Need to buy a NEW WASHER&DRYER==any advice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zenouchy, Oct 29, 2007.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi All,

Our washer and dryer of ten years is getting old and very noisy. We think they're getting ready to kick the bucket fairly soon. We've looked at new ones and are trying to determine if we should buy those new high efficiency (HE) front loaders (which as you may know are pretty pricey), or stick with the tried and true top loaders.

We understand that the HEs use a lot less water (which is nice on the environment) and are more gentle on the clothes because they don't have agitators. However, we've also heard from some people that their repair record isn't really that great and that they actually need lots of repairs. For machines that are so pricey, that isn't very encouraging.

The top loaders are more affordable obviously, but you have to do more loads of laundry and use more water.

What do you all think? What brands do you like? What stores do you like that offer good prices and service?

Thanks much for your thoughts and opinons. Have a happy and peaceful day.

[This Message was Edited on 10/29/2007]
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

We had Maytag washer and dryer that was only 10 years old and they were starting to act up a bit. So one day I woke up from a nap and my hubby had gone out and bought a new washer and dryer!! It was such a surprise! He bought Bosch front loader and I just love it!!!

We have bad luck with washers. They don't last very long for us. The first pair only 7 years, the next only 10 even though it was a Maytag supposedly a good brand. I use them a lot washing rugs, comforters etc, so I really wear them out.

I feel good about the front loaders because they are more earth friendly. I have to lug home the hug laundry detergent from Costco much less often. And my clothes are clean!!! And they do show less wear from washing!!! They pay for themselves after a while like my sister said.

I never heard about the higher repair bills, I sure hope that is not true!!!

Good luck with your decision!

3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

You could call an appliance repair place and ask what brand they recommend.

I think one that has the Energy Star is a good place to start. And, be sure to check out the warranty--maybe even getting the extended warranty would be good.

Oh, and my friend has a Sears that has about 4 different water settings.
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Thank you Molly, Dar, and Beadlady for your time and input!

Sounds like everyone is happy with their front loaders. Beadlady, thanks for reminding me to call some appliance repair places---great idea!

I appreciate everyone's help.

Have a great night everyone! Erika
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

He always recommends Whirlpool brand, which I actually had to start with, under the brand 'Kenmore', without knowing it at first.

Anyway, he says the simpler the model, the better, that it's rare that the 'extras' are really worth it; seems like his advice has geen good, as when we've needed repairs, they've been minor and often our fault (like olive pits in the dw!)

So I have a whirlpool dw, washer, and dryer for past 20 years. I've only replaced washer/dryer once, of course dishwashers are something else again... :( think we're on the 4th one in 20 years, but somewhere I read average longevity was about that.

On the bright side, my (Whirlpool) refrigerator is 24 years old remarkably! I am looking into replacing it tho because a couple door shelves are broken and theinsulation is coming off the bottom of the door.

One thing you might to do is consult Consumer Reports, as different models under different brand names compare differently anyway. Just a thought - a 1 month subscription online is only $4.95, and you can search their past reviews.

all the best,

6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

So you are looking for a washer and dryer. Have you considered the scratch and dent at Lowes? They usually put this stuff out on Sunday morning. If you want, I'll also look at them when I'm in Lowes.

Do you want me to look on Consumer Reports for you to see if they have evaluated them? I have a subscription with consumer reports online.

I purchased my Fisher Paykel washer and dryer at Lowes in the scratch and dent section. My dryer loads from the TOP. This is so much easier on my arthritic back. However, if someone were short, this top load wouldn't work.

I think you have to purchase some special laundry detergent with the front load machines.

Doesn't Austin offer some kind of rebate if you purchase a water wise appliance? it may be worth looking into----

Hey, Erika.
    consumer reports does rate the front load and top load washingmachines including repair history. They also have ratings for the clothes dryer. I purchased mine before I had the subscription to online consumer reports. Email me if you want more info from consumer rpts.

[This Message was Edited on 10/29/2007]
  7. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Recently saw a European model that combined both washer and dryer in one machine. Interesting concept, but wasn't hooked up yet, so can't report much else about it. mr Bill
  8. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Thanks for your responses everyone!

Victoria, my comments to you are at the end because they are the longest.

Joy, thanks again for all of your help! Terch, my hubby and I haven't checked out Sears yet, but it sounds like you are very happy with machine. We'll have to take a look there. I agree---I need a machine to fold my clothes and put them away; that would be divine.

Mr. Bill, a washer/dryer combo DOES sound interesting. Kind of like the TV/VCR concept. It sounds like heightwise, it would be very long---makes me wonder if they would fit in people's homes---gotta have tall ceilings perhaps. Maybe the US will start offering them?

Victoria, your repairman sounds like a relative to a repairman I spoke with a few months ago! He also told me that he likes Whirlpool appliances and that the extra bells and whistles aren't worth it. How funny. He also thinks that the extra features are more likely to break down. And a fridge that's lasted 24 years---WOW, sounds like a record!

We just got a new side by side refrigerator/freezer a little over a year ago. I have some advice for you if you want it---things I've learned now that I own I new one (mostly warranty stuff). I'll post to you separately. You can discard it if you've heard it before. Hope it helps though!

Take care everyone and have a happy and peaceful day!

Erika :)

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Had a front loading washer/drying all in one unit years ago. It was very expensive and worked well but took longer, obviously, to do the laundry.

My kids bought an expensive pair with the plastic on top, can't remember the brand but it was supposed to be state of the art. They had a repair, under warranty, but the guy said that they would probably last the rest of their lives.

I tend to not want to spend $2,000 for a washer and dryer which sit in my laundry closet. If they were out as part of the house or condo, I'd be more likely to spend more for them. It does appeal to me that they are kinder to the environment.

Both my washers have developed rust around the top underneath and specks of it fall into the washer and ruin my clothes. Neither washer was very old. I leave the lid up to allow the washer to dry out when I'm done. It's even rusty under the plastic mouth of the bleach filler upper. Now, do I just buy the cheapest washer I can find to make do or wait until I can afford a nice pair.

It's hard to believe that the $2,000 jobs would pay for themselves very rapidly. I think the earth-friendly feature resonates more with me. We have a warehouse here which sells appliances at very low prices because it's direct and I think their prices are a bit better. Also, I think the prices may come down a bit. I'm not ready to make a decision just yet. I do love the looks of those machines, though. If I bought a colored pair, I'd probably leave the doors to my laundry closet open so I could look at them :)

Love, Mikie
  10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I agree, the prices of the HEs are quite high and to that end, one wonders exactly when they would pay for themselves? Seems like one could be waiting for awhile. Hard to know. I like the environmental aspects also (like you) and that they're more gentle on the clothes.

I'm looking into some places that offer discounts on minor scratch and dents. I don't want anything with a huge flaw, but if it's something small that no one will notice anyway and it will save us some noticeable dough, that's would be really ideal. Joy said that Lowes offers this. As long as it has the same warranty that would be cool. I'm not completely sold on the HEs yet, but they do sound good. I also like the thought of less laundry loads!

Who knows, maybe soon they'll come out with designer styles on the washers---leopard prints, plaid, argyle, paisley. Now wouldn't that just be totally silly? I've seen stranger things happen...

Have a great nite,

11. therealmadscientist

Guess I wasn't's the same size as a small washing machine. First it washes clothes, then switches to a dryer mode. Suppose it saves on materials used, and on space, but don't know about energy efficiency. Most Euro appliances tend to be energy efficient I think.

I think it's front loading with viewer window in front.

Good luck with choices, your mr Bill
  12. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

You said "one machine". I just didn't read it closely enough. Sounds neat and very environmentally friendly. I could sure use the extra space too! Thanks for explaining it in more detail.

Have a wonderful nite, Erika
  13. joyfully

joyfully New Member

You could take your laundry down to the creek that runs through your subdivision and wash them on one of the flat rocks! Would that be considered "earth friendly" (so you would qualify for a rebate with the City of Austin?

Ha, ha.
  14. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Now THAT'S earth-friendly---not to mention free. Love it!

15. therealmadscientist

Aren't raccoons obsessive compulsive about washing food, perhaps they could be trained to.......

I do remember a story about raccoons. I guess a lemon merange (Spell?)pie classically disappeared from the window sill.

Eventually, the baker finally looked down by the creek.
    The raccoons were scooping out the pie and washing it until it disolved. Then, puzzeled, they would just take another scoop and repeat.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Was back in the 70's and it was one machine which looked just like the new front loading washers and dryers. You set the dials and it washed the load and then dried it.

BTW, those new separate machines can be stacked in small places. Or, you can spend another $400 for drawers to fit under them. Such a deal!

Love, Mikie
  17. sisland

sisland New Member

You have gotten some very good advice here! including having the racoons do your washing!,,,,lolol!,,,

I have to jump on the wagon for the Kenmore,Brand,,,,From sears have had a set of them for 15 years no problems yet!,,,,,,,,,,

Years ago My Mom had an old time ringer washer and then the clothes line for drying,,,,miss thoes days!
  18. victoria

victoria New Member

even if you're out in the country and allowed to hang clothing... you have to watch out for dogs. I tried it one time, and my dogs had SUCH fun... never again!

19. LadyC

LadyC New Member

I recently purchased a Kenmore front load High Efficiency washer and dryer. So far I really love both.
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sears no longer makes its own Kenmore brands but has other manufacturers make them and they put the Kenmore brand on them. I have a Kenmore side-by-side fridge but it's really a Frigidaire.

The crappy rusting washing machine I now own is a Kenmore and it wasn't the cheapest one they sell. I think it was made by Whirlpool, a respected appliance manufacturer.

Think what I'm gonna do until I can buy a nice pair of front loaders (if I ever do) is to go buy that stuff you paint on rust which turns to a primer and I'll just paint over the old rust. It'll work for a while. Wherever there is a metal edge, there is no enamel on it so it's inevitible that it would eventually rust. I expected better than this. I think the new machines are better made.

Love, Mikie