Need Some Help...Gallbladder Issues...What were your symptoms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by futurehope, Mar 15, 2006.

1. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Hi everyone, hope you are all feeling good today!!

Here is my story. In late 2004, the doc found bilirubin in my urine. I was told that it was transient!! He checked my liver enzymes and they were within normal range. A few weeks later he re-checked my urine, no bilirubin.

I the meantime, I was getting mostly dull, a few sharp pains that ran around the last ribcage on the right side.

Please excuse me for being gross, but my bowels also changed too. I had everything from whitish/gray to yellowish/orange stools.

I insisted that I wanted more tests ran. I had an ultrasound, CT Scan and Hida-Scan test. Nothing ever showed up.

A few months later, the pain stopped, stools went back to normal and I stopped worrying.

---------------

Step forward to October 2005, Doc. decided that it was time for more bloodwork and urine tests.

Guess what was found more bilirubin in urine. Again all liver function tests were fine. BUT this time I had a white cell count that was in the 14 thousands.

A few weeks later the pain started coming again, as mentioned above and the stools started changing also, like before.

This time all of the pain is worse than before. And more contstant. Still sometimes dull, sometimes sharp and moving around the back. It even wakes me up sometimes.

Please keep in mind that I have never had serious pain and had to go to the ER. Nor do my pains have anything to do with eating.

The Doc has not checked my Gallbladder at all this time.

---------------

I am hoping that some of you might have the same problems that I have.

Hoping for some replies to this.

Sorry posting so long, just wanted to explain everything!!

I also am getting ready to post again about my other situations that are going on now.

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Although it's been 17 years since I had my gallbladder removed...I can still remember the symptoms.

At the beginning, I had a sharp but defined back ache (when you put your thumb and finger together that's the right size) in the middle of my back that wouldn't go away.

Then months later I would wake up in so much pain that OTC meds wouldn't help.

Still later, I would have pain in my abdomen that you could actually tell was passing a gallstone each time I took a drink or ate a bite of food.

I remember telling my Mom she had gallstones when she would eat a salad and immediately be in pain from that. She too had the back pain.

Hope this helps some,

Nancy B.
  3. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Brenda!

It has been quite a while since I had my gallbladder problems but here is what I remember:

1. Nausea after eating.

2. Dull pain in abdomen (constant).

3. Very sharp stabs of pain that would wake me out of a sound sleep. This got to the point where I'd feel like someone had run a sword through me and was twisting it.

4. Fatigue.

5. My skin began to turn yellow.

There may have been more symptoms but it has been quite a while (20 years).

Please get some help for this, ASAP.

Best wishes,

Janice
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Does sound that it could be your gallbladder
  5. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

hi Brenda I am a Brenda too!

I had gall bladder issues for over 12 years before anything was done and it was nothing as exotic as you rtests.

Have they done an ultra sound to see if there are stones in the GB? I had that done and there were so many they said they could not count them all and did not bother too.

OMG I felt 10,000 times better when it came out that I over did things 3 weeks after surgery and herniated myself, felt so good again that I herniated AGAIN!

If you have yours out please do NOTHING that means if you have bad bowels get back into the surgoens office because just have a hard fiberous bowel movement can make you have enough pressure to herniate yourself.

I had all your bowel problems with colours and such it is not pretty but man tell your doc about that and if he does not know what to do ask him to let you see a surgeon for 2nd opinions. WHen the GB is gone you will have another set if problems like new diet and all that and I am just getting that all setled now and this fall it will be a full 2 years since I have had mine out.

Hope this helps Brenda :)
  6. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Thanks brooksiemom, it sounds like everyones symptoms are a little different. I had a little bit of a lower backache before all of the other symptoms started. And I NEVER have backaches that start in the middle of the back.

Thanks jhmitch, I get the stabbing pains too in the ribs, but not as severe as yours. I also have a lot of fatigue. My skin has never turned yellow and I have never had naseua.

Hi Brenda, I do not know too many people that are named Brenda!!!! They did not run tests on you??? At the end of 2004, they did an ultrasound on me because of my symptoms, there were no stones. They have not done anything for me this time.

I was so worried about the stools, I am not glad to hear that you had gallbladder problems, but am glad to know that someone else had the same problems with stools.

-------------------

The bilirubin in my urine is what REALLY SCARES ME. I am just afraid I may be the type of stone (as some only produce one stone) and then have it drop into the ducts somewhere and block off normal flow. This is very scary and has complications.

7. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

have you researched about billrubin? Do some sleuthing on your own and then either get a second opinion or just find another doc.

Glad to report that I am back on a diet that I swore I would never be on lol but my bowels are lovely today absolutely normal.

That just makes me blissful after having nasty ones like you describe.

All I had was the one test and no one checked my urine sounds like they are looking for something other then gall bladder issues and I would corner them on it.

GL Brenda
  8. lillyrose33

lillyrose33 New Member

Brenda,
    Hi I am having gallbladder surgery on the 30th of this month. Your syptoms sound somewhat like mine but I did have the pain in the middle of my back between the shoulder blades. I had the pain under my rib and as far down as my hip and I felt tired all the time and then the pain started one night....thought I was having a heart attack went to Doctor and she sent me to the hospital from the office. The hospital did stress test and blood work and it was not my heart. They kept me over night and sent me home the next day and told me to see my doctor so when I saw her she ordered Ulta sound which showed no stones but blood work showed infection so she sent me for a HIDA....want forget that one and it showed my gallbadder only working 12% so I ended up at Surgons office and he advised me to have it out. He said they saw no stones but he said they could be hidden. So, I am having it out and I am scared to death. Oh I forgot my stools changed color also, more whiteish yellow
    You should talk to your doctor and ask him if it could be your gallbaldder. They must supect something or they would have not had you have the HIDA Which shows the function of the gallbladder.
    Hope this helps and take care and talk to your doctor.

Cathy
  9. futurehope

futurehope New Member

I am VERY SORRY to say that I have researched on biliruin in urine, and it is NOT GOOD at all!!

I just put up another post, I had an appointment with my OBGYN today and he referred me to a Gastroenerologist. not sure if this is the right person, but I guess you never know.

I know that Gallbladder can cause those ugly stools. I am glad that you don't have that problem anymore. I read that the reason the stools look like that when it is your gallbladder is because there is not enough bile to give it its nice brown color.

My bilirubin was found in my urine by mistake. They were not actually looking for it. It was just there. It is funny too because I can have urine tests and it can be clear also, no bilirubin. I have had bilirbin in my urine twice in the past 2 years (that I know of).

Thanks and take care!!
    Brenda
  10. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Thanks so much for your response.

The one thing that I did not know is that stones can be hidden!!!

We are very similar, except I have never had to go to the ER with such awful pains.

My symptoms do cause pain, but not enough to go to the ER.

Like I said, I had an ultrasound, CT scan and Hida-Scan in late 2004 and everything was good. I had the pains and the stool issue too. They said no gallbladder problems.

When you said your blood showed infection. Did you mean your white blood count?

I wish you the best of luck on the 30th!!

Take care,
    Love and prayers,
    Brenda