Nerve pain or Muscle pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dragonturtle, Dec 17, 2008.

1. dragonturtle

dragonturtle New Member

I have been dx'd with Fm only. My question is this: Is FM nerve pain or muscle pain?
    I feel like it is muscle pain. My muscles sometimes are even inflamed.
    My hubby claims that the Dr said it was nerve pain.
    Sometimes it feels like it is blood vein pain (like tonight).
    Can you help me out with this? Any input would be great. Thanks.
  2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Mine is both. I take pain meds for the muscles and Neurotin for the nerve pain.
  3. wendysj

wendysj New Member

I think if you asked 10 doctors, the results would be 5 muscle/5 nerve. I think if anyone knew the answer to this question, we'd be a lot closer to a proven treatment plan.

My muscles hurt like crazy today. I also have the "vain pain" that you mentioned. I noticed this before and ask my vascular surgeon what that's about and he said he didn't know. My veins get super swollen and hurt. It's crazy, I didn't think others had this.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

4. mom2many

mom2many New Member

Same asmsbsgblue, I take Oxycodone for the muscles and Neurotin for the nerve pain.

5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi there
    It can actually be both. I have severe muscle pain. I've also had "nerve" sensitivity where it feels like my skin has been burned terribly. Many of us also experience numbness, tingling, zapping feelings etc.
    Our pain receptors are "off", so you can definitely experience different kinds of pain.

Muscle pain is a biggie.
  6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have both nerve pain and muscle pain and I have FM, same thing for my Mom.
  7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have both too. My PCP says he thinks FM pain is neuropathy (nerve pain) but I know it's in the muscles too. I have many places that feels like bruises. I have mostly muscle pain but I have one place on my leg that is numb but itches and burns too. My husband used to say, "how can it itch and burn if it is numb" but now he has a place on his leg like that too!
  8. ravenelleb

ravenelleb New Member

I too have been recently dx'd with FM. I think the nerve pain makes the muscles hurt even more. I also ave intense burning in my lower back and hands. The cold weather seems to be making things worse. Make sure you bundle up well when you go out if you live in a cold area. Good luck with adjusting and make sure you take care of yourself.. don't tire yourself out with the holidays..