Needing some support-anyone tried Bowen?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by severina, Dec 2, 2005.

1. severina

severina New Member

I havent posted in a while, but I try to get online everyday to read your posts.
    Just feeling really bad for weeks now.
    I was at an Osteopath a week ago and on Wednesday, I went to a therapist who did the Bowen Technique - It was very relaxing, but when I got home I was so sick, I thought I was dying. Not sure if Ive done too much too quick together, but it took me a few days to get over the worst of the sickness and my pain levels where sky high.
    Today, I am a bit spacey, and light-headed and I have rotten head pains - I think Ive maybe overdone it a bit with the treatment?
    Just wanted to come on and ask if anyone has had the Bowen done and if so, what were your side-effects, if any?
    thanks.
    xx
    [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2005]
  2. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

haven't had Bowen, but know the bluchy feeling you are talking about. Are you taking plenty of Vita C and drinking lots of water? Would digestive enzymes help? Have you ever tried tri-salts or Alka Seltzer Gold? Hope you feel better soon. Jen102
  3. severina

severina New Member

Yeah I am trying to drink plenty of water, but its hard, Im not really a hardened water drinker LOL! but I know its essential for the Bowen aftercare. However I am due to go back for another session on Tuesday, and not sure about it now-I think its just really flared me, although the therapist said it shouldnt really.
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I haven't tried Bowen although I have read about it and thought I might try sometime. You obviously have had a sort of 'herxing' response, where a lot of toxins were released. This is ultimately good but hard to handle at the time.
    Everybody is different in how they respond to treatments. I would call your therapist and let her know. It might be worth while putting off the next treatment for a few more days.

Good Luck
    Kathy.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2005]
  5. severina

severina New Member

Kathy, thanks for that. I will look into it and let my therapist know.
    Any other help/advice appreciated!
  6. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I had bowen therapydone many yrs ago about 10 years I think long time before I was dianosed with fms and it hurt soo bad every where he touched me as for side effexcts I cannot remember but I never want to go down that road again or maybe he didn't know as much as he thought I also had a massage around the same time for shoulders etc but it hurt for many days after masseus said he must have gone to deep but now I think I had fms way back then goodluck. I found reiki or reflexology is great gave me diorhea but I thought it was just cleaning out my system ??????? at least I hoped it was
    Linda
  7. pepper

pepper New Member

I had 3 treatments (maybe 5, I am not sure) done by my naturopath last year. My reactions were about the same as yours. I was sick, spacey and light-headed and my back pain became worse.

He kept hoping for a turn-around but it never happened. He decided after the 3rd (or 5th?) treatment that there was no point in continuing, so I stopped.

Perhaps there is a chance that you could have a turn around. But after 3 or 4 treatments I think that you will know if it is going to help you.

Good luck.
    Pepper
  8. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Had a mild relapse with a practitioner of low standard. Seems like the advice is to find a very good one as it is more art than science but its funny some of us had such a negative response. It affected my autonomic nervous system..
  9. severina

severina New Member

..to all of you! Your responses have helped me decide that this isnt for me - Im having such negative responses to treatments that Im feeling disappointed - but I suppose thats just the way it is.
    I dont think I could chance another treatment and have another bad reaction, Im still feeling really rotten and Ive had a rotten head since,which is all I need!! However I will talk to my therapist and see what she says.
    Its interesting to see how many of you had the same reaction, thanks again,x