Need someone knowlegable to answer questions...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Staceymarie, May 8, 2006.

1. Staceymarie

Staceymarie New Member

Does anyone else on this board ever get into a "yawning fit? There are days when I am constantly yawning (one right after the other) and I know that's not normal. This spell will go on for about 2 hours and then just stop. When you have yawned bout 20 times in one minute, that's scary. What could this be and should I see my doctor about this OR is this just normal for FM??

Also, my neck and shoulders are always aching and I know that's part of FM....have had this for years. However, what exactly are these "knots" in my neck and shoulders and what causes that to happen?? When people ask, I really don't know...just tell them it's part of FM.

Thanks..
    SM
  2. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i'm not knowledgable but yes i have days where all i do is yawn my my eyes water :)

as far as i know about them, sh** happens
  3. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I got this from Medline - Excessive Yawning

"Yawning is a normal response to fatigue and drowsiness, but excessive yawning can be caused by a vasovagal reaction and may indicate a heart problem."

More info on the Vagus Nerve:

"vagus nerve." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2006. Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 8 May 2006

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9074624

The vagus nerve is a cranial nerve that is also involved with several major organ systems. It runs right by your thyroid.

It would be possible that if you had an infection w/ lymph node involvement or if you had an enlarged thyroid that this could be stimulating the vagus nerve and causing your yawning problem.

Due to the potential for heart trouble, please go see your doctor. It is better to be safe.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie