Need some encouragement; 1st visit to Curves...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twerp, Jul 12, 2006.

1. twerp

twerp New Member

Good morning all, I've had CFS for going on 6 years now, and my exercise "routine" has been sporadic at best. I've done yoga for a time, I swim a little, and that's about it.

My Dr. suggested that I try a 30-minute workout, like Curves, so I've signed up and have my first session this afternoon.

I'm a little apprehensive about this. Well, actually, a lot apprehensive. I'm worried that I just won't be able to do it, or, if I do, I'll be worse off rather than better.

Any encouraging words would be most welcome.

Hugs,
    Twerp
  2. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I go to Curves and I just love it. You can move at your own pace. Be sure to tell the ladies that help you that you have CFS. They will work with you on every exercise.

If you feel that you need to rest you can just stand on the platforms and get your breath.

I don't go during a flare. I don't think I should. But I have done really well, actually a lot better than I thought I would.

I have lost a lot of inches and weight. More inches than weight. I have felt better since going to Curves than I have in a long time.

I wish you the best and I hope you enjoy it.

Jodi
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Twerp,
    My cousin goes to Curves several times a week, and just loves it. She is almost 60.

I was not able to do it. I got sick. But then, I have multiple illnesses. I have to admit that I lost enthusiasm when people in the group started telling me to work harder. I should not have let it get me down, but I'm almost 70, and so I just don't hassle with things like that any more. I wish I had been sronger.

I think you could have a great time and get stronger. You don't have to use every piece of equipment. Oh yes, in two weeks I lost about 10 pounds.

Good luck. Have fun,
    Terry
  4. spacee

spacee Member

I can only start at 5 minutes per day for a week. Then the next week 10 minutes, and so forth. Personally, I think 30 minutes will put you in bed.

I feel like an idiot going for 5 minutes but that is what it takes for me. Maybe you will do better. We are all so different.

Hugs.

Linda
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

oh good luck and let us know how you are doing.I was really thinking about doing this when we get moved.I need to do something for energy.I do wish you so much success and I will follow how you do so I might try it.
  6. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I visited Curves here in our town about a month ago, and decided it would be waaaay too much for me. Imagine, I used to do aerobics, play tennis, and run, sometimes all in the same day. I agree that 30 mins. will probably send you to bed in a hurry. I decided to walk a bit more when I can, and have been able to maintain that. If you go, be veeery careful and slow. And, by the way, it is likely the aerobics part that will take you down. Take care. Marie
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2006]
  7. twerp

twerp New Member

Thanks to each of you for your responses.

It seems that your answers reflect my own hopes and fears. I want to do this, but I fear it may do more harm than good.

So, I guess the only thing to do is give it a try and NOT overdo it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!
    Twerp
  8. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

WooHoo! Hooray for you!

I know how hard it is. I've had a gym membership since 2001, and I used to be there faithfully for 5-6 days a week.

Since going back to school, I dont take the time I need to get to the gym. The stress of school has caused my health to decline terrible.

I'm lucky to make it 2-3 times a week now, and I'm not even in class. I've gained all my weight back (I'm back up to 235-240 lbs.) And, I have NO ENERGY.

I just went for blood work this morning....they took 9 vials from me and I passed out (of course). Maybe there's an underlying cause.

But, hang in there and remember something is better than nothing. I give you all the credit!! You WILL feel better.

Love & hugs,
    CockatooMom
  9. twerp

twerp New Member

You ladies are the greatest! I really do appreciate your insights and encouragement.

Hugs,
    Twerp
  10. a-b

a-b New Member

I've been going to Curves since 1998, way before my diagnoses of FM. I try to go 3 times a week. If I am too tired, I do an easy workout. If I am feeling relatively well, I work harder on the machines and not much on the boards. Listen to your body so you don't overdo it.

If it doesn't matter what time of day you go, try to find out when the lightest crowd is. Then you won't feel so hurried to move from the machines. You work out at your own pace but every 30 seconds you move to the next station.

It is fun to work out with just women. You should not ever feel pressured to work out harder. Talk to the trainers and they will help you get the best from your workout.

If they have the weight loss class, try it out. I found that I felt great while I was on the low carb diet. I also take their multi-vitamins and Fibro-Eze by Phoenix. Lots of B-vitamins and makes me feel better. Next time they offer the class, I will do it again. I need the structure of a class to keep me with the diet. I lost 11 pounds and 9 inches in 6 weeks and need to do it again! But I am maintaining for now.

Good luck to you. Ang
  11. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

didn't work for my mom. She went for a while on two different occasions and got hurt. She was also constantly harassed by the people who work there because they thought she wasn't doing things the way they liked. Didn't matter if she couldn't do it their way. She finally had to get a letter from her Dr. to get them off her back. NOT a good experience for her at all!

I went for a bit a few years ago, but they had weird hours, and I live out in the country and NOT a morning person, so it didn't work for me.

Raz
  12. TAM

TAM New Member

HI,
    JUST TAKE YOUR TIME AT YOUR WORKOUT AND IF SOMETHING IS UNCOMFORTABLE OR MAKES YOUR PAIN WORSE JUST DON'T PARTICIPATE IN THAT EXERCISE. I hope you end up enjoying the class.

If by chance you don't enjoy the class or you would rather workout alone or just with one of your friends you could always get exercise videos for your home and do them there, everything would be at the pace you chose to go that way, Good luck! Tammy
  13. twerp

twerp New Member

Had my first workout yesterday and it went well. I only went around the "circuit" one time, so as not to overdo.

Today, I am somewhat sore, which I expected, but other than that feeling "normal".

I guess Friday will be my real test, when I do the circuit twice, if I'm able. I understand that is considered the norm.

So far, no pressure from anyone to work harder than I can. I explained about the CFS and, if anything, they cautioned me not to work too hard.

Thanks to everybody who has replied to this thread. I'll post another update after I've been going for a while.

Hugs,
    Twerp