Need some suggestions!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MariaS, Dec 2, 2002.

1. MariaS

MariaS New Member

My husband and I are leaving for vacation Sunday to Buenos Aires. Naturally I am having a hard time with the fibro right now. My questions is, what can I do on the plane during the 12 hour flight to keep my legs from hurting so bad. My legs seem to be the biggest painful issue at the moment(tomorrow could be different!). I went to the doctor a few weeks ago for my regular check-up. I told him I was having a lot of pain. That was when he took all that blood and said I'll see you next month. That's like going to the dentist with a tooth hurting, having an x-ray taken, and the dentist saying, I'll see you next month! I really don't understand why doctors are so resistant to prescribing something for pain. They are sure quick to prescribe tranquilizing drugs. I won't take those. I do take Topamax, DLPA, CoQ10, Vitamin E and sublingual B-12. Sorry, I know I am venting. I am just frustrated. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions to help make the flight more comfortable?
    thanks
    Maria

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I did remember about the blood clotting thing. Will let you know how it all works out. Thanks again.
    Maria[This Message was Edited on 12/03/2002]
  2. MariaS

MariaS New Member

My husband and I are leaving for vacation Sunday to Buenos Aires. Naturally I am having a hard time with the fibro right now. My questions is, what can I do on the plane during the 12 hour flight to keep my legs from hurting so bad. My legs seem to be the biggest painful issue at the moment(tomorrow could be different!). I went to the doctor a few weeks ago for my regular check-up. I told him I was having a lot of pain. That was when he took all that blood and said I'll see you next month. That's like going to the dentist with a tooth hurting, having an x-ray taken, and the dentist saying, I'll see you next month! I really don't understand why doctors are so resistant to prescribing something for pain. They are sure quick to prescribe tranquilizing drugs. I won't take those. I do take Topamax, DLPA, CoQ10, Vitamin E and sublingual B-12. Sorry, I know I am venting. I am just frustrated. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions to help make the flight more comfortable?
    thanks
    Maria

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I did remember about the blood clotting thing. Will let you know how it all works out. Thanks again.
    Maria[This Message was Edited on 12/03/2002]
  3. kay

kay New Member

When I fly I ask for the emergency exit seats. They have more room where you can streach (SP) out your legs. Also I take a u- shape pillow for my neck. You also need to get up and walk, to keep your circulation going. Grab a couple pillows and blankets on the way to your seat. I use one for my lower back. DONT let on that you are in pain, because they will ask you if you can handle an emergency situation. Hope this has helped!! Kick back enjoy the flight, and have a great time. Let us know how it went when you get back. ENJOY, Linda
  4. sofy

sofy New Member

For 12 hrs. you need to make sure you continually get up and move around. There is a new problem happening to people who sit on planes for long times. They develope blood clots in their legs. This happened to a young healthy friend of mine and has been in the news recently. Set an alarm or whatever you have to do but get up and get those legs moving. Walk to the back of the plane as often as you can. Buen viaje! (not sure of the spelling)
  5. Kim

Kim New Member

Have a great trip.
  6. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

if you haven't pre-selected your seats, do it now. Choose an aisle and a window seat in the same row (Row 12, seats A & C or Row 9, seats G & I for example). The odds are very much against someone willingly selecting the middle seat, and if someone does get assigned there, just offer to trade one of your more desireable seats. You will probably wind up with an extra seat so you can stretch out a little more. Be sure to grab a couple pillows and blankets. Most cabins are chilly and you don't want to be sitting in a draft for the entire flight.
    Kathryn
  7. pepper

pepper New Member

I took a 10 hr flight to Hawaii and benefitted from advice from CFS/FM friends who travel. When I arrived, despite being the only one on the plane who didn't sleep (it was an all night flight), I felt fine.

1. Before you take off take some muscle relaxers (I took Valium) or Advil to ward off tensing muscles.

2. Book your seat ahead of time. On some planes, the bulkhead seat, like the emergency exit seat, will give you lots of leg room. Also make sure you have an aisle seat so you can stretch your legs and get up and down easily.

3. Bring lots of bottled water so you can stay hydrated. Make sure the caps are still sealed. Since Sept 11 they don't like opened bottles and will probably make you drink out of each one. Don't rely on the plane's water. If they run out of bottled water they fill the bottles with tap water that has been in the storage tank and some of those tanks have been found to contain e-coli.

4. Because you are drinking a lot you will have to get up a lot and go to the washroom. That's good because you can walk around the plane every half hour or so to keep your circulation going.

5. Bring an inflatable pillow for your neck and/or your back. You can also ask for extra pillows from the flight attendant. That way you can change your position by varying the location of the pillows.

6. Make sure you have something to put your feet on. I used my carry-on.

7. Wear shoes that can be slipped off and on easily and bring some thick socks so you can sit barefoot for some of the time.

8. Do ankle exercises, rotating them in all directions.

9. If you take medication such as Advil for pain and stiffness, make sure you can get at it easily if you need it. Take all your meds and supplements in your carry-on.

I hope you have a wonderful trip! Pepper
  8. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

I'm no help. I just take a valium. Works for me!
    Peace,
    Stormy

[ advertisement ]