Needing info about some new RX's DR. gave me?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunnylover, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

Hi All,
    I have been having severe pain since June with back and
    left leg. Dr. gave me new scripts this past Monday, and since I've started them I have been retaining fluid and can't figure out which one is the causing it. I've looked up each one but hoping someone has used them and could tell
    me if they have same problem.
    Drugs or Lortab, Lexapro, and Zyprexa. All of them or helping my problem and I would hate to stop but I hate this water retention.
    My left leg is numb at the very top right below the hip. Dr. is trying his best to figure out the problem but my insurance keeps throwing us for a loop since I use them so much. He wants to do MRI but insurance won't pay, yet they want me to make 9 visits to a physical therapist before I can have MRI. I don't agree with them but can understand since I had an MRI and surgery this year.
    Another thing the Lortab is definately helping with pain but scared to take too much. Its also given me energy and I heard it was supposed to make you tired and drowsy. Its doing the very opposite with me. Could anyone tell me why?
    Sorry, this is so long but need answers. Thanks, Hope someone can help.
    Terri
  2. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

Hi All,
    I have been having severe pain since June with back and
    left leg. Dr. gave me new scripts this past Monday, and since I've started them I have been retaining fluid and can't figure out which one is the causing it. I've looked up each one but hoping someone has used them and could tell
    me if they have same problem.
    Drugs or Lortab, Lexapro, and Zyprexa. All of them or helping my problem and I would hate to stop but I hate this water retention.
    My left leg is numb at the very top right below the hip. Dr. is trying his best to figure out the problem but my insurance keeps throwing us for a loop since I use them so much. He wants to do MRI but insurance won't pay, yet they want me to make 9 visits to a physical therapist before I can have MRI. I don't agree with them but can understand since I had an MRI and surgery this year.
    Another thing the Lortab is definately helping with pain but scared to take too much. Its also given me energy and I heard it was supposed to make you tired and drowsy. Its doing the very opposite with me. Could anyone tell me why?
    Sorry, this is so long but need answers. Thanks, Hope someone can help.
    Terri
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

a "buzz" and I have a lot of energy AND it reduces the pain! Ultram does the same for me.
    I have edema ANYWAY, so a lot of meds. contribute to this for me. BUT, to answer your question, the most likely culprit is the Zyprexa! I took it as well and I just looked it up in my Mosby's Nursing Drug Reference and it is a major adverse reaction.
    Hope this helps!
    Kady
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hope this information might help you, also if you want additional info on all those meds, just go to; medscape.com Excellent site for information on all levels, layman, professional etc.

Shalom, Shirl

ZYPREXA ORAL
    Patient Handout

OLANZAPINE - ORAL

The following information is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of your physician, pharmacist or other healthcare professional. It should not be construed to indicate that use of the drug is safe, appropriate, or effective for you. Consult your healthcare professional before using this drug.

Common Brand Name(s):
    Zyprexa

Uses
    This medication is used for the treatment of certain mental disorders.

How to Take this Medication
    Take as directed, usually once a day by mouth. Stand up slowly, especially when starting this medication, to avoid dizziness.

Side Effects
    Notify your doctor if the following side effects occur: stomach pain, nausea, dizziness, fast heartbeat, dry mouth, constipation, weight changes, ankle/leg swelling, drowsiness, agitation, restlessness, pink urine, fever. Unlikely but possible: confusion, thirst, muscle stiffness, facial or body muscle twitching, lip or tongue movements, tremor, weakness, rash, itching, yellowing of the eyes or skin, trouble breathing, weakness on one side of your body, vision changes, headache, frequent or painful urination, painful or prolonged erection in men, difficulty swallowing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Precautions
    Before taking this medicine, tell your doctor if you have: other medical problems, liver or heart disease, low blood pressure, breast cancer, stroke, diabetes, seizures (any neurological problems), prostate problems, narrow angle glaucoma, intestinal disease, phenylketonuria, allergies (especially drug allergies). This medication can reduce sweating, making you prone to heat stroke. Avoid activities that might cause you to overheat (e.g., doing strenuous work or exercising in hot weather; using hot tubs). Alcohol use may add to the dizziness and drowsiness effect of this drug. Use with caution in the elderly. This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. It is not known if this drug is excreted into human milk. Caution is advised regarding breast-feeding; consult your doctor.

Interactions
    Tell your doctor of all prescription or nonprescription drugs you take, especially of: medicine for sleep, antidepressants, tranquilizers (such as diazepam), narcotic pain medicines, Parkinson's disease or seizure medicines, high blood pressure drugs, antihistamines, omeprazole, rifampin, anti- cholinergics (e.g., benztropine, hyoscyamine). Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.

Overdose
    If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include drowsiness and slurred speech.

Notes
    Obtain regular eye exams as part of your regular health care, and to check for any unlikely, but possible, eye problems.

Missed Dose
    If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not "double-up" the dose to catch up.

Storage
    Store at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20-25 degrees C) away from moisture and light as directed. Do not store in the bathroom.

Advice to Patients from AHFS DI™
    Risk of excessive weight gain, hypotension, and somnolence.Avoid driving, operating machinery or performing hazardous tasks while taking olanzapine until gain experience with drug’s effects.Importance of informing clinicians of existing or contemplated concomitant therapy, including prescription and OTC drugs.Importance of women informing clinicians if they are or plan to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.Overview® (see Users Guide). For additional information on this drug until a more detailed monograph is developed and published, the manufacturer’s labeling should be consulted. It is essential that the labeling be consulted for detailed information on the usual cautions, precautions, and contraindications.
  5. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Zyprexa caused me to gain 50 lbs. in a short period of time......thought you'd wanna know!
    Kady
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

It is commonly used as an antipsychotic, so I'm a little uncertain why you are on it. It is also known for causing excessive weight gain. You might want to check this with your doc. It also can cause drowsiness, so is often prescribed for use at bedtime.

Barbara