NEED SUPPORT - LET'S PULL TOGETHER-EMAIL OPRAH-WE NEED HER HELP!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 1sweetie, Aug 20, 2006.

1. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Hey Everybody!

Is everyone aware that in O (September edition), Oprah's magazine that there is an article CFS???

What do you thank about all of us going to her website and under email there is a place to send emails to the magazine and send a thank you for the article and what it means to us for the recognition? I would like to ask for a show devoted to the disease.

It would take all of us sending emails to get her attention. What do you think? Can or will we do it?

Please see later post on this thread titled "Thanks Everyone".

[This Message was Edited on 08/21/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2006]
  2. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I'd like to read it first. She's been so stubborn about "believing" in FM
    and CFS for so many years it's hard to judge until I've read it. I HOPE she is being supportive in it. She did ONE thing on FM several years ago and it was some woman who said she had "cured" herself with exercise. It was one of those "mind over matter" things Oprah so loves. I remember at the time thinking that if you don't have a mind it doesn't matter.

Since then there have been dozens if not hundreds of letter and email attempts at getting her to feature these dd's on her show and all to no avail. I never even heard of any one getting an acknowledgement that she
    received the emails. BUT where there's life there's hope, so I will read the article!!
  3. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

There is another thread about the article on the board. I hope you read it and please let me know what you think.

I had read on the board before that she was not interested in our disease but I thought the article was pretty well written although there is more to be told.
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just for the heck of it, I e-mailed the producers of Oprah's show, requesting that they do a show on CFS soon. They probably get a million such e-mails, but who knows? The more from Fibro or CFS sufferers, the more likely they'll listen.

Kholmes
  5. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

Hi,

Just thought I would drop a note and let you know that I have sent a e-mail to Oprah's producers and I hope that they set up a show as well for all of us who suffer from CFS & FM. I hope my two cents will help.

Noahvale
  6. gracepartaker

gracepartaker New Member

I just e-mailed her it was easy thanks for this idea
  7. Sparker

Sparker New Member

WOW Count me in...woops, I just read the info on her and the "attitude" towards this issue and will go slower I've been out of it for so long that I am lacking in tons of up to date knowledge about the world outside of CFIDS and FM.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/20/2006]
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

To e-mail Oprah's producers and request that she do a show on CFS and/or Fibro, go to this address:

http://www.oprah.com/email/tows/email_tows_main.jhtml

It's easy and only takes a few minutes to do.

Who knows? It's definitely worth a try!

Kholmes
  9. ll1816

ll1816 Member

I just emailed the Oprah Show. This is what I said:

I first want to say thank you to Oprah Magazine for publishing an article on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in her most recent issue.

I suffer with this awful condition along with Fibromyaliga. It would be so wonderful if Oprah could do a show on these two debilitating illnesses, as they are very related and many folks have both.

It's time that the public be made more aware of what it's like for those of us who suffer to know what it's really like, and that it is very real.

Many people, including doctors, think it's "all in our heads" because we may not look sick. However, there are some doctors who do work with us.

There needs to be more public education and the Oprah Winfrey Show would reach so many households. We suffer in silence because many do not believe in our pain and we lose our friends. Some of us lose our families and jobs.

Please help us to get these acknowledged as a real illnesses. I'm sure there would be many doctors who would be willing testify to the pain that we go thru. Thank you for your consideration.

I hope that if we keep emailing them, eventually our voices will be heard.

Hugs to all,
    Liz
  10. ll1816

ll1816 Member

11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

That's an interesting username!

Well-written letter. I mentioned the latest CDC study on CFS and genetics.

The more of these letters, the better.

Kholmes
  12. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

we shall see....!
  13. misskoji

misskoji Member

Any way we can get understanding for this DD is great. I think she should be thanked. I just wish she would do a show on it, imagine how much more our DD would be understood. I'm dreaming. Maybe if we all write, she'd be a little more encouraged?

14. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I couldn't bring myself to include my personal story, but here's what I wrote:

Dear Oprah, thank you for all the good you are bringing into the world on a daily basis.

I am very grateful that you have used your time and resources to educate the public about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in a past show.

In recent years, new research into causes and treatments of this disease has come to light. Yet, most people who are disabled by CFS are still treated with scorn by relatives and medical personnel who are not informed about the disease.

Will you help to educate people about this once again? There is now lab proof that it is a real, physical illness, and not a psychological abberation, and there is now real hope for treating this disease.

Once again, thank you for letting your light shine and cheering on so many people in the battles they face day to day. Your compassion and kindness inspire us all. Thank you for giving so much.
  15. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I also sent her a message. It was easy. Thank you
  16. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Thanks to all that have sent messages to Oprah. I have to believe if there is enough messages and with the current push for recognition that we may have a shot at this.
    If not, we are letting our voices be heard.

I just started a thread asking a Moderator if she could give us the amount of people that use this board and if it was OK if I asked for someone from either the magazine or show to visit us and get to know what it is really like to have our "syndromes".

VOLUME is going to be the key. Please ask your friends (on and off) the board, your family, and anyone that is willing to please undulate them with our request to be heard in a respectful way.

On the right hand side of the opening page of the Oprah Winfrey web page you will find the word emails in a column. Once you click on that there will be several places that you can send emails. I am sending mine to both the request for a show and to the magazine as a thank you and a request for the show.

We can do this. Let's help ourselves. There have been some good letters sent. If you feel like it, please post the letter that you sent and if not just let us know that you have sent an email.

Thank all of you again and again.
  17. jeduanboneis

jeduanboneis New Member

So glad to see we are coming to light!!!

Will be glad to e-mail her site soon.

Am feeling pretty bad right now, but will contact her after some rest. And will encourage my husband to do the same.

1Sweet ~ Thanks for the heads up !!!!!

Jeanne
  18. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Hey, Sweetie. I have to be honest with you. I used to watch Oprah but don't anymore because even though I know she has done a lot of good, there is something about her and the types of shows that she does that make me feel uneasy. I won't go into detail because I really dislike saying negative things about people.

That said, I will support your campaign...because it's you and I know your motives are pure and sincere. If she does feature a show about CFIDS and FMS, I hope that it does not end up emphasizing the people who have recovered instead of the ones still suffering. She is so into being in charge of your life and "mind over matter" and that concerns me.

But, hon, you can count on me. I'll do my part.

Blessings,

Lolalee
  19. tlayne

tlayne Member

What a good idea! I will e-mail Oprah today. I think you have a really good idea about asking if she can visit this board. Some of these posts break my heart. So many post in such despair, myself included! I am willing to let her read mine. Keep up the good work! Hugs, Tam
  20. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Mind over matter irks me too although I do believe the mind is a powerful thing. Each time I recovered from breast cancer or they took out another body part, so many people told me it was because of my positive attitude. What does that say to people that don't recover? Were they not positive enough? It makes you feel responsible for your illness. God just had another purpose for me.

I thought it was to help others and I did until I got these diseases. My past illnesses and life has not been easy and yes, I always thought why not me instead of why me. Life is not fair and it was not promised to us that it would be.

That is one of the reasons that this has "kicked me in the butt". I was not a different person when I got this disease but I am now. It made me lose my purpose in life. I was making a difference in this world in my own small way. Now it seems I am just a burden.

That is why it is so important to me for people to understand how there are good, hard working, caring people that can't contribute like we did or want to do. I hear on this message board cries for help and I heard similar problems before and now I am not able to help myself let alone anyone else. I hope I am not sounding like I'm bragging but it was my passion to help others..that helped me. The last thing I worked on before I crashed was a major food drive and toy drive for those in need at Christmas. It gave me joy. Others have cared for sick family members or donated time and money to churches or Humane Societies. We all use to make a difference to someone that we can't do that for now.

We are not lazy or malingers or want to be sick. We want to be vital and important to our families and communities. We need the real story told.

I had not thought about it the way you said. I pray that will not happen. If we word our emails properly and tell them about who we were and what we did and how we can not do those things now maybe they would see it through our eyes.

Sorry I got carried away. I just want people to know who we really are and that our disease needs to be taken very seriously.

You take care Lolalee!!!