Need some advise on prep procedure for my colonoscopy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Grandma6, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Grandma6

Grandma6 New Member

Hey All,
    As I've told you I am having a colonoscopy this Thrusday, Oct 20th and needless to say, I'm a bit worried.

But the reason I'm posting is because of the problems I'm having with my bowels they want me to start on "CLEAR LIQUIDS" THE 17th - 18th - 19th. The list that they gave me is Clear bouillon, broth, tea, coffee,(this is not clear??), tea, Kool-Aid, carbonated beverages, (NO RED OR PURPLE) & NO MILK OR CREAM IN COFFEE, Apple, white grape juice, strained lemonade, limeade, orange drink, any juice you can see through and has no pulp,& popsicles.

This is the prep that starts tomorrow then the evening before I go in at 5PM I take 4 Dulcolax and at 6Pm I mix the bottle of Miralax in 64oz. of Gaterade and drink an 8 oz glass every 10 - 15 minutes until gone.

I've already heard all the horror's of sleeping by the toilet Wednesday night so I don't need to hear any more of that. :) :)

But I am trying to figure out some other "CLEAR LIQUIDS".

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

Thanks,
    Grandma

2. rhonda357

rhonda357 New Member

I have to have them done 2 x yr and I have always found Jello to be a big help, of course no red.
    Hope this helps
    Rhonda
  3. Grandma6

Grandma6 New Member

I have mixed up some peach and pineapple jello that I found in the store today but there really aren't that many that are clear.

I don't eat much anyway lately so I don't think I'll be hungry but you know how the mind tells you your hungry when you know you can't eat. Well, mine does that. LOL

4. Grandma6

Grandma6 New Member

knahall,

First I have to tell you that my Fibro Fog is at it's worse.

I got up this morning and went to the message boards to see if I had any replies from my post and all of the sudden it dawned on me that my colonoscopy is next Thursday the 20th and not this Thursday.

Here I have mixed up Jello last night and am making all these plans and now I really feel DUMB!

I didn't sleep much at all last night stressing out over this and now I'm crying. I am really having trouble getting a handle on things lately.

Sorry, I am a mess. But to answer your question, I have to go off some of my meds 3 days before surgery and all of them the morning of surgery. No asprin or some meds that are arthritis related.

Thanks for your concern,

Grandma6
  5. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Dear Grandma, good luck. I am due to go in at 10am tomorrow. i.e.,in 12 hours time. Fortunately, I was allowed a small number of certain 'real' food types for three days beforehand. It is only today that I have had to restrict myself to clear liquids - stock cubes, lemonade, tea, coffee, apple juice. I would kill for a glass of soy milk - that is what I am reduced to!!! Make sure you have a peppermint or similiar to suck after the medication they give you. The first one I took about 11 hours ago was so salty. I have one preparation drink more to get through at midnight, in about 2 hours, and then I can lie down, near the bathroom until 6 am. when I have to take my tablets with a sip of water and then nothing else until after the test. This is so sad..... I keep burping and "passing wind" - hope I make it to the hospital in the morning without any accidents! You may well find that the earliest part of the preparation is the hardest. By the time you stomach is empty, as C. hour approaches, things improve. Take care. We survive. By the time you read this, my colonoscopy will be over and yours will be over soon - think of the stories you can tell to prim and proper people to embarrass them.
  6. nixie

nixie New Member

I found that for me the best way to drink the Miralax until it is gone, is with a straw. Nixie
  7. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Just to answer a couple of questions. I was able to take my meds with a small amount of water, both the night before and the morning of the procedure.

Make sure you drink lots of water and broth and juice so you don't get dehydrated and your electrolytes don't get too low.

Also, the prep works for a few hours an cleans you out but it stops. I didn't have any worries about getting there in the morning.

Kathy.
  8. KelB

KelB New Member

Once my dose of Picolax had kicked in, the last thing I wanted to do was eat! Half an hour glued to the loo was enough to make me lose my appetite, never mind the two days that it actually lasted!

Another top tip is to buy a pot of Vaseline and after each BM, annoint the affected area. That stops you getting sore from "going" so much.
  9. tgrace

tgrace New Member

For all of you who have difficulty drinking that aweful liquid, they can give you pills to take instead. You simply take the pills with a clear liquid beverage rather than the foul tasting stuff. Hope this helps prevent someone from gagging down the gross stuff.