Negativity at ProHealth

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jasminetee, Jul 28, 2009.

1. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I'm getting sick and tired of reading post after post about how negative it is here. When I don't like it somewhere I don't hang out there. Now I understand why everyone is feeling this way and I understand if you still want to stay and make it a positive place but lately I read more posts about how negative it is here than I do where there's actual negativity going on.

The mods do eventually Delete the threads that get too negative and while I know that that also sucks when you've put in your time and energy to post, at least it does clean things up around here. lol

Like Rafiki quoted: "Be the change you want to see"

Oh yeah, also, what some people consider negative, others don't. We're all different, that's reality. From time to time, tempers flare. We're all human and we're humans dealing with extraordinary circumstances.

So let's take a deep collective breath and just be glad ProHealth exists and get on with our conversations and trying to help each other and ourselves.

:) Be Happy**
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Totally agree with you. When it gets down to flaming I have a problem, but if it is just a matter of people debating a point back and forth, I don't consider that to be negative. And, like you say, if there is a thread that you consider to be negative, move on to the next thread. The good thing about this forum is that there is always a good selection of topics to participate in so there is no need to be a part of a conversation that isn't right for you.

Take care.
  3. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I'm so glad you agree. :)

4. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Prohealth has given me a place to go that offers advice, friendship, laughter and yeah, a few tears. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I take the good with the bad. Like teejkay said "were all different", we can't possible agree on everything.

I don't care when others have a different opinion than me, they are often able to shed a new light on things. If a post does get out of hand, my choice is to not visit that thread again. I have a hard time with conflict and choose to avoid it where ever possible.

IMO, the problem is not with Prohealth, they haven't caused the conflict. Prohealth should not be blamed for allowing us to have a voice.

tee and rafi...I'm breathing :)

5. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

Is that there's a lot of people with a lot of different kinds of knowledge on this board! That's for sure!
  6. nink

nink New Member

Right now, I have a very low tolerance for dissension. So, even if a thread is more about disagreement than truly negative interaction, it's not good for me. I just stop following it. I've tried using the "ignore this post" option at the bottom of the page. I'm not sure it's working, but it's easy enough to just pass over.

And if someone disagrees with something I post, almost always, I'll just delete my post. I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to justify, clarify, parse words, much less argue.
  7. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

We are all allowed to express our opinions here and I'm glad. I think it's very important that people should be able to.

[This Message was Edited on 08/10/2009]
  8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Not everyone on this forum has the same illness. Some of us are Lyme with CFIDS, some just have it without Lyme, some have different chronic viral infections and so on. When someone comes on the forum and their first post is how they are "cured", I am very skeptical of their agenda. Especially when they start touting mental health practices as the "cure". It's also a form of trolling filled with arrogance, like "I know it all and you don't". You can't tell people that you've been "cured" when you are speaking to a room full of people who have vastly different illnesses. What works for one person does not work for another and may even be harmful. IMO, people whose first post is like that should be instantly banned. They aren't trying to be helpful as they claim. They have hidden agendas and they enjoy the attention. It's a sick new form of forum troll. They read through our posts and create a backstory, they make it all up. Then they do their long posts just so they can get the hundred "oh how wonderful you're cured, I'm so happy for you" posts. I feel sorry for the people who are so naive. I've been on the net since the 80's. I can spot a troll a mile away. And I'm disgusted that there's a new breed out there that enjoys toying with sick people.

I don't want fights and debates on this forum. I hate it. But I can't stand sitting by and watching a forum troll spout garbage and people just eat it up. And then anyone who questions the troll gets told that they are "not thinking positively enough and want to stay sick". That's not true at all. The real truth is, these trolls have nothing real to offer. They offer false hope and get off on the attention it brings them.

I try to stay out of those threads, but sometimes, I just can't stand seeing all the gullible posters. It gets to where I don't even want to come to the forum anymore. The only "cure" that will come will be from real medical/research channels. When something is released like Ampligen or another immune modulator. It's not going to come from a forum troll who is trying to get a twisted form of attention or from someone trying to push mental health practices or sell something.

If people don't like what someone has to say, use the Ignore button, that's what it's there for. I usually don't like to use it unless it's an extreme case.
  9. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I have posted only once to try to get folks to mellow out. It was on a recent thread that became a bit rough. Sorry if I offended anyone or wasted posting space.

This place is so valuable, so much to learn, great support. We are here because we're hurting, so a little grouchiness is going to hit us all at some point;)

Thanks to all of you for sharing soooo much, I really appreciate every post I read. Keep that info coming!!

xoxo Hermit

10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It's true that a lot of translation is lost through through posting because we are not face to face.

It's funny because I posted once just trying to put a positive spin on a post - or a different point of view I should say. Just a different way of looking at things. It was totally taken wrong.

There was a whole new thread started about having the decency to go back and hear the person out, so I did, then I was accused of going back and hijacking the thread.

That hurt. I have no intentions of hurting anyone, nor have I ever.
    I think different points of view or needed - and I think many of us do try to protect new people from misinformation, those who might be more gullible than others. We're ALL trying to seek help!

You're right let's all take a collective breath and realize that we're all here for support, to offer help, looking for a place to get our feelings out, give support as well.
    We will not all agree on everything - just like we don't with people in 'the flesh', that's what the world is made up of.