need your recipe for spinach and potato soup

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by atiledsner, Jan 15, 2006.

1. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

I have never been one to do potato soups or cook spinach.I ate canned pop eye spinach it was terrible.I was introduced to fresh spinash and I love it!!!Got any more recipes you want to share?
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

When I make soup, I never use a recipe or measure anything. So all I can do is tell you how I make it.

----

Start out with a big pot. Fill the bottom of the pot with as many diced uncooked potatoes as you want--of course, the more you put in, the more soup you will have.

Add water to the potatoes, not quite covering them. Add a couple chicken boullin cubes to the water. (Note: OR--you can add a few cans of chicken boullin first then finish off with water.)

Add to your potatoes:
    - a large onion, diced (or more onion, if you like).
    - one or two large raw carrots, peeled, and sliced.
    - one or two sticks of celery, diced.

Cover and cook over medium heat until vegetables are fork-tender.

Add enough milk to soup to make the soup the consistency the way you want it. (Note: If you are running short on milk, you can always add some Carnation evaporated milk as part of your milk requirement. It might make your soup taste even richer!)

Now, add about a 1/2 stick of butter or margarine.

Next, add a really big chunk of Velvetta cheese which has been cubed.

Turn heat to low so that milk won't scortch while the butter and cheese are melting. Stir frequently.

Now for the taste test! See how it tastes BEFORE you add salt and pepper.

Then, salt and pepper to taste.

Note: You can also add anything else that you want to--as far as spices, etc. I like the carrots in potato soup because it not only add flavor to the soup, but color. So, for example, if you like more color, you could always use green onions--including some of the top part--to add more color.

Note: You may have to make a few pots of the soup before you get the measurements of your ingredients to just how you like them, but in no time, you'll be making the best potato soup around!!

---------------

NOW, FOR THE SPINACH PART:

This is where I tell you the truth! I've never made potato and spinach soup; however, I would think you could cook your fresh spinach separately, then just add into the cooked potato soup, don't you think?

Look in a cookbook, on the web, on on the package of fresh spinach to see how you cook it.

Or, if you don't want the fresh spinach, cook some of the frozen spinach -- anything ought to be better than the canned spinach!! LOL

---------------------------

Let me know if you ever make it and how you like it!

Hugs,
    Janet
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2006]
  3. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

I saw a post that i thought had spinach and potato soup as a listed thing to do.I guess I just read it wrong,BUT I am trying to incorperate more green vegetables into my diet. I love potatoes so I thought this was a way to add some greens to my soup.I'll try the potato soup recipe soon.I just bought some Butter Gold potatoes, they were wonderful.Also more expensive than regular potatoes.I had never seen them before.Martha Stewart was cooking some one day and they looked so good.I wasn't disappointed.Do any of you use different kinds of potatoes or know of a lot of different types?
  4. sues1

sues1 New Member

I love spinach and even in the can. But on canned spinach I usually add a couple of drops of vinegar on the amount I have on my plate or side dish.

I have made good soup out of many things, but never did it with spinach. Take that recipe that was posted for you and you can also add a little frozen peas/Corn/limas, etc. AND/OR left over cauliflower and Brocolli. Nice that we have bags of frozen vegs and can use a little amount from them. Also a little bacon bits added is wonderful. I only add enough that you might not really see it, but it sure gives a good taste.

When I make Lagsana (SP?) or other pasta......and I mix cheese and stuff to layer the pasta with, I sometimes take can spinach and squeeze it dry with my hands and cut up with kitchen scissors and add to the mixture. People who does not like spinach rave over this. Sure is good. Actually can use any pasta and put into a casserole dish in layers, repeating it as you go.......YUMMY...
    Blessings

5. JLH

JLH New Member

I just use whatever type of potato I happen to have on hand!

As far as a garnish, when you serve your soup, you can put some bacon bits (or real fried, crumbled bacon) and shredded cheddar cheese on top--right in the middle of the bowl.

Like Sues1 mentioned, you can add many other veggies to it, I usually don't because my family fusses that it then becomes vegetable soup and not potato soup, but when I go out someplace, I will get potato and broccoli soup (which does not have carrots in it). It's really yummy. But my kids always disliked broccoli.

But now that they are gone, the broccoli in it sounds so good, I think I'll make a pot soon and put some broccoli in it! Can't wait now! LOL

6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Has the best recipes for just about everything healthy that tastes good. They just came out with a new book for quicker meals as some of their others were time consuming.

I make a nice quick soup by buying organic frozen spinach and just adding garlic, ginger, herbs and organic veggie stock(you could use chicken) to it. Make nice squash soup in a minute or so, by buying frozen squash, melting it down and adding garlic ginger and herbs and then topping off with milk or rice dream to about equal parts. It works out not only cheaper than yukkie canned soups but tastes really good and is enough for four.
    Crom
  7. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

SPINACH AND POTATO SOUP

2 tsp olive oil
    1 1/2 onion
    4 large potatoes, peeled & diced
    1 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup chopped spinach leaves
    1 cup low-fat 1% milk
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper

In large saucepan, heat the oil. Add onions; cook until softened - about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, broth & garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the spinach.

Transfer the mixture to a blender; add milk and puree. Stir in salt & pepper. Return the mixture to the saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Thin with additional broth or water if necessary to the desired consistency.

ENJOY!
    serving provides 2 breads, 1 fruit/vegetable, 1 fat
    254 calories
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

just use spinach instead of meat....

and spinach salad is great to....
    i like to use marie's spinach salad dressing...

jodie