Need your advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by smilee, Sep 24, 2009.

  1. smilee

    smilee New Member

    Hi all - I haven't posted in awhile . . . but who do I turn to when I need help??? You guys of course. I have been diagnosed with Fibro for a long time - have that wonderful classification of being "highly functional". For the last three months I have been going down hill - fast. Have missed a bunch of work in that length of time. For the last three weeks I have had excruciating pain in my left hip that radiates down my left leg. I thought it was a trigger point - so I was doing all kinds of body work trying to release it - but nothing worked. The Dr. prescribed some pain pills - which didn't touch it - then three days later - he started me on prednisone - YUCK - and that alleviated it some - I went back to work after being off for two and a half days - and the pain is back to the point I want to scream. My boss strongly encouraged me not to come to work tomorrow - and in fact - not to come back until I'm 100% better. Can't stay out of work without a Dr's note. There are other issues of course - Can't hear out of left ear - have a rash over the upper half of my body - and both of my hands are numb - and am becoming dumber than a door knob all of a sudden - I mean seriously - I have no brain. I'm a walking train wreck. Plus I'm really discouraged. How do I tell my Dr. that I need him to step up to the plate and take me out of work so that I can get some answers? I think that the Fibro is getting worse? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. AuntTammie

    AuntTammie New Member

    I am sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time. I am not really sure what to suggest, though, except to tell your dr exactly what your symptoms are and how they are affecting you, esp related to work.

    When you say that you want him to step up to the plate and take you out of work, do you mean temporarily (as in give you a note so that you can take a little time off), or do you mean longer term (like a leave of absence) or more permanently (like going on disability)? I am guessing that you mean temporarily, given that you have been functioning fairly well until recently. In that, what do hope to achieve? Do you mean time to rest and visit specialists, have tests run, etc?

    I am sorry if these sound like dumb questions, but I think that if you clarify exactly what you need from your dr and explain the stuff I already mentioned (symptoms and impact), then he should be able to help you or refer you to someone else who could do so. And if he can't/won't, it may be time to find a new dr.
  3. PVLady

    PVLady New Member

    You need to get you hip x-ray'ed or even a MRI to see what is going on. Perhaps see a doctor who treats back problems. Don't ever assume a new symptom is fibromyalgia. My husband had excrutiating pain in his back one month after back surgery.

    The doctor who did the surgery just brushed it off and told him to take Vicoden. I took him to the Kerlan Jobe Clinic in Culver City, CA. He saw Dr. Dillon who immediately did a mylogram and discovered he has a synovial cyst on his spine. (This is common after surgery).

    The treatment was a injection of cortisone in the cyst. This was done by a doctor under sedation. Anyway, that cured the problem. Bottom line, if we had listened to the original doctor, my husband would be sitting home taking Vicoden and never would have been better.

    Keep seeing doctors until you get find out the cause.
  4. JLH

    JLH New Member

    This portion sounds as if your sciatic nerve is pinched. Mine is pinched between L4 - L5 & S1. The pain is excruciating and runs down my leg. It also makes my big toe numb. A doctor can normally tell where your nerve is pinched at due to which toe(s) are numb--that is, if that's your problem.
  5. loto

    loto Member

    I've been having the same problems, except no rash.
    I have to take my pain pills or I cannot function.
    The thing that helped me with the left hip pain---i kept an ice pack on it for a few hours without getting up. Have you thought about going to chiro for that also??? In my case, my hip gets all "jacked up" and out of alignment.

    What did your doctor say about the not being able to hear? I've never heard of that.

[ advertisement ]