Need traveling advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by UnicornK, Jun 13, 2006.

1. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Next Sunday hubby and I will be driving (in a loaded van) to Daytona Beach from Maryland. I know to stop and walk/stretch from time to time. But I could use other advice. What kind of pillow is best to sit/lean on while riding? Should I recline my seat? What about a neck pillow? etc. etc.

Thanks in advance for all your help. I want this trip to be good, especially for hubby. He has looked forward to this trip for almost a year now. And he worries about me so much.

God Bless.
  2. baanders

baanders New Member

Could you make an appt. with Dr. Rosen on Bellona Avenue? He is a Pain Mngt. Dr. and will prescribe narcotics. If it is too short notice, see Dr. Joseph Adams at GBMC hospital. You can get in soon. He is an internist. You need to raise your seat if it is deep with a firm pillow. Then you need to buy a larger firm pillow for your back. On top of it, buy a lower back support or make one from a large blanket or towel. Experiment. Use Thermacore heating pads purchace them at Target or Wallmart (extra large) for those very painful areas. Buy as many as you can. Eeach lasts for 6-12 hours and works best if you have a blanket over you. Recline if you're tired and need nap. You can stretch out your thighs at this time. Buy a cervical neck pillow that hugs the neck from Linens and Things or on-line. When you recline, you also need to support your lower back and rear end so put the large pillow to support your feet on the floor. Sleep well the night before. Bring Ben Gay and have your hubby rub it over the painful areas if things get bad.

Baanders...Rebecca :)
  3. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I have all the pillows, etc. And I use lidoderm, so maybe I'll take that. And I have 024.

I'm already on a low-dose narcotic and a muscle relaxer, plus I'm on Lyrica. Hopefully those will help. I don't really want to start taking a stronger narcotic yet. I spent 6 weeks in Johns Hopkins getting off of strong narcotics.

I know I'll eventually be going back on stronger narcotics, but I'd like to put it off as long as possible.

Thanks for you advice. I will incorporate it into my travel plans. It is good advice!

God Bless.
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I have absolutely no advice at all but bless you for going.

Marta
  5. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Don't forget to drink plenty of water - when traveling it's easy to get dehydrated! Since you'll be stopping to stretch and walk, you can make a bathroom stop at the same time.

Also, try to eat healthy while on the road or pack a small ice chest with healthy stuff. I know that when I'm on a road trip (and I make a LOT of them!) it's easy to get into the "I'll just grab something" mode.

Drive safely and have a wonderful time!

- julie (is free!)

Take your cat and leave my sweater
    we have nothing left to weather
    In fact, I'll feel a whole lot better
    but you'll think of me..

- Keith Urban
  6. sues1

sues1 New Member

I like the ice chest hint that was given. I, even before CFIDS/FIBRO felt better and had more energy while traveling if I would snack on healthy things. Fruit and raw veggies helps.

Salty things usually makes you thirsty and more rest room stops.

If stop for a meal...get your salad to go, dressing on the side and stick that in your ice chest. Make sure you have eating utensils....lol. Take part of meal, chicken leg or such with you. This gets you through tired/rough spots.

You can change around your pillows for comfort and ease. Lay down with lots of pillows if you can. I love to also have a small blanket, throw size. Sometimes fit it inside my neck and face while sitting or laying down, etc. Where ever you seem to need it.

I hope you have a terrific time...........Susan
  7. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

a tennis ball in a sock. I use the tennis ball to work on my knots (I have a lot of myofascial pain) and by putting it in the sock, it just makes it easier to hang on to and gives me more control if I'm trying to reach a certain spot on my back.

I've also started to notice that I've tended to always sit to one side while I'm riding in a vehicle. I've been trying to make a conscious effort to sit straight in my seat (meaning equal weight on both hips) on the last couple of trips and that has actually helped me out some also.

I can't recline my seat, because I get car sick if I can't see where I'm going. I usually take several pillows of different sizes, and have rolled towels up for lumbar support. I tend to move around a lot. I can't get comfortable for very long when I'm riding.

I also take a small throw blanket because hubby likes it cool in the vehicle, and I can't handle getting cold. Makes the pain a lot worse for me.

I hope you really get to enjoy the trip. The last one that I went on was awesome. I don't know if it was just being away from home and stress, or the change in climate and even sleeping in a different bed, but I did so much better on the trip than I've done in a really long time. I hope you have that kind of luck as well and don't forget to take lots of stretching breaks. Have a safe trip and good luck!!
  8. baanders

baanders New Member

Try to sit and put your feet on the dashboard to stretch out the lower back. The reason I mentioned thermacare is because it's so hot that the knots relax after 1/2 hour. The ben gay makes muscles relax due to the active ingredients. Professional boxers use similar active ingredients for muscle spasms. I used it last night when I had severe lower back pain due to a long drive to church. Oh ya, and one mistake I made was that I used this computer the same day and the day before (producing back aches). Don't overdue a couple of days before the trip. And when you sit, shift your buttocks (weight) around frequently so that you are turning your back to either side and stretching it...don't stay immobile in one position.

God bless you. baanders
    [This Message was Edited on 06/14/2006]
  9. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

These are awesome suggestions! Some of them make so much sense that I'm surprized I didn't thenk of them myself! LOL (fibrofog, etc!)

I really do appreciate you all taking the trouble to answer my question.

God Bless.