Needing support

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michell, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Michell

Michell New Member

I just found this messege board and must say it's like a different world compared to the solitude of pain I live in. Don't mean to sound so depressing, but I'm really feeling alone and struggling lately with the pain more than usual.

I have FMS/CFS/Sjogrens/MPS.... I have been diagnosed for years, went through all kinds of treatment, meds, etc. Recently weaned myself off all meds in early summer. The side effects were just too much. I am trying other managemement measures like supplements, massage, etc. I work a hectic physical and emotionally demanding job. Looking to getting transferred to another dept maybe in Jan that won't be so physically demanding but sort of grieving the loss and admittance again of how this is/has stolen so much from me.

I have a family to take care of, oh, and lots of pets which do bring me joy. And I am usually pretty positive and almost sort of try and look the other way to avoid giving into the debilitating effects of these diseases. But lately, I can't look away. The pain and fatigue is screaming at me. I took some meds the other day, a couple times and they really helped. I hate the thought of being a slave to meds. Any support or ideas welcome, and I am glad to have found you all.

Shell
  2. Michell

Michell New Member

I just found this messege board and must say it's like a different world compared to the solitude of pain I live in. Don't mean to sound so depressing, but I'm really feeling alone and struggling lately with the pain more than usual.

I have FMS/CFS/Sjogrens/MPS.... I have been diagnosed for years, went through all kinds of treatment, meds, etc. Recently weaned myself off all meds in early summer. The side effects were just too much. I am trying other managemement measures like supplements, massage, etc. I work a hectic physical and emotionally demanding job. Looking to getting transferred to another dept maybe in Jan that won't be so physically demanding but sort of grieving the loss and admittance again of how this is/has stolen so much from me.

I have a family to take care of, oh, and lots of pets which do bring me joy. And I am usually pretty positive and almost sort of try and look the other way to avoid giving into the debilitating effects of these diseases. But lately, I can't look away. The pain and fatigue is screaming at me. I took some meds the other day, a couple times and they really helped. I hate the thought of being a slave to meds. Any support or ideas welcome, and I am glad to have found you all.

Shell
  3. yellowrose1

yellowrose1 New Member

Before you know it you will meet all kinds of new people here who have compassion for each other on a daily basis and knowledge beyond belief. Keep hanging out with us and before ya know it your frown will turn upside down!!
    But do please remember that no matter how strong we are, sometimes we need the help from medications to carry on minute to minute. No one here will dispute that. Take care of you and let God do the rest.
    Glad you're here, Sonya
  4. SickKitty

SickKitty New Member

Hi Shell,

I hope that you worked with a doctor when weaning yourself off your meds. I know that somedays I want to puke when I think of taking my pills, but I know without them I could not cope. I was diagnosed last week with fibro, but have had chronic health problems since taking herbal suppliments in 1995. I have had CFS since then along with a multitude of other aliments as a result of taking the herbs. My health and life was robbed from me at a young age. Somedays I am really bitter about it all, my life could have been so different. Most days I try to accept my health woes as part of my life, and I try to get on with things. I lecture to a University Pharmacy class every term about my herbal nightmare, and try to educate others.

Having these 'invisible' diseases makes our lives much harder because we have to justify our illness to others. It is a challenge to say the least. We are entitled to have our 'down times', our crying jags, and our anger. Try not to be too hard on yourself. When the pain screams at you, try screaming back (preferably into a pillow, so the neighbours don't think you are nuts).

Like you, my work is very stressful. I have been looking for another job for over a year without any luck. Somedays I wish I could win the lotto so at least the work stress wouldn't be contributing to my flare-ups. I had to go on medical leave for a few weeks earlier this year, and I felt like such a failure. I grieved and felt horrible (still do sometimes). I hope the transfer works out for you, and that just knowing you aren't alone will be helpful. Hopefully you have a supportive family and friends. If all else fails, you have these boards (which I found today!).
    Take care.
  5. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Yes, you've found a great site with tons of info from the libr/e-mail bulletins & from the members themselves. I've learned so much here since being dx'd w/ fms & cfids this summer. I have found hope from those members who have been able to improve the qualities of their lives.

Some of us use medications, some use all naturals, most use a combination. And all of us know that we are to check w/ our drs first before trying some of the ideas we get from here. So far, mine has embraced the ideas I've shared with him. As with all things, but esp. people w/ fms & cfids some things work very well for some, while others have had horrible experiences with them. I've also noticed that since the onset of these DDs, some otc meds I took with no problem before, caused unpleasant side effects.

I've also made some changes in diet, & actually *GASP* bought myself a stationary bike which has helped with the stiffness in my legs. I say gasp b/c I always considered exercise to be a 4-letter word, lol. I had to start extremely slow as I was in so much pain & so out-of-shape to begin with, but have noticed some improvements.

Welcome all, take care,,,Michele
  6. dd

dd New Member

Hi Michelle - Welcome aboard. I am fairly new here myself and have found this board to be a wonderful source of knowledge, compassion and support.

I am like you when it comes to medications. I tried at first to not take any meds and go the natural route. Now I do take a combination of both natural and prescribed meds. I feel I am doing better although some days are harder than others to get thru. If the medication helps you then you should use it. Try not to think of it as being a slave to the meds but rather taking charge of your illnesses.

God Bless.

Debbie
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Welcome, I'm very new here also. This a neat place to be when you are feeling overwhelmed with the pain & frustration, everyone cares. I'm going through a tougher time than usual now, too, I have never taken pain meds or really anything, but now am at a place where I'm considering it. For me, I wasn't trying to be "tough", just have a lot of side effects from the few things I've tried & sometimes those side effects just complicate the problem. But a recent move to a totally different climate has me in more pain & discomfort than ever. For you, it sounds like it's job stresses & commitments, but it also sounds like you have family support, and those pets can be wonderful (don't know what I'd do without my 2 cats)! I am a kind of "glass half empty" person by nature & personality type, it's really tough to change your in-born personality and try and be positive when you're not that kind of person to begin with, AND you battle pain daily! Sounds, tho, like you CAN see the glass half full on better days, and that's half the battle! I sincerely hope you feel better soon, maybe consider that some pain meds increase your quality of life, so it's worth it, rather than considering it "giving in". Best of luck, Shell!

Pam
  8. PMangels

PMangels New Member

Glad you found us. There are a lot of wonderful and knowledgeable people here. They are so caring. So many willing to comfort others in their own pain. This board is a very special place to me.

I worked where it was very phyically demanding too and had to switch positions because my body just couldn't take it any more. I was spending just about as much time in physical therapy as I was working. A new position came open in our office and I took it. It has helped me a lot. It's a little more mental stress but I think I handle it for awhile, although I still am quite tired when I get home.

It's alright to grieve for the person you once were. We
    have all been there. These illnesses have taken a lot from us (some more than others). I use to have so much energy and now I hope I can get through each day.

I do hope that you get to feeling better and can find some relief for your pain. I know a family can be demanding. You hang in there and keep us updated as to how you are doing. God Bless.

gentle hugs,
    Arlene
  9. Michell

Michell New Member

wow. What a nice bunch of people. Thank you so much for your kind words and support. It's really helped me a lot. God bless each of you. I took some medicine today. I just couldn't take it anymore. I took Ultram and Soma which works real nice for me to take off the edge. I also started taking NADH and it's helped my energy a lot so far. I bought some sAME too and read that it should help too. I am grateful to have found you all.

I interviewed for the position (I currently work in the ER 12 hour night shifts-which is very physically and emotionally demanding) in the neonatal ICU (NICU) this morning and got the job : ) I am very excited and will transfer no later than January. I pray I can hang on a couple more months. My body just can't take it anymore. Thanks for your warm wishes. I am trying to "take control" of this illness and am very happy to have found this site.
    shell~