Need Washinton,D.C./N. Virginia Area FMS MD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luv2nap, Nov 21, 2002.

1. luv2nap

luv2nap New Member

I am relocating to the Washington, D.C. area due to a job transfer in January. I had been going to Dr. Robert Bennett's clinic at OHSU. They can't recommend anyone. Can anyone recommend a physician in the D.C. area who will take new patients? I am low maintenance. I just need meds to keep me from becoming bedridden again.
  2. luv2nap

luv2nap New Member

I am relocating to the Washington, D.C. area due to a job transfer in January. I had been going to Dr. Robert Bennett's clinic at OHSU. They can't recommend anyone. Can anyone recommend a physician in the D.C. area who will take new patients? I am low maintenance. I just need meds to keep me from becoming bedridden again.
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

Traffic around here can be a nightmare. I've lived in the area for 25 years so I know lots of alternate routes, which helps a lot. I would recommend that you choose a doc who is near where you live or work.

I live in the Reston/Herndon area of Fairfax COunty. I have a doc there also. I'm not sure about his taking new patients at this point. Someone at a support group meeting last weekend mentioned they thought he wasn't.

Have you checked the Co-Cure good doc's list? There are several listed there. There used to be a direct link from her to the site, but when I checked this afternoon it was gone and now there is a rather useless page on choosing a doctor in its place.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Barbara
  4. lilladybug

lilladybug New Member

I myself personally have seen several of these docs....
    I would interview them to see if they *fit* YOU!
    I have CFIDS so do not know any good FMS docs...
    Hopefully this can help?

Lilladybug!

Virginia
    Aldie, VA
    Norman Levin, M.D.
    39070 John Mosly Hwy.
    Aldie, VA 22001
    Tel: (703) 260-3484
    (Internal Medicine, Rheumatology, Nutritional Medicine)

Centerville, VA
    The Dulles Pain Management Center
    Dr. Joseph Statkus & Dr. Stephen Whittman
    13890 Braddock Road
    Centerville, VA 20121
    Tel: 703-449-8720
    (These doctors not only treat FMS/CFS but they treat all types of chronic pain.)

Falls Church, VA
    Celeste P. Campbell, Psy.D.
    7202 Arlington Blvd.
    Falls Church, VA 22042-1859
    Tel: (703) 207-0347
    (I was referred to this Neuropsychologist for the battery of 12 tests needed for CFIDS. I found her to be warm, friendly and knowledgable. Her report was concise and to the point and was what I needed to help with my SSDI.)

Portsmouth , VA
    Stephen E. Plotnick, M.D.
    Board Certified Rheumatologist
    500 Rodman Ave. Suite 1
    Portsmouth, VA 23707
    Tel: (757) 393-3430
    (FMS. "He is very knowledgable about FMS.")

Reston, VA
    Dr. Samuel Shor
    1760 Reston Parkway
    Reston, VA 20190
    Tel: 703-709-1119
    ("I can't say enough good things about him. Dr. Shor is an internist who specializes in the treatment of CFIDS and FM. He is knowledgeable, thorough, and very easy to work with.")

Maryland

Annapolis, MD
    Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D.
    2525 Riva Road #120
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    Tel: (410) 573-5389
    (Wrote the book "From Fatigue to Fantastic"; had CFS; personable; takes a holistic approach mixing vitamins & drugs. Expensive.)

Baltimore, MD
    Peter Rowe
    Johns Hopkins Hospital
    Baltimore, MD
    Tel: (unknown)
    (A pediatrician. Widely known as an expert in Neurally Mediated Hypotension and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in children and adolescents.)

Berlin, MD
    William T Greer, III, M.D.
    Atlantic General Hlth Systems
    124 N Main St # A
    Berlin, MD
    Tel: (410) 641-2600
    ("I've found Dr. Greer to be open, understanding, enthusiastic, smart, kind, and not above asking for assistance when he's stumped for answers.")

Bethesda, MD
    Robert Gerwin, M.D. and Medical Director (Neurologist)
    Pain & Rehabilitation Medicine
    Headache, Pain Medicine and Neurology
    7830 Old Georgetown Rd, #C16
    Bethesda, MD 20814
    Tel: 301-656-0220
    (Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology and Assistant Professor of Neurology at Johns Hopkins University; he has a physical therapist, physiatrist, dental surgeon, acupunturist, social worker and psychologist on staff.

He is considered to be one of the world's foremost experts in the medical diagnosis and treatment of myofascial pain and chronic pain. His mentor is Dr. Janet Travell (she was JFK's personal physician); he teaches workshops throughout the country and abroad as part of the Janet G. Travell, MD Seminar Series.

He is also on the FMS Network list.)

Emmitsburg, MD
    Grace Ziem, MD, Dr. PH
    16926 Eyler's Valley Road
    Emmitsburg, MD 21717
    Tel: (301) 241-4346
    (Occupational & Environmental Health Physician who diagnosed that my CFIDS/FMS was causally linked to my occupational exposures to the chemicals comprising carbonless copy paper (CCP) business forms, a mainstay office product which has been linked to severe health effects (the Swedish Trade Union has requested a ban on CCP) and is currently being seriously investigated by the Dept. of Health & Human Services, National Institute of Occupational Safety & Health [Federal Register: February 21, 1997 (Volume 62, Number 35)] [Notices] [Page 8023] or online at
    http:// www.cdc.gov/niosh/ccpaper.html

Lutherville, MD
    Dr. Jon Weingart, Neurosurgeon
    Johns Hopkins at Green Spring Station
    Hopkins Pavilion I
    10755 Falls Road
    Lutherville, MD 21093
    Tel: (410) 614-3052
    (Has performed about 75 surgeries on children for Arnold Chiari Malformation; has been doing adult surgeries since 5-99. Some people who were diagnosed with CFS and/or FMS actually had this disorder which shows up on an MRI.)

Kenneth B. Singleton, MD, MPH
    Greenspring Wellness Center
    2324 W. Joppa Road, Suite 100
    Lutherville, MD 21093
    Tel: (410) 296-3737
    ("As it turns out, he has FMS, so he knows first-hand what it's all about. He is board certified in internal medicine, and takes the approach that FMS is primarily metabolic.")

Towson, MD
    Janet K. Anderson, Ph.D
    Maryland State Licensed Psychologist
    1212 Brookview Road
    Towson, MD 21286-1600
    Ph/Fax: (410) 337-9666 (Hours by appointment; she knows which neuro-cognitive tests need to be done for CFS patients for SSDI; is listed with local CFS support group; she is available for counseling also; she is compassionate)

Gwynn Chippendale, M.Ac., L.Ac.
    Licensed Acupuncturist/Traditional Acupuncture
    Ruxton Towers, Suite 211
    8415 Bellona Lane
    Towson, MD 21204
    Tel: (443) 324-8020
    (Handicapped accessible. Very respectful and professional.)

Westminster, MD
    Dr. Michael Kaplan (Physiatrist)
    680 Poole Rd.
    Westminster, MD 21157
    Tel: (410) 840-9297
    (I originaly went to him for pain management because my PCP threw his hands up and said he couldn't figure me out so try this guy, he's aggressive for pain. Not only did he figure out what was wrong with me, he found a couple of other complaints my PCP didn't figure out like restless leg and carpal tunnel. He has given me my life back.

Washington DC
    Dr. Samuel J. Potolicchio
    2150 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, 7th Floor
    Washington, DC 20037
    Tel: (202) 994-4063
    ("He's an excellent doctor for fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue.")
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

Of the ones who are in the area, Stakus was in the news a few months ago and I believe had to close his clinic. There is a pain clinic in Herndon, with a man named Mayo Friedlis who a friend of mine goes to and likes.

I see Dr. Shor and the comments above are mine. I'm not sure if he's taking new patients, but is worth a try.

The only one listed in MD who is in the area is the Dr. in Bethesda.

Hope this helps.

Barbara
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

For Luv2nap............

Shalom, Shirl

[ advertisement ]