Need techie info about an online "camera"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Marta608, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

At one time I had a little camera thingie that sat on the top of my monitor. My son in California had one too, and we chatted. It wasn't perfect but it let us keep in touch without having to spend the money and time on a plane.

When we got Windows XP, the camera no longer worked (then my movers stole it anyway). What I want to know is if there's anything like that to use now so we could keep in closer touch with one another. The children are growing and I'm missing it. It's hard for me to fly there and very expensive for five of them to fly here.

What say you, techies? Anyone have anything like this? What is the cost and is it simple to install and use, both prerequisites.

Thanks ahead of time for your time and energy.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I have a webcam. I have XP also. I use a free service called Speedlift -
    It was sent to me by a work colleague - I was nervous to install since I'm definitely NOT a technie - oh my how easy it was. You install a disk - it tells you exactly what to do.
    It really is cool!
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yes, that's what I mean. So they're still selling them, apparently. Good - and thanks! Any special brand? Approximate cost?

4. Jorgie

Jorgie New Member

I use Skype to talk to friends out of state. I would suggest that when you get a camera you make sure it has a microphone so you don't have to wear a headset. Other than that the higher the resolution the better the picture will be.
  5. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

Microsoft makes them too. Basically the sky is the limit when it comes to price. You can purchase basic webcams or you can get as fancy as you want. I know some people use their digital cameras in lieu of a webcam and the resolution is excellent, but I have not tried that so I don't have any suggestions for that.

They are very simple to install and if you get hung up, just post and we'll figure it out for you. I'm a technogranny by night and a Technical Support Engineer by day *LOL*.

6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks for the information. How does a person go about getting set up with Skype and how much does it cost? I didn't find that info online. I did look up webcams online and they're about $90 each unless you get a reconditioned or used one.

I've seen Skype used on Oprah and sometimes the sound and the action don't match. Have you had that happen to you?

7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Oops! We must have been posting at the same time.

How wonderful of you to offer to help! I may take you up on it if I get a webcam - or whatever. I have NO idea how I'd use my digital camera for that purpose.... As far as I know, it just takes pictures.

The sky is not the limit for purchase price, so once I get some more info on Skype, I'll shop around.

8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

And thanks to you! I seem to have run out of energy for today so I'll go "shopping" online tomorrow.

9. Jorgie

Jorgie New Member

Skype is free to use. I talk to my buddy in Louisiana and I haven't had any problems with it losing audio or visual sync. If you want anymore advice just holla.

Shop around on the net. There are many places and if you find a camera you like google it and see if you can find it cheaper :)
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm hollering.

So, Skype is something a person subscribes to but has their own camera? What is the advantage over a webcam - other than movers can't steal it. ;>/

Also, please see questions above.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/23/2008]
  11. Jorgie

Jorgie New Member

This link shows you what you can do for free and what services you can pay for.

Getting set up is very easy. You download the software and create an account.
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'll put it on my To Do list for tomorrow when I'm fresh(er). lol