Need Some Advice...

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by LostInTheFog23, Oct 6, 2008.

1. LostInTheFog23

LostInTheFog23 New Member

I am 24 years old and for the past year and a half I've been dealing with long bouts of depression it will go away for a couple days and come back for a couple weeks. Nothing makes me happy anymore, I dont even like seeing friends and I dont understand why. Im at the end of my rope, all I wanna do is cry. All my close friends are in other states and I dont feel like I should even call them and bother them with how Im feeling. I feel like it wont matter and what can they really do for me anyway but worry. And I already do enough of that. Im starting to feel like it will never get any better, like I wont feel like myself ever again...Im really scared for myself. Please help.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

You've tried this on your own and it hasn't helped. So get in to see a psychiatrist for a diagnosis and to discuss whether medication or therapy or both will be what is needed. The longer you put it off, the longer you remain miserable. Best of luck and hugs.
  3. flowergrl

flowergrl New Member

This is not very original advice, but it is what has helped me. It sounds like you are at the point where you have realized you are depressed and need to do something about it. Getting to that point takes a while.

I would read a list of all the symptoms of depression, anxiety etc...and have a lot of them but I couldn't put that together and get to the realization that I have depression. Finally I realized it. Does that make sense to you?

FWI I take meds, and go to counseling on and off. Not everyone wants to take meds, or believes in the value of counseling, but they do help me manage. So, if I were you, I would do a couple of things.

Make an appt with yor primary care doc, and get a complete checkup with blood work....tell him/her what has been going on and ask for a referral to a psych. Go see the psych, and do the same. Ask him/her and your primary doc, ask around check your insurance etc and see if you can find a therapist in the area with a good rep...

I wish you well. Keep me posted on how you are doing.
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

So sorry you are not feeling well. I URGE you to see a psychiatrist and a counselor! I had to be basically pushed into seeing a counselor, but now that I am, things are going so much better. I had very similar feelings to you. I felt like, gee, what's the point? I'm sick and what are my friends going to do but worry about me?

What you don't realize (because you are depressed, and believe me, I've been there) is that your friends love you for you. Even if you are down. Let them worry. They are your friends. It DOES MATTER and YOU MATTER. You just don't realize it right now because you are in a depressed state. It's okay; I've been very depressed and not realized that either.

I once again urge you to get treatment for your depression so that you will feel better. Depression is an illness like any other illness, and it can be treated just like a broken arm can be treated; it's just not something we can visually look at. See a psychiatrist and a counselor, both of whom will help you lift your depression and realize that things CAN get better and WILL GET BETTER FOR YOU.

Sending you lots of hugs. Keep me posted. I'm rooting for you.

Warm hugs,

Erika