Need your opinions on my plan to fast

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoebe1, Nov 22, 2006.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Last year I did a very intensive detox and I felt great! I was very good for a long time but then slowly but surely I began slipping into bad eating habits again, not as bad as I was but not good either. This is mainly due to fatigue and the fact that it is much more effort to eat healthy food than not so healthy food.

I want to fast for 5 days next week, and by fasting I mean only taking in liquids and a few raw foods, I'm suppose to juice these foods but I don't have a juicer and I work very long hours so I have to do what is easiest.
    I would like your opinions on what I plan to do, I am basing this on my previous experience.

In the morning I am going to take aloe juice, after that a glass of hot water with honey and lemon. During the day I will eat apple and pineapple in small amounts (for the benefits of the pectin and bromelain), I will try to drink half a glass of beetroot juice a day (if I can keep it down, the taste is horrible to me), in between I will drink green tea and lots of purified filtered water.

If I am starving at night I will either have some lightly steamed broccoli, brown rice, cucumber, celery or carrots, just one and not the same one again after that.

I will take probiotics everyday, vitamin C and organic wheatgrass. If I can find bentonite clay anywhere, I will drink a few tablespoons of that as well.
    I'm considering having a few raw almonds per day but I'm not sure.

I will really appreciate your input!

Phoebe

2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Why not juice a lot of veggies and make it taste better? You could make a V8 drink, which has beet juice in it. Be careful with your fast- in fact, couldn't you get similar results with a detox package that you could buy over the counter? I'm wondering if 5 days isn't a bit too long....

Just my 2 cents worth. Take care, Terri
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

How long did you fast last time? Five days sounds like a long time to me.

My doctor recommended that I try fasting, but suggested doing it just for a day to start and then (if it seemed helpful) maybe repeating it for a longer period of time a bit later.

This wasn't just because of nutritional issues, but because he said too much fasting all at once might cause too much detoxing and be bad for me (e.g. put stress on my liver and kidneys and possibly causes the toxins to be reabsorbed).

Of course, you know your body better than anyone by now, and should do what feels right.

I did a day-long fast a few times and felt that it was a good thing for me. My strategy was roughly the same as yours.

I do have a juicer and made a glass or two of mixed vegetable juices. I also had a little fruit juice. One time I had a little brown rice too.

I also had a supplement that the doctor gave me.....Ultra Clear or something like that. I don't know how necessary it was for a short fast. It might be more useful for a longer one.

My impression is that there isn't one particular way to fast, as long as you give your system a break by providing it only with things that are healthy and very easy to digest. I did mine pretty haphazardly and felt like it helped me a lot.

I'm certainly no expert at _all_ on this though. And I think you're more fibro than CFS (whereas I have basically no fibro at all), and so what helped me could be totally different than what helps you.

How are you doing in general, Phoebe?
  4. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Thanks for your reply Alaska, I can not stand the taste of juiced veggies, just the smell of it makes me gag. Believe me, I wish I could keep down juiced veggies because I know it is super healthy, but I just can't.

The last time I fasted it was also for 5 days, I didn't feel hungry or tired once, but actually like I was on a high, I was very surprised as I was sure I was going to feel really bad while living on liquids.

Lisapetrison, I used the Ultra Clear on my last fast, it is for liver support but I thought the taste was terrible. I didn't have any food, only freshly juiced apple juice, pineapple juice and off course the horrid beetroot juice. I also took the supplements I mentioned in my post and had a colonic everyday plus other detox treatments like lymph drainage etc. I don't think I have ever felt that good.
    It was very difficult and took a lot of willpower but I was mentally prepared, this time around I don't feel as strong that is why I want to include some food. I think it could work.

In general I am doing good, just very tired after a hard year and no vacation time, we are going down to the coast in january and I can't wait. I must thank you for all your kindness, support and advice with my previous problem. It meant so much to me, I bought the book about verbal abuse and I am almost finished reading it. Some of it, but not all the traits I recognize in my husband, and scariest of all, some of those things I do as well!

I feel as though we are on the road to recovery, I prayed for an answer one night while I was lying awake and thinking how much I hated my husband. The next morning I phoned my cousin and we ended up talking about our husbands, she was on the verge of leaving hers but then told me that before one takes the easy (and drastic) way out, I must do everything in my power to save my marriage, and only after I can say I have tried everything and there is really nothing left, can I give up.

She recommended a book that she bought for exactly the same reason and I went that same day and bought it for myself, it is called "When wives pray for their husbands" by Stormie Omartian, it is such an unbelievable eye opener for me. I am already seeing miracles happen.
    Thank you for caring!

Hugs
    Phoebe
    [This Message was Edited on 11/23/2006]
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Several years ago, I became interested in fasting and did some reading on the subject.

One thing that I learned is that people who have hypoglycemia are poor candidates for fasting. It they do fast, they should do so under a doctor’s supervision. I have hypoglycemia and could not afford a doctor supervised fast, so no fasting for me.

Another thing I learned is that it is hard on your body to go directly from your regular died to fasting, then right back to your regular diet again. One book said that if you do not have to time to do a proper pre-fast, don’t fast. The other book said that if you do not have time to do a proper post-fast, don’t fast. During the pre-fast and post-fast, you take away or add certain types of food each day. I don’t remember how it is done now.

Since you are not feeling as well as you did the last time you fasted, I think it would be a good idea to learn the proper fasting procedure so that you don’t do your body more harm than good.
  6. dooker

dooker New Member

Hi Phoebe,

Just wondering, have you already discovered what your food allergies are? If not, then your fasting may be a good time to try an elimination diet to determine what foods you are allergic too, if any.

It took me a while, but through elimination dieting, I discovered that I am allergic to gluten, and sulphites. It was a long process, but worth it in the end.

If fasting generally makes you feel better, then there is probably a particular food that is making you sick.

Mike
  7. Churchgirl

Churchgirl New Member

It should take you as long to get back to your regular diet as the time you spent fasting: Five days fasting = Five days of gradually getting back to your regular diet.

"When Ye Fast" by Joy Haney is a good reference book for fasting. It explains why fasting benefits you physically from a spiritual viewpoint.

Take Care.
  8. DoveIndian

DoveIndian New Member

I use to fast every 3 months,I did feel alot better than I do now.I would fast for a week and slowly eat for a week after that.
    I have not taken the time to do so for a year.Thank you!!! It is time for me to do so.I felt so much better when I did.What I found important !! I s ready the Bible as I fasted.

Take care
    Dove
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I looked up that book on Amazon. In the U.S. it is called "The Power of a Praying Wife."

(Ms. Omartian has managed to trademark the phrase "The Power of a Praying". I find that sort of amusing. Then again, Baker's Square has trademarked the phrase "The Best Pies in America." And Brown's Chicken has trademarked the phrase "It Tastes Better." Probably soon Bush will trademark the pharase "The Best World Leader Who Ever Lived." Nothing would surprise me at this point.)

Anyway, "The Power of the Praying Wife" seems to be very popular and to have prompted very enthusiastic responses amongst those who have read it. The next time I am at a bookstore, I will look for it and try to figure out why her suggestions have been so successful.

I think that "Verbal Abuse" book works best at getting people to recognize their own destructive verbal behaviors and thus to make an effort to change them. Especially if you've grown up in a dysfunctional family as I did, it's easy to slip into those habits and not realize how much harm you're doing to the relationship in the process. I don't know that this was the intention of the writer of the book, but that certainly was the effect that it had on me....and my marriage got quite a bit better after I made a conscious effort to change what I was doing.

I was rather hoping that your husband might be motivated enough to read it and think about how he might change. Regardless, maybe if you change the way that you talk to him, maybe he will follow suit at least a little bit.

I can't remember if the book's tone was the frequent "Look what a jerk this person is" stuff. That's never helpful, I don't think. Change has to come from love, not from anger. (Which doesn't mean that angry feelings aren't appropriate.....just that trying to obtain change while you're feeling them is highly unlikely in creating the sort of loving marriage that people want.)

The reaction you got on the board from your original post was pretty amazing to me. I suppose that these women had been in truly abusive marriages and are hypersensitive to anything the reminds them of what they went through. I feel bad for them. My mother had some of that feeling too.....she recently told me that she was afraid to even date after her divorce because of the possibility that she again might end up in a situation that was really bad. And so I actually can understand the concern in response to your post, even if it seemed to me to have spun out of control.

It didn't seem to me that you were ready to leave your husband yet (or that it was imperative that you do so), and so working to make things truly better seemed the right thing to do. It's early enough in your marriage that (provided that your husband really is a good guy at heart and just never learned how to have positive intimate relationships....I don't know if that's the case or not) it seems possible to do that. (After people have been married for a long time and have hurt one another in various ways that whole time, it can be a lot harder.)

As I think I said, my own relationship with my husband was difficult at the beginning. A good chunk of this had to do with my own behaviors (some of the ones mentioned in the "Verbal Abuse" book), but my husband's hypersensitivity and tendency to withdraw at even the slightest critical remark didn't help. We've both gotten a whole lot better since then. A lot has to do with the chamged behaviors, but it's also been important that we've come to realize that we both do have one another's best welfare in mind and are not going to abandon the relationship either by actually leaving it or mentally distancing ourselves from it.

Admittedly, drugs have helped too. I have mild manic-depression, which used to cause me to be irritable at times. And he has a tendency toward "anxiety attacks," which used to add to his sensitivity. We have both ended up on Lamictal (a mild anti-seizure drug that helps some people with mood problems too), and that has been a good thing to address those tendencies. We had made a lot of progress even before the chemical intervention, though.

Oddly, I think the CFS has helped on this score, too. It's like I've been through enough difficulties in my life that minor things just don't seem worth arguing about. Having spent a lot of time thinking about the priorities in my life, I've decided that having a peaceful and loving marriage is what matters the most and that everything else (including his imperfections) are unimportant in the scheme of things. So maybe at least some good has come out of being sick. Now that I've learned these and other lessons though, I think it's about time for me to get well again. I'm cautiously hopeful that (with some new possibilities available) I can make some progress in this direction in the near future.

Anyway, I'm very glad that it seems that things in your marriage now are starting to seem like they have the potential of improving. "I'm already starting to see miracles happen" seems very promising indeed. I really do want to read that book soon. And keep me posted on how things are going, if you would.

On another topic, I'd like to hear more about your experiences with colonics and lymph drainage.

I recently had a couple of colonics when I was herxing badly from killing off yeast, and it worked like a charm for me. I'm not sure what else they're helpful for, though.

I did have a couple more colonics after finishing the yeast herx, but they didn't seem to do much. I've come to the conclusion that there is a lot of gunk in my colon--I think it's been there since I was a child--but it seems to be too embedded to just wash out. I've been trying to address it slowly with a psyllium-herbal cleanse and hopefully am making some progress. Perhaps after I'm done with that, hydrotherapy colonics will be more useful. This is not an area that people seem to use or talk about very much, but I think it does have potential for being good for me if used in the right way.

I know even less about lymphatic drainage but would like to learn more about that as well.

I agree with the idea that doing a major fast might be a good time to explore food allergies. (Eliminating foods that I'm allergic to has been a _really_ big help for me.) I've never heard of anyone being allergic to rice, and so that seems a fine thing to have if you feel you need food during the cleansing. Maybe when you come off the fast, you could add the foods that you eat the most often one at a time, waiting several days in between to see if you notice a discernible drop in your health in between.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't eat a variety of foods when you stop fasting, just that you temporarily avoid the ones that are mostly likely to cause people problems. (Those tend to be things that are eaten most often.....especially dairy, wheat, eggs, citrus, and--at least in America--corn. Dairy is an especially big one.) Then maybe if you carefully note your reaction when you carefully add those common foods back, you will find one or more that does have an negative effect on you and that you might omit from your diet permanently.

There also are blood tests that measure food allergies, but they're not totally reliable. I plan to get a blood test done soon myself again, though. I already have identified about 20 foods that I react strongly to. (I may be extreme on this, or maybe most CFS sufferers just haven't explored the area.) It's possible that another test might turn up some additional possible problems that would be worth exploring by elimination and reintroduction, though.

Also, do you think you could stand wheatgrass juice, if it's available to you? You just need to drink a tiny little cup of it, and could follow it immediately with something else to get rid of the taste. I don't take it too often (it's only available in certain places), but it always intuitively feels really helpful when I do.

Let me know the results of your fast, if you get a chance. I'd like to do a more extensive fast myself sometime (perhaps after I get further into my colon cleanse) and so would be very interested to hear anything you have to offer on this topic.

Good luck to you on all fronts. And enjoy your upcoming vacation too.....it sounds like you're due one!
  10. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Phoebe1.
    I know you had good results last time, but I would caution you to re-assess your condition. You list yourself as having FM. Do you also have CFS? How tired are you? If you are suffereing from fatigue, I would really really ask you to be careful.

When I was diagnosed with CFS, my Dr., would not only not let me fast, she wouldn't even let me diet! She felt that I was too weak already, and needed to build myself up, first.

Good luck.
    Terry

11. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I think whether it's okay to fast depends on how sick you are. I'm at a 6/7, and my (very good) doctor suggested that fasting might be helpful. He did say that I might start with just one day and see how it felt, since detoxifying too quickly is stressful.

I'm of the belief that Phoebe currently is working, and so her level of health must be at least at a reasonable level.

I _think_ that Phoebe's main problem may be fibro. I'm of the impression that detoxification can be a particularly good thing for fibro patients, and so perhaps the fast is appropriate.

The comment that fasting can be dangerous is a very good one, though. And stopping the fast (or modifying it) if one starts to feel worse rather than better seems an especially good idea.
  12. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Well, I gave up after 22 hours, for some reason I didn't feel good at all this time. I had a blinding headache and was very lightheaded and dizzy, so I decided to leave it, plus it's that time of the month so it was probably not a good idea to start with. But thanks for all the advice :)

Lisapetrison, you can look at one of my old posts about detox, it was around last year october I think. Let me know if you can't find it.
    Thank you again for all your support, I hope you know how much it means to me!

Hugs
    Phoebe
  13. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

So sorry. Our bodies are so weird! It would be nice to have _some_ idea what to expect from one day to the next, but obviously that's not the reality.

Keep in touch, please.

Love, Lisa
  14. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Upon reflection, it seems that your body must be either really toxic or really worn out to have that big of a reaction so quickly.

if that happened to me, i think I would try taking a lot of denatured whey protein (which I believe is protective of my liver). I would do some more colon cleansing. And then I would try a modified fast, with plans to eat a few foods (rice, some tofu, a little fruit, a little easy-to-digest vegetables like mashed pumpkin) to see what kind of a reaction I got.

Of course, a lot of people here are sensitive to denatured whey protein, and liver is not an issue for some people. (My lab tests have never suggested it was a problem for me, but I think having a liver in really optimal shape is important with FM/CFS.)

And of course, I think you know a lot more about colon cleansing than I do.

And of course, the foods to eat on a modified fast are up for debate. (Lots of people here are very suspicious of soy in general, for instance.)

But I think I would do something of this sort at some time in the future. The reaction you got sounds like you may have been detoxifying too quickly (which is what my doctor warned me about when we discussed the issue). In that event, detoxification could be really important, if it were pursued in the right way.
  15. Scapper

Scapper New Member

So many different factors effect fasting.....as I'm sure you know.

I'm just curious if you used the Bentonite this time?

I also think having your period contributed to feeling horrible this time.....that whole process take a lot of our energy!

Also, last year you mentioned that you had a colonic each day. I'm sure the colonic made the fast easier (the detox reaction easier) by getting rid of toxins in a huge way.....instead of your body having to work extra hard to detox......just a thought.

I was curious if you used the Bentonite this time though.....because this could cause a heavy detox reaction.

scapper

p.s. I agree w/ the above the people w/ hypoglycemia have to be very careful w/ fasting!
  16. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I think that I am very worn out, I've been working since january without one single break. I am very tired, physically and mentally and I am at that point where I don't even want to come to work anymore, it's like I am instantly in a bad mood when I get here in the morning.

I have leave from the 15th, I am counting the days!
    I also think it is possible that I may have been detoxing too quickly, I was using the bentonite but in small amounts (I think).
    I am suspicious of soy but it doesn't agree with me anyway so I won't be able to take it. You are very right about the liver, it is extremely important that it functions at it's optimum.
    I will give the denatured whey a try next time.

I think I will try this again next year when I feel rested and ready :) My husband signed up for the body for life program to start in feb, so maybe I will try again then.

Hugs
    Phoebe