Need SuggestionsLong

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by louiesgirl2, Oct 8, 2008.

1. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

Hi all,

Has been a while since I have been here. Lots going on.

Found out that what we thought was depression turned out to be thyroid and severe anemia. Now have them both under control with meds.

I am being weened off of Lexapro. I was on 20mg daily and now am on 5mg daily. What I have noticed is that my FM has flared up and on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, I am a 10 for the pain scale.

The good thing is emotionally, mentally, etc I feel so much better and am my old self again.

I am thinking of trying Lyrica again once I am totally off the Lexapro. I had some odd side effects the last time and I do not know if it was the mix of meds.

Is there anything out there that I am not aware of that could help. I cannot take the usual pain meds as I work full time and they usually put me under the table.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless and keep you,
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

The same thing happened to me when I went on a lower dose of Zoloft than I was suppose to be taking. My pain shot up. When I went back to my regular dose, the pain diminished.

Before this DD, I had decreased my dosage, but did not get the pain.

The decrease in the antidepressant is causing your seretonin level to drop. Low seretonin equals pain. That is why antidepressants are often given for pain conditions, even if you are not depressed.

When I went into the flare from the lower dose of Zoloft, my doctor even gave me a narcotic. It barely touched the pain.

It did take three weeks getting back on my regular dose of Zoloft for me to notice a big difference.

I would talk to the doctor who prescribed the AD about this.

Hope this helps.

ETA I had horrible side effects with the Lyrica.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/09/2008]
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

Keep trying to get something that will help your pain, ok? (Read my other reply to you about SSI, please).

Lyrica might be a good one to try; just know the side effects to watch for, and be sure you know how to wean off it if it doesn't work for you.

Keep trying, and KEEP NOTES, LOL...when you read my other reply to you, you'll know what I mean, ok?

4. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

My doctor is great at documenting. Plus I have been seeing a pschy.

I tried Lyrica, not good for me too many side effects. I have been working for over 5 years so I do not think I have a problem with quarters.
    I hate being on Cymbalta or any of those as it makes me foggyier than ever. Since I am down to 5mg of Lexapro my sense of humor is back and I do not feel groggy or foggy. However, the pain has increased tenfold. And yes, I am a secretary and it is increasingly becoming difficult to do my job.

I keep my mouth closed about it at work for the obvious reasons. Even just sitting in a chair for too long hurts.

The thought of even going for a walk scares me. YUCK

Again thanks for your help.l
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I read recently about malic acid and magnesium helping some people with fibro pain. I "only" have CFIDS, no FM, so don't have the pain you do, but I'd look into this if I were you. Here's a link to an article on this website with more info:

It should be taken with magnesium for best results. If you read the foregoing article, it states that 600 mg. twice a day didn't help, but that 1200 mg. twice a day did. So dosage can mean everything when seeing if something will help or not.

Do a search on this board - there are several posts about this.

6. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

You know my first rheumy recommended that for his fibro patients. I forgot all about it. I will definitely give it a go.