Need suggestions on pain meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Jun 29, 2008.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I have been on lortab for over 2 1/2 years now. They do the job most of the time, but next monday i have an appt with my fibro doctor. She is really good about letting me make my own decisions about my pain meds.

I was hopeing to get some suggestions on something different for my pain.

I hope there is someone out there who can just suggest something that might work better, or different.

I have been taking 4 lortabs a day. Sometimes I take an extra 1/4 a tab and it knocks me out. Just that little difference. My doctor did tell me that I really dont need to be on more than 4 a day because of my liver. So far my liver is fine, but it could cause damage. While I have been a type 1 diabetic since 1973, and it doesnt help much. I just dont really worry about my liver that much. I am not going to be alive forever, and I think quality is more important than quantity.

2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

There are many many pain meds out there. It is definitely a discussion topic to have with your doctor.

Personally I take Oxycontin ER 20mgs twice a day, Vicodin for breakthrough pain

I have taken Morphine, Percocet, Demerol as well...I did not like the Morphine.

But there are many others as well...Ultram, Tramadol etc etc...that's why you need to talk with your doctor about what works best with your treatment program. You may have to try a few before you are happy.
  3. JJJules

JJJules New Member

That's great that you've been able to take same thing & practically same dosage for so long! My doc and I have realized that my body gets used to certain meds very quickly so we are going to switch around going forward. I'm ecstatic about this because I took Oxycontin for over 2 years and it became less effective, we'd raise dose (repeat) until I was taking simply too much. I knew it was a problem because I knew I needed oral surgery & kept thinking "what are they going to be able to give me that will work???!!"

Anyway, sorry to ramble. Instead of recommending Oxycontin ((worked well but hard to detox), I'm going to mention methadone. There's a little conversion table they use to switch narcotics & I bet you would not have to take much at all!! it's also inexpensive & I believe has few side effects (i could be wrong). it does make me rather sleepy at times---but nothing 5 shots of espresso can't handle ;-)

Best of luck. I think trial and error is the key and your dr's willingness to listen and switch you around will make it super easy! there are lots of different meds out there that I've found to help me reach a pretty functional level. The pain never leaves but these things definitely do their job in taking the edge off.

Take care @ let us know what you try & how it works;-)

4. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I would certainly double check the no problems with methadone. I have a good friend, a nurse, honey she took it and got hooked bad. She had a horrible long situation getting off of it.

I take Percocet 5/325 but my doctor is bumping me to 10mg instead of 5 now. These have worked for me 5 years before needing to bump it up.
  5. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Thanks for the responses!

I think my biggest fear is switching meds, and then having some reaction, as far as a withdraw of somekind. Although I quit taking darvocet cold turkey when I started the lortabs.

I do feel lucky as far as them working for so long. I have always been very sensitive to meds. Like I said before, the lortabs still do ok, it just the days that I am having more problems than others, I dont want to overdue the lortabs.

I just recently ran into one of my 3rd cousins and her and her mom both have fibromyalgia. They are on the oxycontin, and said it worked for them. I am just afraid of bad reactions. They gave my morphine in 1981 when my son was born, and I was never so scared in my life. I did not like the hallucinations, very scary.

Anyway like I said before, I am really needing something for the bad days, and something that is going to not have such a big gap inbetween. That inbetween is really a "B", it makes it harder to bare. I did try the tylenol, and ibprofin thing, but it just didnt cut it.

Thanks to all who replied, and I hope to find something right for me. Maybe I can get something besides the lortabs, and only take it every once and awhile.

Thanks again! Julie
  6. zerped

zerped New Member

I am really allergic to opiates, and I have been taking oxycodone for 6 of the last 7 months, and really happy with it. I was given morphine for surgery on a broken leg several decades ago, and went into anaphylactic shock (what Uma Thurman's character did in "Pulp Fiction"). My doctor decided to try the oxycodone even though I had a bad reaction to codeine the only time I (by mistake) took it. the very first day on the oxycodone, I just reminded myself, "I'm perfectly fine, I just feel edgy because of the codeine and I'll be better soon." From Day 2 on, I haven't had a problem with it.

I just didn't want to see anyone turn their back on some much-needed relief. If my hypersensitivity to morphine didn't get in the way of taking oxycodone, then people should keep an open mind...

7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi there,
    If you need something for the "in between times", then Oxycontin would be a good option. You can start with a very low dose to see how you do. It's great for steady pain relief. I can't even tell that I've taken it, it just helps with the sudden drop when my other pain meds wear off.
    If you are worried about your liver, you can also switch to a short acting pain med that has less Tylenol in it - one that has 325 mgs instead of 500. Norco (Vicodin) has a 5/325, 7/325 and a 10/325.