NEED YOUR HELP!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Godismystrength, Nov 19, 2012.

1. I've had insomnia since last Thursday and with my current condition, this is about the worse thing that could have happened to me. I am currently going on NO sleep and am desperate for a solution.

My sleep regiment that is no longer working was 3 magnesium glycinate, 3 caps Relax~All, 1 Lemon Balm, Sleepytime tea and a 5 mg Melatonin. So I tried the Glycine that has seemed to help so many on this board, along with a new sleep supp called "Sleep~Assure" along with the magnesium and Sleepytime tea. After a couple of nights on the glycine with no improvement in my insomnia, I stopped taking it because I started having nausea and that is a possible side effect of the glycine (just my luck!). So now I'm at a loss as to what to do. Each night my insomnia has seemed to have gotten worse.

I even tried getting out in my backyard and getting the morning sun on my face for about 20 min to help reset my circadian rhythm... AND I took a hot soak in epsom salts last night and got to bed much earlier (been getting to bed a little earlier each night). And as the hours passed and I still wasn't asleep, I took more magnesium and lemon balm and more sleepytime tea AND STILL couldn't fall asleep. I even resorted to taking a percocet by 3:30 a.m. (which I usually don't like to take ANYTHING that's not natural) because I was so desperate to sleep... and even THAT didn't knock me out. In the past when I was given percocet in the hospital, it always put me to sleep... so I DON'T UNDERSTAND what the the heck is going on?

I know that cortisol is likely the culprit, but after my soak, I got into bed and noticed that my heartrate was much slower than previous nights... and I wasn't feeling anxious or tense... I was totally relaxed and still couldn't fall asleep! And I'm not able to fall asleep during the daytime either. So does anyone have any suggestions and/or sleep supps that have really helped you? I am desperate here! Going downhill fast...

I am looking into some of the adrenal support supps that Mary mentioned to me in another thread (thanks Mary!)... but any other suggestions or insights are greatly appreciated!

Blessings,
    Shel
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

In a book I have by a FM expert he mentions that you need to rotate your sleep stuff otherwise your body gets used to it and it doesn't work. Ha....don't we know that.

I take Peaceful Nights from Prohealth. It says to take 4 tablets but I find that one will do it for me for about 4 hrs. When I wake up I take another one. If I take two when I go to bed I STILL wake up after 3 or 4 hrs. I find that it works to calm my brain (it has GABA in it) I also take a sublingual melatonin 2.5 mg about every 3 nights. Then about once a week or l0 days when I start to feel desperate to be knocked out I resort to only one tylenol PM. No matter how bad it is I'm not taking ambien anymore.

I also will use my walkman to listen to soothing spa type music or just put in silicone ear plugs to pay attention to my slow deep breathing.

I wish you much luck with whatever you try. I can read your desperation.....been there too many times.
  3. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Acupuncture and Insomnia
    and
    Acupuncture and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

and there are a lot of sites on these two.

I've had my 13th session yesterday and beginning to believe in this miracleous work.

My primary reason for doing this work is for lower back stenosis and general pain, but finding this work addresses all body systems. My goal is to have NO back surgery from all the mess of the hip replacement surgery and hopefully this work will keep me from the knife again.

But this ancient therapy addresses so much and I would certainly suggest to give it a good trial for your issues. It takes time but I'm realizing it's working for me...
  4. MicheleK

MicheleK Moderator

What you are going through is really hard. I hate when those cycles of not sleeping hit. I can go 48 hours without a wink of sleep and then when I do sleep, I sleep 24 hours. These kinds of cycles often happen to those with this DD.

I sleep in a separate room from my husband and put on a relaxation CD that has night sounds or ocean waves. I take doxepin and klonipin which are RX drugs. When I am in a phase where sleep wouldn't come if I swallowed a bottle of sleeping pills, I stop trying to sleep and just roll with it. Eventually we will fall asleep.

If you have to fit into someone else's schedule, that can be tough. If your husband will just roll with you during the insomnia and allow you to not worry about it and sleep when sleep comes, that is beneficial.

Just like we cannot do all the other normal things healthy people do, sometimes we cannot sleep and wake up as healthy ones do.

Sleep deprivation is used effectively as a method of torture by government agencies. So it is no wonder that when we are sleep deprived we feel a bit down, can't think clearly, or feel anxious. So be gentle with yourself while you are experiencing this cycle.

Worrying only makes it worse. But of course you already know this. Hugs, Michele
  5. I can't thank you enough for those great suggestions... I actually DO wear earplugs every night because I'm so sensitive to noise... and I do play some calming sounds (like rain) which I can still hear faintly with my earplugs in. My husband and I DO usually have to sleep apart because he snores horribly and jerks in his sleep... but he is very understanding about my sleep problems and wants to help... so I am very thankful for that! And I so appreciate all of your input and encouragement.

Jam, I've only tried acupuncture once and don't remember whether it helped or not... I'm sure you have to do a series of sessions as you are doing to get good results... I will def consider that and look at the site you mentioned... thanks so much, Jam!

Leah, thanks for the idea of trying something I used a while ago... I used to use benadryl quite a few years ago and it worked for a while. So I'm going to try that tonight. Pray that this works... I've been awake now for about 33 hours straight... which would be tough enough if I was healthy... but combined with this DD, that takes it to a whole other level! But I know you all have been where I am, so I need not explain...

I'm also going to try a product Mary mentioned that is meant to lower cortisol levels... its called Relora... has anyone else tried this? I'm praying it helps! I don't want to wake up and not be able to move or speak... and I'm afraid that's where I'm headed if I don't get this resolved quickly... but I am doing my best NOT to stress or worry about it... just very VERY tired...

Thanks again to all of you! You have been a great help! God bless you!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    Shel

6. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

sometimes the low setting on my heating pad helps me to relax and go to sleep.

some nights I drift off while saying my prayers.

7. kjfms

kjfms Member

You need to see a physician and soon. You should already be in a bad mental state and possibly halusinating. Sleep depravation is nothing to mess around with is can kill you. I strongly urge you to seek medical help. Best of luck to you...

Kjfm
  8. Thankfully the benadryl did the trick! Praise God! I was asleep by 10 p.m. and awake by 5 a.m... and even though I only got 7 hours of sleep (was hoping for more like 9) I'm doing some better. Unfortunately I'm starting to come down with something... started coughing my head off last night and my throat is very sore... but I took Delsym for my cough (which lasts for 12 hours) and that took care of my cough. I've been upping my vitamin C and swabbing DMSO in my throat and nose to hopefully keep this from progressing.

But I just wanted to thank all of you for your prayers! Keep praying that I can continue to sleep each night and that this cough doesn't turn into anything serious. Thanks again so much to all of you for your help and suggestions.

Kjfm... no worries... I wasn't having any mental problems other than foggy thinking and extremely tired... no hallucinations... I was getting about 5 hrs of sleep each day (just not at night) until Monday night when I decided to just stay up and see if that helped... and it did. I was awake approx 36 hours before I finally got much needed sleep last night. I'm hoping I can get to bed even earlier tonight and get maybe 9 hours of sleep... that would be great...

Thanks again everyone! And I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I'm having to skip the large family gathering this year at my sister's house... but my youngest daughter is home from college and made some of the food that I usually make... I'm praying I will be well enough to do my turkey tomorrow... we will do our dinner later in the day around 5 to allow me to get the rest I need. I'm hoping to at least make my pie crust later today so my daughter can make the fillings for me... So it will be a small family gathering... but we have MUCH to be thankful for... always...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone... hope its a blessed day for you... and that your symptoms will be better...

Shel
    [This Message was Edited on 11/21/2012]
  9. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I'm glad you got some sleep, finally. It's miserable to stay awake so long. The only thing I've found to help me is Benadryl or Waldryl. Waldryl is Walgreens brand, and I use that because it has a children's chewable that I like and I can take less than the whole dosage.

I finally gave in to my sleep pattern and started sleeping in the daytime. I fought it for years, literally, and tried so hard to sleep at night. The more I tried at night, the less I slept overall.

Once I started to go to bed when I felt sleepy and sleep as long as I could, I started to have regular sleeping hours. I now sleep about 9 or 10 hours a day. I still wake up about every 2 or 3 hours, but I go right back to sleep. Sometimes I get up to take some pain med., over the counter aspirin/tylenol combo.

The dowside is that I sleep in the daytime and when I have to go to doctor's appnts. it's very hard but that's still better than before. GB66
  10. Yes, I did much better Tuesday night... but last night, not so good :-( I give up on trying to understand this body of mine. The benadryl didn't work last night... makes NO SENSE to me esp when it worked the night before. But thankfully my husband had brought me something new to try from our local apothecary... it was a packet of pills that are a combination of natural things. But I fell asleep later than I'd liked since I thought the benadryl would work and then by the time I realized it wasn't working and took the other pills and had to wait for them to get in my system, 2 and a half hours had passed.... and then I still only got not quite 5 hours sleep... So I don't know WHAT'S going on with this body of mine!

I just started an adrenal support supp that Mary suggested, but I guess it will take some time to feel the benefits of it... hopefully that will help get my sleep back to normal. But I'm glad you've found something that works for you.... because you're right when you say that insomnia is MISERABLE!

Hoping for better nights soon! Take care and God bless you!

Shel
  11. mbofov

mbofov Member

It would still be a good idea to get your cortisol levels tested so you can know more exactly what you are dealing with. the more information you have, the better you can decide what to do. And if your cortisol levels are quite elevated at night, you might do better with something like Seriphos. And as I said in my earlier post, if you don't hvae a doctor who will order the adrenal stress index test, you can get it done through Clymer Healing Research on-line - I used them and they were great.

I hope you continue to do better, and happy thanksgiving!

Mary
  12. ...for your kind words. I'm a little "worse for wear" today because even though I tried to do the wise thing and stay home and pace myself yesterday... it still wound up being a little too much for my body. Between skyping with my two older kids who are on opposite sides of the globe right now, and some of my family dropping by later than we expected, it made for a late night and with my sleep issues, this just set me up for a crash.

I even told my parents that I needed them to come around 4 pm so I could start my nightime routine by 8... but they didn't get here till 6! And there's really no excuse because they had been at my sister's house since 11:30 a.m.... there's no consideration here whatsoever for what I'm dealing with... NONE... and it just blows my mind.... they say they care and are praying and then do something like this... My aunt and uncle were in town visiting from New Orleans and I dearly love them and really wanted to see them cause I hadn't seen them in over a year and a half.... and they were with my parents so that's the only reason I let them go ahead and come. But they were here till 10 pm... and on top of that, my younger sister and her husband and baby stopped by around 7, and I was thrilled to see them, esp since I hadn't seen my baby nephew in forever... But by 7 p.m., I was already feeling like I could collapse... but kept pushing... So now I'm paying for it... as always... uuggh!

But thank you Mary for the info... I will certainly look into that! My sleep was some better last night but I had to wind up taking BOTH the sleep packet AND the benadryl, cause either one ALONE doesn't work for me... and I wasn't able to get to sleep till like 2:30 a.m. and woke up around 8 a.m.... unable to move... fell back to sleep around 8:30 I'm guessing and slept till 11 a.m.... so my sleep pattern is all messed up again! I was trying so hard to get to bed earlier and wake up earlier at the same time every day... now this has blown me out of the water :-( back to square one :-(

But I will look into the cortisol testing and Seriphos, Mary,... thank you! And thanks Leah for your caring too! I love you guys! Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and that it didn't take too much out of you... as it did me...

Shel