Need tips on how to adjust

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KMD90603, Mar 7, 2007.

1. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

So, I've been trying not to think about this, but as the time draws closer, I cannot keep putting it off. I'm graduating from nursing school in a little over 2 months, and I'm terrified. I'm going to be working in a hospital. I owe them a year of full-time employment in return for paying for my school. Well, there were no day shift positions available on the unit I chose to work on, so it was either evenings (11am to 11pm) or nights (7pm to 7am). All of my co-workers kept saying not to work evenings because it's extremely difficult for a new graduate, so I chose nights.

Anyway, having ME/CFS is going to pose quite a challenge with getting adjusted. I'm going to be doing 3 12-hour shifts in a row, and then I'll have 4 days off. My son is school-age, so I'll be able to sleep while he's in school. I guess I just need advice or tips on how to manage this major adjustment period. It's hard enough for anyone without a chronic disease, but my immune system is already so depressed and I'm constantly getting sick. I can only hope that once I graduate and have less on my plate, I will not get sick as often. But, I worry that this complete change of schedule is going to throw my body into a major crash.

I'm getting so nervous as the time draws closer, so if anyone has any words of wisdom to help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hugs,
    Kim
  2. pat460

pat460 New Member

I used to work rotating shifts with 2 weeks on each shift. Nights were the worst for me. The only way I could sleep was to fix my bedroom so that it was totally blacked out. Put black paper, cloth, or something similar over your windows. Keep the room at a cool temperature. Wear earplugs and turn the ringer off on your phone. If you can take a sleep aid and get up refreshed instead of groggy then that would be good to do also. That's the only tip I have for you--make plans on how best to get your much needed rest.

Hope it helps a little, pat460