Need to Vent

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, May 22, 2009.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

My FM symptoms have started to flair due to a situation I am having with my landlord. I rented an apt from him for 2 years without a problem. I moved into a house where all of the problems started. He promised new paint and carpet, but decided at the last minute it was a big NO - they are both 37 years old and dirty. I have figured out that we have a CENTIPEDE infestation and, lo and behold, it is MY responsibility - says so in the lease (of note that I have already signed).

I can't afford to eat sometimes let alone move. I can't live like this knowing there are centipedes all over my house. I kill one everyday.

I live in PA.
  2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Isn't there a landlord / tenant court in your area?
    I thought every town / city had one.

I know, sometimes a judge or arbitrator will say: You signed the lease, so tough luck. BUT, that doesn't always hold true, if the landlord intentionally misrepresented the condition of the house/apartment, to get you to sign.

You do have rights as a tenant. Courts don't allow landlords to be slumlords!

Good luck 2 ya!!!!!
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

I have never heard of a landlord putting in a lease u are resposible for bugs!! He knew there was an ongoing problem and stuck u with bill.

I would call the board of health also county services,housing atuhority.

hes a jerk and just wanted to get u in there because he knows your a good tenant.
    tell them u signed under diress(ie illness brainfog)maybe u can move if he wont do the right thing
    good luck
    [This Message was Edited on 05/23/2009]
  4. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

What's worse is he told me before I moved in that I would have carpeting (it is 37 years old) within a year. I told him I wanted that put in the lease. Conveniently for him, the lease wasn't ready until the day I moved at which point he decided to put "no rug until cat is eliminated". Hm..............he didn't say that BEFORE.
  5. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

It's such a major hassle, but you DO have rights, here!
    A landlord isn't allowed to misrepresent what he's renting out.

The last thing you need is more stress & hassle, but if he gets away with this, he'll keep doing it to other peeps, too...

6. 3gs

3gs New Member

Oh my gosh I hate to think whats in that carpet after 37yrs and being a rental!
    Have you tried talking to him? Tell him you have health issuses and he misrepresented what he would do. Did he ask for a pet deposit?

Did he add things after you signed? Tell him unless he is fair and keeps his word you will contact the disabilty advocates.