Nerve Conduction Study

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by reeny64tang, Dec 28, 2005.

1. reeny64tang

reeny64tang New Member

Hi -- just wondering if anyone had to have this done? If so - why was it done? What did it involve? How did it turn out for you?

Thanks
    Noreen
  2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I had one done in order to diagnose carpal tunnel syndrome. It involved being hooked up to electrodes and having electricity zapped up the nerves of both arms. Anticipating that it would be an uncomfortable procedure, I opted to take a super-drowsy med (provided via intravenous by the hospital) and that way it was a breeze. God bless, Anne Theresa
  3. reeny64tang

reeny64tang New Member

My rheumy told me I had to have it done because I have had several tests come back with high muscle enzymes. They told me I would have two Nerve conduction Studies done. They have not called me back to set them up yet. Thanks very much for your reply.
    Noreen
  4. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

It's not that bad really. I had one done on both feet and legs and another one on my shoulder and arm. I would suggest taking a muscle relaxant before you go to help you relax.

Laura
  5. goldenrod

goldenrod New Member

it is a test often used to help diagnose m.s or nerve damage. I had it done when they were trying to figure out if I had m.s or ALS. they send shocks through you and measure the time it takes to get to where the other marker is, I did not find it hurt one bit.
    take care
    Mark
  6. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

I had them done, too, because I have lots of nerve symptoms in my hands and arms that mimic carpal and cubital tunnel syndromes.

The shock sensations were a little painful at the higher levels -- the needle part didn't bother me much at all. Overall, a bit uncomfortable, but not that bad at all.

We discovered that I do *not* have carpal or cubital tunnel -- all results were normal. That was actually good, because it eliminated one long-standing mis-diagnosis. Still no news as to the root of the problems, though.
  7. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I have had several of these done and the ones for Carpal Tunnel hurt like...well you know. I agree with the person who said to take a muscle relaxer first. The first one I had done was on my left shoulder/arm and it only was uncomfortable.

But the ones I have had to diagnose Carpal really hurt...not sure if that was because having the Carpal makes your wrists hurt and anything extra is that much more. Or it might be the spot they are doing inserting the needles...wrists do not have a lot of fat to absorb some of the pain.

I don't mean to scare you because it might not be painful for you, but if you prepare your self for a lot of pain and it doesn't hurt you, it will be a big relief. Good luck, Nancy
  8. reeny64tang

reeny64tang New Member

Thank you all so much for sharing your info with me. I have been nervous not knowing exactly what it was. I feel better now. I believe they are testing me for muscle disease as I have lots of muscle weakness and pain. This board is great - being able to talk to people that have gone thru what I have to go thru - and people sharing and caring.
    Thank you all.
    Noreen
  9. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

done a few years ago. It was not bad at all. They would just apply electrical current to each nerve to see how far the damage was.

Some nerves I could feel all the way to the toes and some I couldn't. At most it is just mildly uncomfortable.

Kelly
  10. Empower

Empower New Member

I had one done

I think it was to check for MS

It really wasn't that bad, just a little uncomfortable, that is all.

I've had worse pain at the dentist or OBGYN
  11. ive had fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome for well over 11 years.im 2000 i had what i thought was a very bad migraine attack.when i woke up i had lost my sight and had severe pain behind my eyes.the sight didnt return for 3 days.i could see a dark shape of my husbands body against a greyish background,this would be the day light at the back of my husband.to this day i still get the severe eye pain and loss of sight,but now i dont panic about it like i used to do.
    my optician said he thinks the muscles behind my eyes swell up due to the fibro,and that the muscles are trapping my optic nerves.
    this year i got so fed up as regards being treated as JUST ANOTHER FIBROMYALGIA SUFFERER,that i insisted on seeing a neurologist and i begged him, to try and find out why i go blind.he sent me to have a test done,this test was called a visual evoked potentials test.i had little sensor things applied to my scalp.and in a darkened room i had to watch a small tv screen that displayed a picture of black and white squares with a red dot in the middle.i had to look at this screen using one eye for about 10 mins,then the same with the other eye.this test then monitored the brain activity.that was it,test over.
    i waited a month to get my results back (im in the uk,we have to get used to waiting over here)
    anyway the good news is my results said...
    i am pleased to say that your electric response from your eyes (visual evoked potentials) were normal.this means the nerves of the eyes and brain are working normally.
    thats fantastic news isnt it,but sadly i still do get the blindness,and now im not getting any further in finding out why it happens.
    i told my optician about the hospital test results,and he just said,well like i told you in 2000,your fibro flares up,the muscles swell up behind your eyes,and trap the optic nerves,so you go blind.try to learn to live with it until a cure becomes available,so im back to square one.but most grateful for the hospital test results,its put my mind at ease alot i can tell you.and how do i deal with the blindness? i have family who are able to help me with daily tasks,but goodness knows how people who live alone cope with the blindness,id say make sure you have plenty of food in the house,and dont attempt to go out doors until the vision returns,mine usually returns after 3 days.

take care all ,,, fran
    [This Message was Edited on 12/29/2005]
  12. cred

cred New Member

Hi,I had this done on both legs to test and recieved diagnosis of nueropathy, nerve loss, in both legs and feet. I cried. It was equal to child birth w/o pain meds! I was told not to take any muscle relaxer or anti inflamatory meds as it would interfere with test results. Check before you take meds, I would hate to have to do it again because of meds!
  13. reeny64tang

reeny64tang New Member

Thank you all so much for answering. cred - thanks for the info about not taking meds before. I would definitely not want to have it done twice. cred - can I ask what your pain/symptoms were?
    Thanks,
    Noreen
  14. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I needed a nerve condution study on my right arm. I had elbow surgery done in Feb. I have nerve damage in my Ulnar nerve due to a work injury.

I will say it was uncomfortable! Just take a muscle relaxer before you go. I put it off for a long time because my physical therapist told me it would be painful.

They basically inserted small (tiny) needles in different muscle areas in my arm. Then they ran electric shock to see how the nerve reacted.

Don't worry to much about it cause its over pretty quick.
    Mine shown lots of carpal tunnel in my wrist and palm area and picked up nerve damage in my ulnar nerve.

Angela