Needed advice about disability exam...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by knickelson23, Mar 31, 2007.

1. knickelson23

knickelson23 New Member

I was sent an appointment date and time for disability exam with a Doctor I've never been to which I know is normal procedure. What I was wondering is, do any of you think or advise that I should call and cancel that one if they will agree to let me see my own Rheumatologist. After all, she knows my case and how my FM affects my work and everyday life. I'm assuming, of course, that my doctor will agree to do this. I hate the thought of going to a doctor that I'm unfamiliar with for something as important as this. Does it hurt your case in any way to go this route? I jumped the gun and sent the appt. confirmation letter in already, but I think they would understand. Any thoughts or advise anyone?? Thank you!! Love, K-Nick
  2. lptopcat

lptopcat New Member

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge on disability pocedures, but wanted to make sure your question stays at top. Hope you get answers soon. Good luck to you!
  3. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

K-Nick I hate to say it but I think they want you to go to their doctor. It's someone that doesn't know you so they figure that it is unbiased. Besides I have asked my regular doctor, my Rheumatologist and my pain doctor. They have all said no. Most of the questions questionaires they send the doctors to fill out is something that you can only know if you live with them. The other reason they don't fill them out is because they are very long and it takes the doctors at least 5 hours. Sorry this doesn't feel any better about you doctor but just go in there and be honest and don't try to do things that you know are going to hurt you. Good luck......SueF
  4. lptopcat

lptopcat New Member

again, fir more ansers, please and thanks!
  5. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I was sent to a quack by SS for the evaluation. He was a real quack & wrote things that absolutely were not true, even disputed my records from hospitals, tests, etc.
    He never even touched any of my fibro points, didn't even know what all my diagnosies were, etc.

He never even washed his hands before the exam. Bleah!

His questions consisted of terribly sexist remarks like, who does the laundry, who vaccums, etc.

needless to say, I was turned down. I hope the state turns down his renewal license. What a jerk!

Had I known this would be my experience, I would have picked a neutral doc on my own.
  6. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi knickelson
    sorry but they probably won't go for it, and when you do go, bring a witness and a videocamera! This is an IME exam, (which translates into--In Their Pocket-they can't spell either,lol!)
    when i had one done for a private dis. company, the doc. form that i later saw made him swear that he had never treated me, didn't know me, etc. In fact, when i tried to ask his advice about something, he said that he wasn't allowed to take me as a patient for at least a year.
    i later found out he was paid $850 for exam he would have charged $200 for.
    These exams are SUPPOSED to make you out to be a malingering fraud, so they DO NOT want the advice of a doc. that knows you.
    I have heard of a few honest ones that have helped people, but they are the minority. Ask if you can bring your lawyer, but definitely show up or get an extension of time IN WRITING or you won't have a case, they will say you just failed to show.
    Good luck--L
  7. 6cats

6cats New Member

If this is the first time applying for disability the exam, it is imperative you go to their Doctors. And nine times out of ten they wont get it right. The one Doctor I saw knew nothing of pressure points, etc so it was a waste of time. I ended up having to get a lawyer for my case anyway.....
  8. charlenef

charlenef New Member

for crap but you have to go please dont think their going to do anything wonderful because they dont! they are wasting tax dollars on these quacks good luck charlene
  9. knickelson23

knickelson23 New Member

Thanks to all of you for your time and wonderful advice! I will just go to this Doctor they've set me up with and hope for the best. And to obrnlc--Good suggestion about the video camera, I think I'll do that. Even if this Doc turns out to be a quack, I'm not going anywhere if they deny me. Appeal-Appeal-Appeal!!! Good day to all!! Love- K-Nick
  10. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

take a tape recorder and someone with you as well.