Nerve End Damage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosiebud, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

My doctor told me the pain in my feet could be caused by nerve end damgage or B12 deficiency.

I am not diabetic, I dont drink alcohol. I've looked up online to see if I could connect this to CFS or Fibro but havent found anything.

Does anyone know if this is common to CFS and/or Fibro.

Thanks so much.

love
    Rosie
  2. LakeErie

LakeErie New Member

I have Fibro & have trouble with both feet and my upper left leg. I take Neurontin for it. I get some relief, but it always comes back & the Neurontin gets upped in dosage. I'm now on the max of Neurontin of 2,400Mg. I don't know what's next.
    Good Luck!
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

I have been looking into nerve pain treatment recently, but not for the same reason as you. My feet do hurt ... burn and tingle/nerve pain ... like so many of us have to deal with, but I have larger problems with my lower back and sciatic nerve pain.

I really don't want to start any of the rx'es (ie neurotin,etc) that are perscribed for nerve pain. I don't want to take any medication that has to build on itself and I don't want anything that is going to dull my senses. ( Anymore then fibro does already, LOL ).

Like you, I am not diabetic, nor do I drink alcohol. I do think that it's possible that over time (for whatever reason) our fibro pain has been inadequately treated, causing the nerve damage in the extremeties that we often deal with.

My sciatic pain is unrelated to fibro, but I do think fibro makes it worse. 35 years of showing horses and three memorable falls lead to that damage.

For the moment, I take rx'es to control any inflammation that might press on that nerve. I would be interested in what you might come up with to treat your nerve pain.

I was wondering about nerve blocks. I have not researched it much yet. Do you have an opinion on this treatment? I'm not sure how it might helped with our nerve damaged feet. But it might help in some areas.

Good luck to you on this. As far as my feet go, I finally found a style of shoe that really cuts back on the pain. They are costly, but worth saving up for. They are the Puma shoes that are so popular fashion wise these days.

I have worn they for a while ... there are several styles that help. I also have memory foam inserts that help.

I constantly rub a high end lotion on them to try and keep them supple and use atheletic socks with a thick cotton sole on them. (Since my shoes are "athletic" shoes, I can get away with these socks, LOL.)

Well, that's all my secrets for trying to help my feet. Please keep me posted on what you find concerning nerve pain ... or share with me what you might already know. My quality of life would improve if I could get a handle on this lower back sciatic thing.

Take care,

Elsa
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

... I had the burning soles thing happen when we moved to Holland in '95 .. I just didn't pay attention ... but now it is with a lot of tingling too these past years .. after reading so many posts about it I guess I better discuss it with my GP .. I'm not a diabetic or drinker either .. you would think being 'good" might earn us some brownie points or slack ? haha ... I guess NOT !
    Good luck rosiebud ... maybe it is just a B12 problem ?
  5. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum writes about B-12 in his book, Fatigued to Fantastic. A lot of people with FM/CFS have B-12 deficiency. Sometimes it will show up on your blood tests. Other times, it will be fine, but the problem is that in FM/CFS, it sometimes does not cross the blood-brain barrier. Thus, you could have okay levels of B-12 in your blood and still be deficient.

Many FM/CFS people get B-12 injections, and most feel a significant boost of energy and lessening of pain from the shots. (I myself was the exception and actually felt worse from the shots, so I'm not doing them.) Maybe you could check into getting B-12 shots.

Another possible thing to look into is Oxytocin injections. Oxytocin is a hormone, and in FM/CFS, it is used to elevate body temperature slightly (many FM/CFS patients have low body temperature), relax the muscles, and ease the pain. The effects are subtle but beneficial. I have these shots about 1x/week, and they have made a significant impact.

My feet still hurt but not nearly as much as before. I rarely have the nerve pain and tingling like before.

Hope this is helpful.
  6. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

My neuropathy symptoms started in 1998 along with the pain in my shoulders/back/hips. I was poked, x-rayed, zapped, and I don't remember what else. The Docs wanted all my symptoms to fit into one nice diagnosis.
    Well...finally in early 2001 [after a nerve biopsy in 2000 that just found that the neuropathy in my feet was caused by an inflammatory process - NOT low B-12 or excess alcohol] I was diagnosed with FMS [which caused the other pain] and Autoimmune Vasculitis, which is the cause of the neuropathy. I don't really have any other symptoms from the AV but it could have progressed had it not been caught. I was put on high doses of Prednisone and an immunosuppressant and it's pretty much in control. I'm off the steroid and almost off the other.
    Just to say that neurpoathy can result from any number of other systemic conditions, so it doesn't hurt to get it checked out.

Char
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I have already spoke to my doctor about B12 injections and he wants to read some literature on it first. I'm in Scotland, UK, nothing moves fast.

Had a blood test for B12 and have to wait for results, 2 -3 weeks but he seemed open to giving me the injections if satisfied with literature. I have some good stuff to give him.

I'm glad that this can be improved, it freaked me out being told it could be nerve end damage, I didnt even ask him what that meant I was so shocked.

Thanks again

love
    Rosie