Nervous about starting Trazodone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KimDC, Dec 7, 2005.

1. KimDC

KimDC New Member

Yesterday I saw a new primary and she wants me to switch from Ambien to Trazodone. She said that Ambien doesn't promote the deep sleep that I need; that it only puts me to sleep quickly. I'm nervous about switching. I hate starting new meds because I almost always have a bad reaction (usually vomiting & diarrhea). I know that lots of you have taken, or are taking, Trazodone. I'd really appreciate some feedback on your experiences.
  2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I'm usually sensitive to meds but my experience with trazadone has been very positive. It relaxes my muscles & helps me sleep without causing a hangover the next day.

I've used it for several years, with no problems whatsoever. I hope it's helpful for you.

God bless,

Anne Theresa
  3. TheAurynn

TheAurynn New Member

hi Kim,

I used to take trazodone (I can't remember the strength right now, maybe 30 mg? - fibrofog!). I did not have any side effects from it that I can remember, but then again I am not super sensitive to most meds. It certainly did help with my sleep.

Hope this helps some.

Take care,

Jessica
  4. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

I was on Trazadone for 3 years. I really liked the way it worked. It was VERY good for sleep and I didn't have a hung over feeling in the morning.

It is also cheaper than Ambien. I hope you do well on it.
  5. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

Hi Kim, my son who is 7 started taking Trazadone back in June. He has ADD & has alot of trouble getting to sleep. He would stay up until 3-4am, I was so frustrated, the poor kid can't help it & I tried everything from warm milk & a few crackers, to nighttime cold medicine which had the opposite effect on him! The doc gave him Trazadone & he is sleeping wonderful now! I have not seen any side effects at all & no morning hangovers or drowsiness!! Trazadone has been like a miracle for us.He is doing great in school now & can actually get up to go. He missed alot of school before the Trazadone because he was so tired he couldn't get up in the morning to go, I held him back in kindergarten because of this, he is now in 1st grade & will make it to 2nd next school year!! I hope you have good luck with this medication & it will work for you as well as it has for my son. JoLinda
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Trazadone gives me good quality sleep.The only thingt hat does.I take ambien very occasionally for when the pain is bad enough that Iknow I can't sleep through it.
  7. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Trazadone is an old anti-depressant. IT wasn't such a good anti-depressant but for sleep, it works well.

I have become so sleep deprived it was awful, even with Klonapin.

Went on the Trazadone and I really do believe I have been getting into some restorative sleep. The key is that I have been dreaming.
  8. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I am glad that you posted this question...

I have a script for it sitting at the pharmacy I am going to go get it and try it now that I have read what everyone is saying.

I too am really scared to try anything new because of the reaction I have. I have to take half of even the lowest dose and still have weird things happen.

I would love to know if it works for you.

SherylD
  9. Charleen

Charleen New Member

I have been on Trazodone for years. I have major problems with meds. I am allergic or sensitive to so much my poor chart is loaded with red stickers.
    I take two 100 mg of Trazodone at night and most night I get great sleep. I don't think it has help with the pain but it does help with sleep! Hope this helps
    Here's to a good night's sleep
  10. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I take 150mg before bedtime, really helps, no side effects for me
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I do just fine with Ambien. If it is working for you why change? I guess the question is, how do you feel about Ambien?
  12. Connie3

Connie3 New Member

I've been taking trazodone for almost 17 years and it works so well. I take 50 mg. and one .5 xanax and sleep like a baby most nights. It seems to be the safest medicine I've ever taken.
  13. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

Hi..I take 100mg at night...at first I felt very groggy in the mornings, but it passed after awhile. Now I never wake up during the nights, and sleep like a baby. I swear by it, but then again we are all different. Works great for me...I needed to sleep so bad, I used to wake up all the time. I still get tired during the day, but I suffer from chronic fatigue as well as fibro so I still have other problems.......good luck sharon5650
  14. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

I have been taking 100mg at night for over a year and have had good results and no side effects. It seems very mild to me as I have alot of drug allergies.
  15. KimDC

KimDC New Member

I feel much less anxious about trying Trazodone. Thanks!