Need some serious bed and pillow advice!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jmq, Jul 26, 2009.

1. jmq

jmq New Member

I currently sleep in the valley on the left side of our king size bed. We have rotated it, flipped it, cuzzed at it, In defense of this mattress, we have had it for over 10 years old. '

I have scoliosis and fibromyalgia. My poor hubby has arthritis in his hips and needs support for his neck. I probababy need advice on some good pillows too.

if you have any suggetions, please let me know why you like your mattress and how expensive it may have been, and were you bought it. If you give me the name of the store or product, I will try to find them in my area.

Thank you so much!!! I just cant bare to be holding on to the ledge of the bed so I do not roll off for one more night ! LOL

Sleepless in Pembroke Pines,
    JMQ
  2. jole

jole Member

(lol) Ya know, we bought a Sleep Number when I was at the worst of my FM...about 6-7 years ago. Sometimes I hated it; sometimes I loved it. My hubby has consistently loved it...'cause I need it much softer than he does and both sides are adjustable. It's still like new.

BUT we needed a new mattress in the guest room (ours was over 30 years old...back from the days they actually "made" things). So we spent quite a bit..a lot...of money on a new Simmons Beautyrest....what a waste!! Within 6 months of maybe every-other-night use by me when hubby or I were really restless, it's shot! Talked to the company and they said their rule is it has to be "indented" 1 1/2 inches from edge to center in order for it to be considered refundable.

So I guess I'd go with the Sleep Number....maybe nothing is going to be comfy for my FM ALL the time....and it is certainly holding up very well!

As for pillows...they also have good ones (SN) but are soooo expensive, I still buy cheapies and restock when needed. Good luck....shopping is soooo hard.....Jole
  3. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

two single beds side by side can be better than a king size bed.

There is always the ole board trick: Put a few 1x6 inch or 1x12 boards under the mattress, though boards aren't cheap as they used to be.

I guess Goodwill doesn't sell mattresses anymore, but maybe check. Sometimes nearly new expensive mattresses are advertised in newspaper want ads. Good luck, mr Bill Oh, pretty sure I wouldn't recommend my mattress:)

[This Message was Edited on 07/27/2009]
  4. Toga

Toga Member

We have a Sleep Number (King Size) at home. We keep both sides at 100 and have had it over two years. We both really like it.

We have a lake cabin that we visit a lot of weekends during the warm months and there's a (Queen Size) very firm Temperpedic there. We both like it a lot too. It would be better if it was king size but the bedrooms there are really really small.

As you can tell, we prefer very firm beds. My husband has one of those Temperpedic pillows that he just loves. He takes it with him when he travels. I use a down pillow that's pretty smashed down. I do better with a pillow that is not too fluffy because of neck problems.

Good luck in your search. A comfortable bed is so important.

Toga
  5. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

I bought a queen size Sealy Posturepedic a long time ago. 15-20 years ago.
    I don't remember what it cost. $300? Anyhoo it still works just fine.

I think mattresses and underwear are great bargains. Both last for years and
    don't cost much to begin with. (Of course I'm talking about men's underwear,
    not the expensive silk and lace stuff gals like to buy.) Smiling out loud.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Rock
  6. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I swear by the Memory Foam, it is awesome. Before the memory foam we had just a regular mattress and both of us would have terrible back problems in the mornings. I know it was from the bed, because once we bought the Memory Foam mattress it all stopped. It just molds to your body perfectly. We bought the whole mattress one, however you can buy just the memory foam toppers at probably any store for cheap. I put those on all the other beds (my daughters) and they love it too.

We also love the memory foam pillows, they are the best.

Good luck
  7. jmq

jmq New Member

for your great advice! I have to go shopping soon...just need the energy! I will let you know what I end up buying :)

Rock....you always make me laugh...thank you for that too!!

jmq
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Yikes, I've been through at least 3 of them in the last 5 years, they just don't make 'em like they used to.

I've been shopping for a new one too but this time I'm going with 2 twin mattresses in place of a king sized one.

Just back from a mini trip to Rome and the bed was hard, simple, no pillow top....and the best thing for my back.

Please stop to consider if you spend a lot of time reading or sitting up in bed. This has been my problem, I practically live in the thing...and that's where I get my butt dent! (I'm tiny, no excuse for a mattress not to hold my weight) This has been killing my back for months now....

Pillow top mattresses may seem great for our painful conditions but they don't seem to have enough support if you sit up in bed for hours like I do.

I'm now on a hunt for the most firm mattress I can find to help support my weight yet help my back when I'm laying down sleeping.

Best of luck, do some research online too....

Hugs,

Nancy
  9. jmq

jmq New Member

you are right. I also spend ALOT of time in bed. I sit with the laptop for hours and hours so I have that issue too. Butt print LOL! I like the firm type too. I havent even had the energy to go shopping with my hubby yet....love getting all this advice first!

jmq
  10. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I have had my share of mattresses through out my life. Hard ones, soft ones, water beds, air mattresses, and the couch...LOL!!!! Last year I broke down and bought a Number Bed. I love it, and have a 2 inch memory foam topper on top that I bought, because I have Fibro too.

Best 2 things I ever bought. I love my bed, and topper......
  11. aessig

aessig Member

My husband and I are in the market for a new bed. Have had our king size mattress and box springs for over 10 years. One big problem is the hump in the middle of the mattress that has developed over the years. We are now looking at a Sleep Number. He has spinal stenosis and arthritis...needs firm support...and I have FM and Sjogrens and need a soft bed. Is there a problem with the hump developing in the middle of a king size SN?
  12. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I've slept on a generic sleep # bed and hated it. I need a firm mattress for my bad back. My daughter loves that it can get soft for her though. Last time I slept on this mattress it was just me so I pumped up both sides of the bed and slept in the middle! Have you emailed the company direct about a hump developing?
  13. aessig

aessig Member

Thanks Sunflower. We decided on the Sleep Number. Will let you know how it goes.