Need support - bad CT Scan

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mek918, Aug 1, 2003.

1. mek918

mek918 New Member

Hi -

I had made an appt. with a neurologist to discuss treatment for FM. Luckily it's on Monday.

I went to the ER on Tuesday bc I was suffering from a horrible headache that just would not go away, and I was scared. Well, they did a CT scan of my head and it wasn't normal. The doctor said it showed a "low attenuating area in the posterior ganglionic region on the right hand side." Whatever that means. Doctor doesn't think it's a tumor. But what could it be? I'm terrified.

Has anyone had an irregular CT before and had everything turn our okay? I don't know what to think. I did have an MRI back in March which was completely normal.

Regardless, this 3 week headache won't go away. I just can't work...
  2. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

I will give you encouragement by saying it's good news that the doctor doesn't think it's a tumor. Also, great that you had the CT done and found it. I had a CT of the brain done a few months ago because I was smelling an odor that no one else could smell. I was told that is one of the signs of a brain tumor. Luckily the CT scan was normal but I WAS SCARED TO DEATH the whole time. So my point is, I know what you are going through. Take one day at a time until you get the answers and have faith! Blessings.......
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

knowing is probably the worse part. I've never had anything like this, but just wanted to give you some encouragement. We always think the worse, so try and relax and not worry, easier said than done, I know.

Take Care,
    Dara
  4. Hippen

Hippen New Member

Just wanted to send some prayers your way with hopes that everything turns out for you. Do you have high blood pressure? I agree that this is probably not a brain tumor. I think it has more to do with blood vessels based on your CT scan results. I am not a doctor so this is only a guess. What is their next step in finding out what is wrong...have they told you? Maybe injecting dye and retaking a scan to see the flow of the dye in the brain? Please keep us uo to date on your progress. Love, Hippen
  5. mek918

mek918 New Member

I actually talked to my uncle, who is a pyschiatrist. He said to relax. Based on the description, it's definitely not a tumor. It could be nothing at all, or it could be some kind of nerve compression. Now THAT would make sense...with all these aches and pains, numbness and creepy crawly feelings I've been getting. Maybe those knots in my neck are compressing the nerves, etc. etc.

So, bringing the scan to the neurologist on Monday. We'll see if he wants to do another MRI since I had one in March. But I'm less scared now, even though I still don't feel like I can get anything done.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hope all is well when you see the new doc. Please keep us updated.

Love, Mikie
  7. mek918

mek918 New Member

Saw neurologist today. He said the CT scan was nothing to worry about. My brain is fine.

However this headache is still here after three weeks. He's convinced it's a migraine that just will not go away. It's truly awful. I don't know how I'm supposed to work with a migraine, but I don't have any choice.

I'm going to start taking depakote. Zomig/immitrex did not help me. So let's hope for the best. If that doesn't work, he suggests botox injections in my neck. I just want to feel normal for a day....
  8. Jen F

Jen F New Member

they gently manipulate the bones and I think spinal meninges and sometimes can help people with headaches.

Hope you find relief soon!

Jen F