Need to Vent about Insurance Companies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IngyW68, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. IngyW68

    IngyW68 New Member

    Hi there,

    It has been awhile since I have posted but have been popping in now and then to read some. I just found out that I have 2 weeks left to file an appeal to my old insurance company for a hospital dispute from October of 2001 when I had a double cervical discectomy. The insurance company says that they think that I should have gone home after one night in the hospital and that my Dr. shouldn't have kept me two days. Gee, I only had MAJOR surgery with the head of ortopaedic surgery and the head neurosurgeon at Georgetown Univ. Hospital. It only took 4 long hours and have the bone removed from my hip to put into my neck WITHOUT and metal plates to secure this on the inside. I could have been paralyzed or died and now I still live with constant pain in my neck and hip.

    But, I am sure that the little person sitting at their desk in Minnesota is more capable of making the decision that I was perfectly fine to go home the next morning. It's as if they think I made the decision on a morphine drip to stay in the wonderful bed and breakfast for another day to have all the interns wake me up hour upon hour to make sure I could move my arms and legs:) The bill is for $18,000! THere is no way I am going to pay one cent extra of the % I already paid for my co-pay for that surgery which was a total of $40,000. How can they over-ride a Dr. decision??? Has this happened to anyone else??

    Sorry to ramble on but I needed to get this out and I am having a high pain and fatigue day with a cold coming on. Poor me:(. Ok, I'm done. I feel much better now. Thanks for listening.:)

    Hugs to all,

  2. chelle74

    chelle74 New Member

    Well, this is a completely different situation, but I have had insurance company problems before, if it's any consolation.

    My son was born via emergency c-section because my placenta abrupted (prematurely tore away from the uterine wall) and he went into fetal distress. After the surgery, the hospital told my family that they had approximately 6 minutes to deliver him or he would have bled out and died. When we were released from the hospital a few days later, my insurance company sent me a letter stating they would not cover the c-section because neither I, nor the hospital, called to pre-certify.

    It took me about 6 months of complaining and letter-writing to get it resolved. Insurance companies are nothing but a bunch of blood-sucking @*@#@&*@#$^%! (insert your favorite explitive).
  3. kerrymygirl

    kerrymygirl New Member

    Our health is constantly compromised due to the almighty$$$$. There is a bill now fighting drive threw mastectomy`s. My mom was in a week and still physically and mentally was not prepared to be at home and all that woman face at home too soon. That is why so many people do not get proper recovery or end up with complications costing evev more sometimes, including your health. I need alot of treatment for my lyme,ins. will not cover too expensive.

    Rhode Island is 1st state to force ins. to give treatment for lyme. They finally realized it was costing more with all the disabily cases and relapses, plus all the damage to ones body, unless treated.

    So sorry stick to your guns girl. MORE of us need to.

    Take care, hope for a good recovery.... hugggssss
  4. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    And do it right away. I know it's a pain, but you need to do this to protect yourself. Your doc should have aleady taken care of this for you, but obviously he didn't.

    There will most likely be no problem if you take care of your part.

    Love, Mikie