Need some sympathy, maybe a therapist?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hurtnallover, Oct 21, 2008.

1. hurtnallover

hurtnallover New Member

I don't know where to turn. I'm 48 and have been going slowly downhill for 7 years. My pain level has risen to the point where I am not enjoying much of anything and my DH, bless his heart, does not have a clue what it is like to feel like crap just about ALL the time. I try not to complain because I know he's tired of hearing it. So, I hold off until I really need some sympathy, but I always feel worse after I say something because it's like he's just not interested or something. I'm sure it's just that he doesn't know what to say. I tried to talk to him tonight and he listened for a minute and then changed the subject. He has no idea how difficult it is for me to get through the day.

I don't like talking to my friends about it either. Don't have many anyway.

I should probably go to a therapist. Does anyone here see one? Does it help? If it wasn't for celexa I'd still be fantasizing about the day my kids are grown so I could off myself.

I'll probably try to talk my Dr. into putting me on prednisone long term again. 15 mg a day helps me a lot. My sholder and hip pain pretty much go away and it helps with the spine pain and all over pain too. Damn the side effects, I need help.

Well, thanks to anyone who took the time to read this. At least I know you understand and that you can probably empathise. God Bless you and help you find comfort.

2. whoachief

whoachief New Member

I am 47 and I feel the same way. It is so difficult to deal with this on a daily basis. I'm sorry you have to go thru this & I hope that soon you will find relief from your pain.
  3. misskoji

misskoji Member

Ugh, I'm sorry you're suffering so much. I'm not big into therapy. But that doesn't mean it isn't effective for others.

We are here. Here to listen to you, and empathize with your struggle. Try to uplift you and let you know you are NOT alone in this. If anyone understands how you feel, this is the group. Please my dear, vent away. It's so hard to supress how we really feel for sake of possible rejection,ignorance, misunderstanding, not understanding at all, and just overall blocked from what they can't comprehend. I don't have many friends in my civie life either, but here I feel I've found many.

I know just how hard it can be to want to tell someone close to you how absolutely rotten you feel. Sometimes they don't believe us. Or they are overwhelmed. with the whole concept. But sometimes they are struggling to understand and cope with it too. Your DH may feel helpless to make you feel better. And it probably frustrates him too. Men (most) are mostly quiet with their emotions. They don't know how to express what they feel or have it engraved in the brain that being emotional about something shows weakness.

I'm rambling now, sorry, I tend to do that from time to time. Open communication will do you both well. Whether that be in private or with the help of a professional, I don't think it would hurt. I think it would improve your understanding of one another.

Anyway my dear, I sincerely hope you can let it out, no matter the platform. You will find nothing but open minds and understanding here on this board. Talk to us. Maybe try joining us in the chat rooms here. I find it a heaven sent to talk to people who understand. Also to try to help others understand.

4. hurtnallover

hurtnallover New Member

I just dropped my kids off at school and couldn't wait to get home to see if I had any replies. I used to avoid this message board BC I thought it would cause me to dwell on my health issues too much. I think I tried to believe that I could overcome it. I have finally accepted that it is a permanent part of me and that I really need the kind of support that my DH can't give me. Thank you all so much for giving that to me. I will take your advice, Misskoji and come here more often and check out the chat rooms.

I felt so bad last night. I'm feeling better now. I always feel better in the morning after my meds kick in. Thank God for that and for you all too.

Hugs to you too.
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

You have it! We all understand how you feel. We live it, just like you do.

Has anyone given you any pain medication to help relieve your pain?

Just a little side note - the older your kids are, the more they need you, I know it seems the opposite, but it isn't. So we all need to find a way to cope long term. The problem is once you get so low, you don't think about those things. I was so down a few weeks ago, not one other person came into my mind - how selfish is that????? But that's what happens to your brain when you're so desperate. So you have to do whatever you can to stay far far away from those feelings.

I too am considering seeing a therapist. I really have no desire - don't feel like talking about anything, but I promised my Mom. I may actually call a psychiatrist. I have a friend w/ Fibro who loves her doctor, he's very good at understanding the brain and how certain meds work along with it. Who knows, I still have that phone call to make.

Main thing- you are FAR from being alone.