NEJM Study Proves Armour Thyroid Better Than Synthroid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, Apr 16, 2009.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

I just typed a HUGE post related to Armour, and potency, and Synthroids' NUMEROUS recalls but it all disappeared into cyberspace. I have LOTS more to say about this topic, but am on my way out the door and will leave you with this.

Patients with hypothyroidism show greater improvements in mood and brain function if they receive treatment Armour thyroid rather than Synthroid (thyroxiine). Hypothyroidism, where the gland has ceased to function or been removed, is usually treated with daily doses of Synthroid. But the researchers found that substituting Armour thyroid led to improvements in mood and in neuropsychological functioning.

Not all tissues that need thyroid hormone are equally able to convert thyroxine to triiodothyronine, the active form of the hormone. But most patients with hypothyroidism (reduced thyroid function) are treated only with thyroxine. On 6 of 17 measures of mood and cognition -- a catchall term that refers to language, learning and memory -- the patients scored better after receiving Armour thyroid than after receiving Synthroid. No score was better after Synthroid than after combination treatment. The authors also detected biochemical evidence that thyroid hormone action was greater after treatment with Armour thyroid. The patients who were on Armour thyroid had significantly higher serum concentrations of sex hormone-binding globulin

Read it for yourself, direct from the NEJM

The New England Journal of Medicine 1999;340:424-429, 469-470
  2. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thanks for sharing that.
  3. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

thank you for clarifying that study. It is too easy for us to extrapolate that "because of this, that is the result" especially when it comes to reading these (intentionally misleading) medical articles.

When a study is done for CFS, my drs tell me "it didn't have at least 500 people in the study, so it is irrelevant"; shouldn't that apply to this study, with only less than 3 dozen people?

Thanks again,
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

You're right. I cannot extrapolate that Armour thyroid is better than synthroid from this study. My bad.

35 patients participated in the study. 2 dropped out. When the 33 who completed the study were asked at the end of the study whether they preferred the first or second treatment, 20 patients preferred thyroxine plus triiodothyronine (T3 and T4), 11 had no preference, and 2 preferred thyroxine (T4) alone.

I think for doctors to continually parrot that Armour is not as effective as Synthroid and that Armour is dangerous, is showing bigotry. Even if a separate T3 and T4 drug combo, such as Synthroid and Cytomel were used, and it seems it was, clearly more patients (in this particular study) stated they felt better on a combo approach to treatment, rather than T4 alone.

Given my personal experience with Synthroid, Cytomel, Naturethroid, Compounded T3, Compounded T4, and Armour I MUCH prefer Naturethroid or Armour. Also, given the history of the significant dangers of synthetic hormones, I am opting to use a natural dessicated thyroid product. If any significant risks were to be found with Armour, I would rethink my position on taking it.

I will try to recall a few synthetic hormone disasters.

Think DES which was taken by women to prevent miscarriage or premature delivery. Children exposed in utero before the 10th week of pregnancy experienced structural deformities and a greater risk of developing vaginal cancer . See Diethylstilbestrol.

Think of Premarin and Prempro (pregnant horse urine). To treat menopausal symptoms. Premarin and Prempro, caused a significant increase in breast cancer, blood clots to the lungs, heart attacks and strokes, even when adding synthetic progestin.

Think insulin, another important hormone, was developed . Pork and beef insulin came to the market and saved the lives of children with juvenile diabetes. The enormous success of insulin opened the door for the development of other animal- based hormones. At the same time horse urine estrogen was being created. Because the use of pork and beef insulin was more widespread than that of horse estrogen, serious side-effects surfaced very rapidly. Rapidly progressive kidney disease and blindness, limited the use of animal derived insulin. That is what motivated the development of human insulin. Once human insulin arrived on the market, we never heard from beef and pork insulin again and the side-effects disappeared.

There may be more, but, this is enough to convince me to Let The Buyer Beware.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You will get just as good results with tossing a coin as with kinesiology.

The concept is so ridiculous it is no wonder a doctor would think that proves nothing.

I would stick with your PCP that you have had for so long, since you trust each other. That does not happen enough.

This is my own personal opinion.

from Pub.Med.

Kenney JJ, Clemens R, Forsythe KD.
    Pritikin Longevity Center, Santa Monica, California.

Applied kinesiology is a technique used to assess nutritional status on the basis of the response of muscles to mechanical stress.

In this study, 11 subjects were evaluated independently by three experienced applied kinesiologists for four nutrients (thiamin, zinc, vitamin A, and ascorbic acid).

The results obtained by those applied kinesiologists were compared with (a) one another, (b) standard laboratory tests for nutrient status, and (c) computerized isometric muscle testing.

Statistical analysis yielded no significant interjudge reliability, no significant correlation between the testers and standard biochemical tests for nutrient status, and no significant correlation between mechanical and manual determinations of relative muscle strength.

In addition, the subjects were exposed in a double-blind fashion to supplements of thiamin, zinc, vitamin A, and ascorbic acid and two placebos (pectin and sucrose) and then re-tested.

According to applied kinesiology theory, "weak" (indicating deficiency) muscles are strengthened when the subject is exposed to an appropriate nutritional supplement. Statistical analysis revealed no significant differences in the response to placebo, nutrients previously determined (by muscle testing) to be deficient, and nutrients previously determined (by muscle testing) to be adequate.

Even though the number of subjects (11) and nutrients (4) tested was limited, the results of this study indicated that the use of applied kinesiology to evaluate nutrient status is no more useful than random guessing.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/17/2009]
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Yes, the Buyer Beware.

By listing a few examples that fit your theory is not scientific. It should be the other way around. You start with a hypothesis first and then prove if it is true or not. You are working backwards.

While I certainly believe that people should form their own opinions, you can not say that armour has been shown scientifically to help people over synthroid.

Just becaise something makes you feel good, if indeed that is what is making you feel good, does not mean that it is good for you. Alcohol can make people feel good but also can be dangerous.

Let The Buyer Beware.

[This Message was Edited on 04/17/2009]
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Hey, Jam, after our recent experiences together, you now you know me better than that. I would never wish anyone to feel bad.

Both of us are people who question things. That does not mean we have to come up with the same conclusions, eh?

Yes, for some medications that are taken and then attributed to our feeling good or bad, it may or may not be from that medication. There may or may not be other variables. Correlation is not causation.

We have to use science for that.

I have no idea if it was the Armour Thyroid made you feel better or not but I am sure glad that you started feeling better so soon, whatever the reason.

I guess my main concern is when people play around with their thyroid medication dosage, not getting the proper testing and self medicating. I am also concerned about people being diagnosed over the phone. A doctor needs to see you to make a valid diagnosis.

I absolutely agree that we sometimes have to evaluate what a normal score means. This is especially important since our symptoms are sometimes attributed to our DD and other diagnosis may be missed. This is why the blood test is important and why your level needs to be monitored.

For instance, is where you are on the "normal" scale changing or has it always been the same. This is why repeated blood tests are needed for treatment, especially with things like Thyroid.

But this is just my opinion, for whatever that is worth, LOL!!

Okay, I think I have done enough rambling here.

BTW, I had to hit submit about six times. I finally copied my response after hitting the submit button the second time.
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

to continue this discussion. However the title is misleading. I think that is not helping the controvery or whatever you call it.