Need Website where you can find accurate information

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Plantscaper, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

on the potential harmful reactions between prescription drugs and herbal/vitamin preparations?

I found a website where patients can report, but really need one from pharmacists/physician who know about, for instance, a herbal/prescription interactions..

My Mom, who is the most important person to me, needs to know if Olive Leaf Extract would be safe for her to use with many drug she is on: Coumadin, Imuran, Prednisone, Embrel, Timolol, Fosamax, etc.

She, probably, has the Mycoplasma as a trigger for her Rhuematoid Arthritis/Vasculitis/Peripheral Neuropathies and Diabetes..

If anyone knows where I can get reputable info, please let me know...

HAPPY EASTER,
    ~~Amelia~~
  2. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I would think it would be your Pharmaphist (sp?), let them know all the meds she takes, and what Supplements she now takes and is wanting to take.

I find my Pharmacy so helpful when I have questions, the only Supp. I take is Milkthistle, and I was nervous about taking that. So I asked my Pharmacist, and he asured me it'd be ok.

Good luck to you,

and Happy Easter

kredca4/sharon

Ps. you might get an answer from sue, she's the Queen of supplements and herbs, lol, she does know a lot about it, hopefully she will see this.
  3. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Oleuropein/Olive Leaf

Safety Evaluation/Contraindications
    This product should be avoided in pregnancy and lactation. Use with caution if you are allergic to Olive tree pollen as it may cause a seasonal respiratory allergic reaction. This herb may cause mild gastrointestinal irritation, particularly if taken on an empty stomach.*

Known Drug Interactions
    Olive leaf may potentiate the effects of blood pressure lowering medications and theoretically may interact with antidiabetic medications due to its potential to affect glucose levels. Further, this herb may interact with drugs that inhibit blood clotting and platelet aggregation, including but not limited to warfarin (Coumadin®), heparin, clopidogrel (Plavix®), pentoxifylline (Trental®), and aspirin, due to its potential effects in encouraging healthy blood formation and blood flow. Before using this formula, talk with your healthcare professional if you take any medications.* Source: Centerfornaturalhealing

It took me forever to find this---not enough research and literature about herb & supplements/prescription drugs.
    Hope this helps,
    LL
  4. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I had checked with some pharmacists, but most did not know much about Olive Leaf Extract..

Thanks so much for all the responses, and particularly, Laying Low for finding this specific info...Wouldn't the culprit would be the Coumadin..it seeems to interfere with everything...Does this site where you found this, also, have a lot of info on other herbal/vit/prescription drug interactions..

Since, this is my first computer,which I have only been on for a few months, I don't know how to run down all this research..Thanks to all of you again..Really helped me out..Thanks, again, Layinglow, you are a computer warrior!!

HAPPY EASTER,
    It's snowing here..(how bizarre is that?)
    LOVE YOU GUYS,
    ~~Amelia~~
  5. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Anything you want to research on the web is fairly easy. Go to a major portal---like Yahoo or Google. The have a search box at the top of their homepages. Type in what you are interested in and hit search button. You will have lots of "hits" to go through. Using more specific wording can reduce the number of websites to look through for the info you are looking for.
    I typed in "olive leaf interactions", and also "oleuropein reaction prescription medicines" if I remember, right. Foggy...lol. In the first search I discovered oleuropein was the active ingredient.

Snowing? My Gosh, we are off to the lake for the rest of the weekend-- as it's sunny and 80 degrees here.

Happy Easter--and glad I could be of some help.
    LL
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

There is a pretty good book out on Herbs, Meds,Vitamins interactions, its;

'The Natural Pharmacist (Drug-Herb-Vitamin Interactions Bible' by; 'Richard Harkness, Pharm.,FASCP & 'Steven Bratman, MD'. They also have a website.

Shalom, Shirl
  7. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Looks like the info gathered, elsewhere, that my mom will not be able to get on the OLE, due to the Coumadin, which they seem to think is, absolutely, necessary..She had blood clots forming in her legs, due to being bedridden (can't walk due to severe nerve damage in legs). One problem seems to cause another and so on..

Feeling kind of "brain-drained", myself, and wondering how to build up her immune system and fight possible pathogens..Lives too far from ABX docs...She's been on immuno-suppressant, which is my main worry...But, I guess, when feeling better, I will look for other solutions..

~~Amelia~~