Needing ideas on beverages?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sunshyne1027, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have been drinking alot more water, dropped the caffiene, soda drinks. Coffee with sugar also. Seeing great improvements.

But getting tired of drinking water all the time. Would like a treat, something healthy though. Like a beverage. With no caffeine.

Any ideas?

2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I drink decaff coffee with no sugar or cream. I know a lot of people think decaff is also bad, but I can't just drink water all the time. I buy a really good brand so it's very tasty. No flavored coffee though - the oils in it make me sick to my stomach. Just plain old decaff.......

Annette2
  3. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Hi Sunshyne: When I was finally dx'd with fibro back in January this year, I was told to stop drinking Kool-aid/Crystal Light. That was pretty much all I drank, but apparently the aspertame (sp?) can be really bad. Have felt better fatigue wise, but could be that or a combo of things I have tried to change. I have been much better about drinking water, but I'm like you, I need a "taste" treat. I have been drinking some low-fat grape juice in the AM when water is particularly not appealing to me. I could drink gallons of it, but I'm making sure I only have a reasonable amount. I sometimes will have a soda during the day, but I don't drink diet any more because of the aspertame thingy again. I have never drank coffee or tea, so that's not a problem for me. Another suggestion from a doc to me was ice water with lemon. Sometimes I do that, but boy I sure do miss my Kool-aid!!!!! Pretty sad, but good for a laugh!
  4. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

low fat grape juice? give me a break. Not you, Nancy, the marketing department of the food company....

Juices are "bad" because so many of them have sugar, but they're probably better than soda.

You could try unsweetened iced tea. I think the regular stuff you buy has some caffeine in it, though. You could brew your own from herbal tea bags.

I drink plain old boring carbonated water when I want something different (and occasionally indulge in a pop). You can buy it with lemon or lime flavoring, or add your own.
  5. Drea

Drea New Member

Did you ever try a fruit flavored sparkling water? I drink them from time to time when I need something with flavor.
  6. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

You all have some great ideas! I appreciate it alot.
    They all sound good. Staying away from aspartame, never have had it in the past, and not going to add more problems.

I like juices, but they most all have sugar in them. I will try a few of the suggestions, see what happens.

Thanks Bunches!!
  7. FranWi

FranWi New Member

Splenda doesn't seem too bad - I've only heard people complain that it contains chlorine, and I'd probably consume more from swimming in a pool than sweetening a cup of tea.

Diet Rite uses Splenda instead of aspartame, and it comes in a variety of fruit flavors and cola. If water is really getting boring, I'll try a can of Diet Rite - but not every day.

And what about Sommersweet? Even though it is an artificial sweetener, I haven't heard any bad things about it yet. So what's the verdict?

:)

Fran
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

I also drink water all the time. You are right that it does get a bit monotonous. When I am out I always get a slice of lemon in it, which improves the taste, in my opinion.

One of my daughter's soccer coaches, who had played professionally in Denmark, told them not to drink straight juice. He said if they didn't want to drink plain water to mix the water with juice, with no more than 50% juice. In straight juice the sugar is naturally occuring, but they are still very sweet. I have found that watering down some juice is also a nice treat.

Barbara
  9. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Lime Perrier. Was a nice change.

Also adding a slice of fresh lemon to the water can be nice.

In the summer I used to make all sorts of iced herbal teas, but haven't done much of that this summer.

I especially like them with a touch of honey, you add it while they are hot, but maybe you are trying to avoid all sugars completely.

If you want to sin a little in a healthier way than soda pop, I find Ceres Haneput grape juice [made from Muscat grapes] to be like heavenly nectar. Has a very fruity flavour and sometimes I have it as a treat, kind of like a glass of wine. Served best chilled with no ice. such a lovely taste sensation.

Jen F