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!!!!!! My body is falling apart, I'm losing my hair, my skin is awful, and I'm just not taking care of myself the way I used to...

I've tried making a schedule to follow, something I used to do all the time. Giving myself time for exercise, rest, cleaning, ect, but all I did was look at it and cry... I took it down because all it did was upset me...

Can you guys let me know what has helped you? Has anyone else been in this hole I'm in? What can I ask my doctor? What can I do to get myself moving again?
  2. chazzsmom99

chazzsmom99 New Member

Hi, I'm Peggi, and I'm new here, so...
    Don't ever think you're whining--if you can't vent out your feelings here, I don't know where you can. You can't keep it bottled up inside.

You need some help from your dr. Is he/she supportive of you? There is no reason for him/her to let you suffer. I don't know what to tell you, but I really feel for you.

When I have a real bad day, just listening to my son laugh or giggle can give me a boost, or reading to him.

We're here for you, don't worry 'bout that!

Peggi

ps-at least you're getting out of the house! I know dentists aren't fun, but it's getting you to the real world a bit.
  3. over50

over50 New Member

Pinkgirl,You do 10x what I do. !
    It seems like everything is coming at you at the same time.
    Fine time for you phone to go bad.
    I hope your Mom can help with some of the things.
    You are trying so hard,I admire you so much.
    I will be praying for you,and hope others can help you with things.
    I dont have the answer about the pain,hopefully someone here has some good info for you.
    Just know we care about you.
    Love,Linda
  4. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Hi Pinkgirl:

I am also kind of new here at this but don't ever think that you are whinning. We are all in the same boat hon so come here and spill your heart out we will listen.

It is quite apparent that you are totally overwhelmed and I can identify with that. I too find myself sinking in a hole from time to time. Question, are you seeing a Pyschiatrist? I had to start seeing one because I thought I was going to die from so much pain, so little energy, so unfocused, so uninterested in anything, so totally depressed. I let myself go I would be like you in pjs all day until I realized if I didn't seek help for my depression soon, I would probably just die!

I am taking Zoloft 100mg for depression, Ativan for anxiety, Serax for anxiety, Flexeril at night for relaxing the muscles and helps sleep. This has been a Godsend for me. I have been on this for over a year and even though I am in pain physically and at times emotionally I am finding that I can cope better. I have never been given any of the meds you have been given so I can't help you there hon.

In any event, please see your doctors right away and if they can't help you the way you need to be helped I always say, go find a better doctor. You deserve it.

God Bless you Pinkgirl. I will pray for you and hope you will find some emotional and physical relief soon.

Hugs,
    Francey54
  5. lilac123

lilac123 New Member

I am so sorry your having a time of it. I just don't understand these doctors just taking away meds. I have heard some stories lately. Boy, I sure hope my Rhuematologist doesn't try anything like that.

I hate the stigma of having to take narcotics for the pain but there is just no other way for me. What I have found that helps for me is a time released morphine and vicodin. I still have lots of pain and find that I am starting to feel the best during the late evening. Almost like when I finally build up enough medicine throughout the day. I'm not sure what the patch is you had but did your doc give you a reason for not re-filling it. I know I have a heck of a time getting the Avinza sometimes. They have all these guidelines to follow because of the class of the drug.

Each and every person is different but I guess the Avinza does help me. I don't notice a big difference unless I don't take it. If I miss a dose I am in total pain the next day.

I feel for you and will send up an extra prayer for you tonight. I would let the doc know that you need something for the pain. No one should have to suffer like we do. If there was something else that worked for me I'd do it in a heartbeat but until then I need my meds. I'm so tired of this stigma attached to taking the meds we need. The docs prescribe them knowing you need them and then expect you to withdrawl? Isn't that dangerous? My rhuemy better not try that with me!

I sure hope you find some relief soon, it sounds like you've got a pretty full plate. Hang In There. Sometimes I just keep telling myself. Tommorrow will be better, or the next hour will be better, etc. And then try to remember to cherish those moments when I can do something.

Soft Hugs,
    Lil
  6. zreenie

zreenie New Member

Pinkgirl, I dont pretend to have all the answers because none of us do. I think we all just have to find the best combo for ourselves. Ive had this crap sence 94 and have been where you are. I have felt better in the last year sence I began taking Prozac, Welbutrin, and I take Darvocet for pain. Some days I hardly take any and other days I take more than prescribed. I also take Ambien to sleep. If you take Ambien I would advise not to take them unless neccessary because you will get immune to them. Im almost there but they still work with a couple of Tylenol PM. Ambien will give you 8 hours of good sleep and you wont be groggy or tired when you get up.I have taken the Darvocet for a couple of years and they still work most of the time and I dont believe theyre real addictive, for me anyway.I have had a lttle more trouble with depression lately and may have to increase my antidepressants but am so much better than I used to be. There is no gaurantee that this will work for you but anything is worth a try. It sounds like you may need to change doctors. Look on the website for doctors in your area that understand Fibro.I hope you feel better soon and please dont give up!
  7. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl New Member

Right now I'm on a bunch of meds... here's my list:
    AM
    Zoloft 200 mg (depression & BPD)
    Aciphex 20 mg (acid reflux)
    Synthroid 75 mcgs (hypothyroidism)
    Cymbalta 90 mg (depression & pain)

PM
    Amnitryptaline 50 mg (pain & sleep)
    Seroquel 100 mg (BPD)
    Magnesium 500 mg (bunch of stuff LOL)
    Detrol LA 8 mg (bladder control)

THROUGHOUT THE DAY
    Lorcet 75/650
    Klonopin .5 mg

I'm allergic to anti-inflamitories, and have a really bad reaction to most sleep meds, so it's hard to find stuff that works. A couple years ago my body just started to fall apart, and it's been down hill from there. I'm hoping I can get to my dr. soon, and maybe we can work something out.

The reason it's so hard to get my patches is because of the restrictions, and my dr. is 30 miles away, so I can't go pick up the rx each time... The actual written rx has to be brought to my pharmacy before they'll fill it, and between getting a hold of the nurse, having the rx mailed and getting it to the pharm can take forever! And of course they won't request the rx until the day I run out of patches!!! It's a nightmare and I'm just tired of dealing with it!

I am seeing a psych. I've been seeing the same one for 3 years now, he's a life saver!!! It's just really hard to find meds that work for me, psychological problems run deep in my family and it's hard to find anything that works for any of them! I have a reaction to the meds that work for my dad, but for a while they worked wonderfully... it's just hard to keep trying so many different things, it's easy just to give up!

Well, I'm off to bed. Hopefully the pain will lessen and I can get some sleep while I'm supposed to be sleeping LOL I fell asleep reading my 4 yr old "Charolette's Web" but woke up as soon as my arm fell asleep :)

Thanks again! I don't know what I would do without this board! Everyone is so wonderful here! I'll try to get to the computer and post some more tomorrow, I miss coming here!
    Hugs,
    Love