Nerve Pain??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by faithinlove, Jan 1, 2010.

1. faithinlove

faithinlove New Member

I know I have not been on in a while. I am so so sick. Now they are saying I have nerve damage in my legs and feet. The pain is almost unbearable. Has anyone had this problem with CFS or FMS? It is progressing in severity. Is this a progressive DD? My legs and feet feel like they are on fire and something is stinging them plus electric shocks going down legs. Please let me know if anybody has this. Hurting so bad..Faith
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

Yes, nerve pain is common.

Remember that you must find the cause of your FMS or CFS to be able to treat it and have the hope of recovery.

FMS and CFS are symptoms.....symptoms of a larger picture.

Many, many people who were originally diagnosed with CFS or FMS later found out that the bacteria Borrelia burgdorferi (lyme) and common associated coinfections like babesia, bartonella and ehrlichia is responsible for the pain, fatigue, insomnia, cognitive problems, etc.

Lyme infects the neurologic system and can affect all tissues, organs and body systems.

Do not think of it as a separate diagnosis that does not possibly relate to you.

Think of it as a complex bacteria that can absolutely cause illness/symptoms that are commonly diagnosed as CFS and FMS.

Here is some very good info...

symptom list pages 9-11, coinfection info and symptoms pages 22-27...

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Hope you find the help you need.
  3. KerryK

KerryK Member

I have long suffered that sort of symptom. Nerve pain is a common feature of FM. My own view is that FM, whether of autoimmune or infectious or other etiology, is basically a neurological condition.
  4. Sask0

Sask0 New Member

Hi faithinlove
    My nerve pain started with sharp shooting pain in legs and thighs.The kind that surprises you.
    If I was at home I would just yell out loud. The Dr. gave me Cymbalta and it really helped. I haven't had to take it for about 6 months ....it went away but now I feel it might be coming back.At least now I know what to do. Don't if that helps your kind of pain but thought I would
    mention it.
  5. Sask0

Sask0 New Member

Hi faithinlove
    My nerve pain started with sharp shooting pain in legs and thighs.The kind that surprises you.
    If I was at home I would just yell out loud. The Dr. gave me Cymbalta and it really helped. I haven't had to take it for about 6 months ....it went away but now I feel it might be coming back.At least now I know what to do. Don't if that helps your kind of pain but thought I would
    mention it.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I have had diabetic neuropathy, or nerve pain, in my legs and feet for many years. It is very painful and being on my feet for a long time is really bad news for me. My feet burn and feel like I can't put my foot down one more step.

I take Neurotin for the nerve pain as well as Cymbalta which is also approved for diabetic neuropathy as well as helps fibro pain.

The pinched nerve I have in my back doesn't help matters as it causes numbing pain down my leg, too.

I am so sorry that you experience the same thing. It's not pleasant.
  7. LuvQuilting

LuvQuilting New Member

Are you sure you don't have peripheral neuropathy? I would see a neurologist to check this out. I have both PN and FM and sometimes I think they're related. My PN is not due to diabetes which is the main cause. Mine is idiopathic which means they don't know. And it's very painful! I also take Neurontin. 2400mg in 3 doses a day.
  8. 3gs

3gs New Member

This has progressively gotten worse for me. Right now I have a slipped disc that injections have not helped.
    I really feel like its the nerve pain,more than the disc. They want to do surgery,I'm not so sure.

I get the electric shocks also and a weird new symptom started yesterday. Its like a vibrating in my lower leg. Actually thought I was touching something that was shaking!

sorry you are suffering from this. Its no fun.
  9. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Faith,
    My pain Dr. just started me on Lamictal for the nerve pain caused by a botched Spinal cord stimulation trial. They hit my siatica on the left side and my whole lower left back/buttock hasn't been the same since. I have been on the Lamictal now for one week, just bumping up to the 50 mg level, 25mg-am, 25mg-pm. I'll keep you posted on how this goes.
    Originally Lamictal was for bi-polar and seizures, but now they are saying it works on the nerotransmitters that control the nerve pain. We shall see, they say it has one of the lowest side effects of most medicines as long as you build the dosage slow and don't break out into a rash.
    Keep ya posted,
    nah.stacey
  10. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

I can't and won't take prescription drugs so I take Lipoic Acid and Benfotiamine-V for the neuropathy. they take about 2-3 weeks to start working but they work!!! I don't have that horrible burning jabbing pain any more. I get them on line and they are not expensive .
    Sarah
  11. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

MissAutumn,
    Wish I could say the same, but my body has been broken too many times, inside and out.
    More power too you. Rx's are not for everyone, wish they weren't for me.
    Best of Luck,
    nah.stacey
  12. dkettle

dkettle New Member

I feel your pain..or should I say your nerve pain... I too have nerve pain in my legs...I get pain like clock work..every 4 hours..I could tell the time by my pain. I take Lyrica, which my doctor keeps increasing. And I take Vicoprofin...its vicodin with ibeprofin in it. As well as elavil at night. And guess what.. I still suffer...some days are better than others..but sometimes that nerve pain hits my face and skull area, and thats it, I am out of commisson for a couple of days. It angers me to take all these meds and still have flare ups. What are you taking for the pain ? Please tell you have something,,,because , I know that leg pain and I wouldnt wish it on anyone. I described it to my doctor as,,,a throbbing toothache,,but it my legs. Have you gotten your spine checked as well... I have spinalstenosis..as along of fibro paitients do. The pain has recently attacked my arms and hands, also. I went to clap my hands at my sons football game the other day...and I wanted to scream ! The pain was intense... stinging, burning and very,very sore. What the hell ! I have been on all these meds for years....and all i can do is be greatful for the good days... I just wanted to let you know... yes, I understand...

dkettle