Need Some Opinons On Evening Primrose Oil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lgp, Feb 2, 2009.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I know there have been postings on the old board regarding EPO, but I cannot find them. It was recently suggested to me by a friend that I try it for eczema and very dry, itchy skin.

I was wondering if any of you are currently taking EPO, and what you are taking it for. Any thoughts, suggestions, warnings, etc. that any of you can offer regarding this supplement would be greatly appreciated. The information I've read s far seems to indicate that it is used/recommended for a multitude of ailments.

2. equanimous

equanimous New Member

So I think that Evening Primrose Oil is a godsend. I'm sure that it is one of the major things that has helped me to regain a decent level of functioning as a suffered of ME/CFS. I initially went on it because my gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) levels were low. There are at least two theories about why essential fatty acids like EPO help those with ME/CFS, one of them being that the chronic viruses associated with ME/CFS can deplete EFA levels and the other being that EFA's (particularly GLA and omega 3's) as potent anti-oxidants help to scavenge the free radicals that can be high in PWC's. I think at least in part, the EPO helps me because of its anti-inflammatory nature. I have anti-nuclear antibodies, allergies, and other evidence of numerous inflammatory processes going on in my body, so I think anything I can take to counteract that is good. In my case, the EPO helps with brain fog and energy levels. I can't really comment on its efficacy in the case of eczema, but I can attest to the fact that it is certainly not snake oil.
  3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the instruction. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me to do that, but I did and stumbled across a wealth of information.

There is actually so much info there for EPO that I will have to go back and take my time reading all of it later this evening.

Again--thanks so much!