Need your advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cpalance, Sep 4, 2002.

1. cpalance

cpalance New Member

First off I am not looking for sympathy, just need to know what you guys would think if a doctor told you this:The best you can hope for is that the arthritis in your neck will fuse itself and then the doctors will have to do something to stablize your spine! I went to Dr. Manning in Connecticut for FMS while on vacation. The first visit he told me I needed surgery, etc. before my FMS would get better. I had already had 4 surgeons tell me that surgery is out, that there is nothing left (disc's)to operate on. One told me the slightest jolt could cause me to be paralized. I went back to Dr. Manning a second time and after he had read all my medical records, he made the above statement. Also told me I will be on medication the rest of my life. None of the doctors will tell me what exactly is going to happen to me. Of course they say they can't predict what is going to happen, but gosh can't they give me a better idea than the most I can hope for is that my arthritis will fuse my neck and then I will need my spine stablized.
    My question is how do I get a doctor to tell me the truth? If I am going to be paralized the rest of my life I think I should have the right to know.
    I will be heading back to Texas hopefully tomorrow and have an appointment with my PM doctor in October. How can I get him to tell me what will likely happen to me.
    Thanks in advance for your help. It took me a week to finally write this. I am scared to death.
    Cindy P
  2. cpalance

cpalance New Member

First off I am not looking for sympathy, just need to know what you guys would think if a doctor told you this:The best you can hope for is that the arthritis in your neck will fuse itself and then the doctors will have to do something to stablize your spine! I went to Dr. Manning in Connecticut for FMS while on vacation. The first visit he told me I needed surgery, etc. before my FMS would get better. I had already had 4 surgeons tell me that surgery is out, that there is nothing left (disc's)to operate on. One told me the slightest jolt could cause me to be paralized. I went back to Dr. Manning a second time and after he had read all my medical records, he made the above statement. Also told me I will be on medication the rest of my life. None of the doctors will tell me what exactly is going to happen to me. Of course they say they can't predict what is going to happen, but gosh can't they give me a better idea than the most I can hope for is that my arthritis will fuse my neck and then I will need my spine stablized.
    My question is how do I get a doctor to tell me the truth? If I am going to be paralized the rest of my life I think I should have the right to know.
    I will be heading back to Texas hopefully tomorrow and have an appointment with my PM doctor in October. How can I get him to tell me what will likely happen to me.
    Thanks in advance for your help. It took me a week to finally write this. I am scared to death.
    Cindy P
  3. dianep

dianep New Member

..just tell whatever docs that have seen you for this that you want a copy of your file, they can not refuse you this right
  4. herblady

herblady New Member

when i find a b.s. dr. i find another one. i wish i knew what to tell you about your spine but i do know one thing. surgery will NOT help fm. whoever told you that was a quack. cindi