Need some yard sale help...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by painterZ, Oct 18, 2008.

1. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I've been cleaning like a mad-woman and getting rid of tons and tons of junk. Some of the stuff I've found hasn't even been looked at or opened like: paint-by-number kits, puzzles, candles, kitchen products (mixers, foundue pots), new purses...the list goes on and on. It's all stuff I've aquired over the years, mostly from my ex-mil, and never had a use for. I thought I could make a little money from a yard sale and put it towards a new carpet. Anybody have any ideas how I would even begin to price these things? I could really use the money otherwise I'd just give it all away.

2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Pricing can be a little tricky from what I've read on yard sale websites, but it doesn't have to be. I know people at yard sales want bargains and that the closer to the end of the day, items should get a little cheaper then what you priced them for at the beginning of the day. (Of course you don't want to give your stuff away either.)

I remember giving my next door neighbor some used but still really nice shoes of mine to sell at her yard sale--I think it was three pairs. We priced them at $10 a piece, and I got back $5 for all three!! People really want those bargains. SIGH.

I found this cool website that has all kinds of great tips on pricing and everything you ever wanted to know about yards sales like signs, keeping the right amount of cash on hand, etc.

Off topic on pricing, one thing I notice in my neighborhood is that people don't make their signs stand out enough. The markers they use for the lettering doesn't "pop" when I drive by. I would make sure that you make the signs bigger than you think you need to so that cars driving by can see them at a distance. Use bright colors too, maybe bright orange, yellow or turquoise.

Lastly, the website doesn't mention offering drinks like lemonade and iced tea. You can sell it for like 25 or 50 cents a cup, and it will add to your profits of the day.

Hope this helps and have an awesome yard sale!

Erika :)
  3. painterZ

painterZ New Member

and web link. I live on a street behind a main street so I was thinking that I'd put stuff out on the common area that's right on a main street. I never even thought about having the right change on hand...great tip. I've seen some pretty pathetic sale signs too...I want to make mine gi-normous to alert those potential customers.

I'm hoping this will be more fun than it is to plan:)

Thanks again...

4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

My pleasure to help. I'm not sure if the website mentioned this, but sometimes combining yard sales with a few other neighbors brings more foot traffic.

Let me know how it goes. Best of luck, and I'm sure you'll do great!

Erika :)
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

I've had a few yard sales and still have a hard time pricing items. I will say that my stuff seems to FLY so maybe I was cheaper than your average sale. ??
    I pretty much priced things at about 70% off the price that I paid/or what the item was new.
    (for household,toys,etc.)
    for clothing I had my jeans/pants,capris & such at $2 a pr.
    tops were $1-$1.50.
    good luck~
    its a lotta work,... but I guess worth it in the end.

6. painterZ

painterZ New Member

The weather here finally broke and as long as we can keep another Indian Summer away I'm thinking a yard sale will be sorta fun...well at least a learning I'll try it once just to see what happens:)