Need to vent

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Sep 20, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

When I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with FM the rhuemy put me on ultracet. It didn't work. He said give it time. It didn't work. I called today and his nurse says I need to come in on Monday so he can "re-evaluate" me. What the heck does that mean. All I want is a break from the pain, and now would be nice but instead I get to be miserable all weekend and wonder what he meant be "re-evaluate me" In the mean time I had to see a endochronologist because I've been lactating. He wants me to have an MRI done to see if I have a tumor. I need a refferal # from the Dr's office. 2 phone calls and still no #. The women on the phone actually got snotty with me. I have 3 kids. When I get this MRI done I will have to have someone help me by babysitting, getting my daughter on and off the school bus, and taking my son to and from Pre-school. This takes a while to coordinate. Who do these people thimk they are making someone who is suffering sit and wait. My nerves are raw and my body hurts. Thanks..Just had to vent
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

When I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with FM the rhuemy put me on ultracet. It didn't work. He said give it time. It didn't work. I called today and his nurse says I need to come in on Monday so he can "re-evaluate" me. What the heck does that mean. All I want is a break from the pain, and now would be nice but instead I get to be miserable all weekend and wonder what he meant be "re-evaluate me" In the mean time I had to see a endochronologist because I've been lactating. He wants me to have an MRI done to see if I have a tumor. I need a refferal # from the Dr's office. 2 phone calls and still no #. The women on the phone actually got snotty with me. I have 3 kids. When I get this MRI done I will have to have someone help me by babysitting, getting my daughter on and off the school bus, and taking my son to and from Pre-school. This takes a while to coordinate. Who do these people thimk they are making someone who is suffering sit and wait. My nerves are raw and my body hurts. Thanks..Just had to vent
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hi Mariac--
    Venting Helps...and this is a good place to do it---as we all know how it feels to be in your boat.
    I was dealing with a bunch of uncompassionate Docs for so long, and they frustrated me in the same way. They made me feel as if I was inconvienancing them, or I was exaggerating my claims of discomfort. Then the topper is--making one wait for relief!
    The office personel I ran into were of the same calloused lot. In the past five months I have had two ultrasounds, six cat scans, and two MRI's, and I have lost count of the x-rays. Invariably I was treated like a nuisance, albeit a paying nuisance through out the course.
    Finally, I happened across a marvelous Dr. on the "Good Dr. List", here. Not only is the Dr. wonderful, but his office staff is exemplary! To give you an example---I phoned yesterday concerning the very subject you were talking about. He had put me on Ultram---( I had been taking Vicodan previous to finding him). Well the Ultram was giving me horrendous headaches after only one days use. The nurse consulted with him during our conversation...and it was decided to lower the dosage. She said, (can you believe this?) "Call back before 4pm., this afternoon, if you get a headache, because we are taking a long weekend, and don't want you to be in pain, if this doesnt work". I almost fell on the floor!
    Yep---the headache came...and I phoned....and here is the real earth shaker---the DOCTOR got on the phone...to discuss it with me! I didnt think docs...could use phones...lol....He said they would quickly call in Vicodan, to the local pharmacy, before they closed....and I was given a schedule, to gradually increase the ultram from 1/4 of a tablet to 1 full tab....while decreasing the vicoden....as he would prefer me to adjust to the ultram, and discontinue the Vicoden. This was amazing to me....to have someone actually care about my comfort!!!
    Well all that rambling is to say---if you are not happy with the care....continue looking for a Doc and staff--who do care! They are out there....and although one can get frustrated and disheartened....keep up the good fight to find an advocate who is compassionate!
    Karen
  4. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

You go ahead and vent your heart out here!!!! We all have to do it from time to time and I even catch myself abusing my keyboard because it won't go as fast as I want it to!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is when I am really upset!
    Doctors love to use the term "re-evaluate". I know that when my doc says that he means he needs to re-think what kind of meds he needs to prescribe for me or in other words he needs to "re-evaluate" my pain level.
    I also have had some docs use this term instead of saying or admitting they made a stupid mistake! haha
    Hope this helps!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2002]
  5. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I didnt think there was any good docs around still. I made a descision with help from my friends on this board to go to the rhuemy doc who DX me and he was really kind and actually took time to explain alot of things. I have to travel 2 1/2 hrs to Columbus, OH but it'll be worth it to find a good doctor. I called about the fm doc in Canton, OH Pellegrino and he sounds like a good doc too, I went ahead and made an appt to see him but I have to come up with 200.00 for first visit which if I dont have it, I will cancel but my appt is Oct 31 with him. If all my other docs get off their you know what and get my short term disablilty papers turned in then maybe I can get a paycheck. It is frustrating but this board has helped me so much and alot of hot baths.
  6. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Mariac,
    I am glad you vented! I have found this is the best (and only for many of us ) plalce to say what we feel and not get judged :)
    I am sorry about your doctor! I do think many of them are in the profession for prestige and ot the money?? Not all but some for sure and it sounds like you got one of them :(
    I understand how hard it is to juggle everything , please the only thing I can say is you are not alone :)
    This doesnt help, but I wish it did.
    ((((((((((((((Hugs to you)))))))))))
    Denise
  7. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Small world..My maiden name is Pellegrino, no relation to the Dr though. I live in New Jersey so Ohio may be a bit to far. Ha ha. I'll see what he says on Monday, but I already have reservations because his nurse told me there was no difference between FM and MPS. I have no idea how to even start looking for another doc.
    Thanks so much
  8. ladydi

ladydi New Member

HI, MARIAC IS THAT WHAT YOU GO BY?

YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE TO VENT. YOU ARE SURE
    TO FIND OUT SO MUCH INFO HERE.

I'D BE GLAD TO TELL YOU WHAT HAS HELPED ME, BUT, WOULD
    RATHER GIVE YOU THE ENCOURAGEMENT YOU NEED AT THIS TIME.

THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO VENT WITHOUT PUTTING IT ON YOUR
    FAMILY.

BEST WISHES TO YOU.
    LADYDI

9. beh43

beh43 New Member

Hi mariac2000,

Re-evaluate is code for: I wonder how many times I can drag this person in and give them more meds that don't work to aquire more money for me before they decide to tell me to stuff it.

If the doctor is giving you this much grief already you may want to have a serious talk with him and ask him about his goals. If many visits and more money are his goal it will soon be clear from the attitude you get because you questioned him. Another clue is if he starts giving you the same meds over and over and expecting different results.
    Remember he is working for you!

beh
  10. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

You should check the list of 'good docs' they have here. You click on your state & then there's names for you to choose from. It's worth a try.

Any doc worth their salt shouldn't have to already, 're-evaluate'. They think that we're stupid. Jeez...I've been there though & you have to play their stupid game & fill up their schedules so they look busy. So, dance to his tune for the next few days. In the meantime, check out the 'good docs' list and make arrangements to see someone who cares.

I loved the comment from someone saying: "I didn't even know they (docs, could use the phone". ROTFLMAO!!!! Too funny!

Hope your weekend goes ok. ((((gentle hugs)))) dolsgirl