Need to gain weight----I am always eating, and never gain--help--

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Larac., Nov 30, 2008.

1. Larac.

Larac. New Member

I am tired of wearing clothes that are 00 in size----I am always hunger and eating things such as chips, breads, candy, chicken,pasta---I do not know why i can not mange to weigh more than 90lbs at the age of 38---I was 114 when i was pregnant with my daughter, who is now 18---after giving birth--I weighed 96lbs and my new baby was 7-9----what am i missing...
  2. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

Have you been seen by an endocrinologist? An overactive thyroid is just one thing that could cause this. If you haven't discussed this with your family doc, I would start there. There are lots of health issues that could contribute to this.
  3. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

can cause it as well. When I had undiagnosed and untreated AI I looked like I belonged in a conservation camp I swear, not matter what I ate I could not gain. I was buying my shirts in the boy's dept as even a small in a womens would swallow me. After treatment with cortisone I slowly started putting weight back on.

Deb
  4. leannebug

leannebug New Member

I had a similar problem. I ate everything I could think of, including big bowls of ice cream, twice a day. It wasn't until I was put on prednisone (for my RA), that the weight came back on. I believe, but don't quote me on it, that FM can go either way... people can get real skinny, or battle the bulge.
  5. Larac.

Larac. New Member

I have had my thyroid tested and it was a 7--it should be a 8, put doctor said it was fine---

I always have a hard time gaining, I was told by rheumo--that I have over active metabolism---
    I have fibro for 4 years, and I take effexor 150---and in last 2 months I have tried Ritilan La 30mg which is a stimulant to keep me awak during the day, but the Insurance I have said I need to ritilian sr or adderall xr---so in october I started with the adderal xr 30mg--it is a stimulant and it has helped---but in nov's visit I am trying ritilan sr---then if that does not work, the insurance plan said, since I tried the 2 on their formulary, I should be able to get the longer acting ritilan back, so by than it will Jan. 2009.

Thank you for you reply, if anything comes to you, please let me know--what do you suffer from? Larac. P.S. I have no eating disorders anorexia) ---I have been this way, and I had a healthy baby girl who weighed 7-9---and the day I went home with her I was 96lbs..
  6. Larac.

Larac. New Member

I have had my thyroid tested and it was a 7--it should be a 8, put doctor said it was fine---

I always have a hard time gaining, I was told by rheumo--that I have over active metabolism---
    I have fibro for 4 years, and I take effexor 150---and in last 2 months I have tried Ritilan La 30mg which is a stimulant to keep me awak during the day, but the Insurance I have said I need to ritilian sr or adderall xr---so in october I started with the adderal xr 30mg--it is a stimulant and it has helped---but in nov's visit I am trying ritilan sr---then if that does not work, the insurance plan said, since I tried the 2 on their formulary, I should be able to get the longer acting ritilan back, so by than it will Jan. 2009.

Thank you for you reply, if anything comes to you, please let me know--what do you suffer from? Larac. P.S. I have no eating disorders anorexia) ---I have been this way, and I had a healthy baby girl who weighed 7-9---and the day I went home with her I was 96lbs..
  7. Larac.

Larac. New Member

I will look into adrenal insufficiency---Thank you for taking time to read my topic---

I also have fibro---I have had it since 2006---but I can not blame my unable to gain weight on that,,,I was like this even before the fibo--My blood pressure is low---to were my rheumo, wants me to eat salt tabs (uch)--If you any further advice I would be very interested...Thanks again deb--Have a nice day. Larac.
  8. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

and fibro have that problem.. i've also lost a lot of weight and really had trouble putting it back on, its nice for a while until everyone keeps asking if you actually eat or not. i'm not sure what causes this but i don't think its anything to be worried about.. try eating more protein, i've actually managed to put a little bit more weight on in the past 2 weeks (thanksgiving helped a little), but my doctor told me in order to get healthier and look healthier i need to increase my protein intake dramatically. so i constantly have protein shakes, or chicken or some kind of meat during lunch or dinner, and i feel like i look a little bit healthier now, i also feel a little bit better
  9. Larac.

Larac. New Member

..I have had thyroid checked and it is fine...I have always been skinny, I weighed 114lbs when I had my now 18yr old daughter...she was 7-9,, when I left hospital I was 96lbs and had a hard time getting a dress for my brothers wedding...but enough is enough-I had my gall bladder out in october and I am always eatting.I think it may be related to a website I read on adrenal dysfunction.... I will look into what u suggested, thank you Larac....
  10. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Larac,

I don't know if this will help or not, but my mom who is 54 is 5'7" and weighed 100 until about 6 months ago. The doctor put her on prescription vitamins. She weighs 118 now. (Of course, now she thinks she weighs too much.) :) She had tried everything including protien/weight gain shakes before that.

Also, have you checked your blood sugar? I'm T1 Diabetic and I know when my blood sugar is up, I can't keep my weight up. Just a thought.

Good luck!

Wendysj
  11. Larac.

Larac. New Member

I had bood work done and they said there were no problems, I will ask them to do another blood test...I have seen a neurologist and he gave me so much meds--I took 1 lyrica and was hysterical crying, heart racing etc--I ws disappointed it did not work for...