Nervous about trying apple cider vinegar...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IEMom, Aug 28, 2006.

1. IEMom

IEMom New Member

I want to try apple cider vinegar. But, it sounds too good to be true. Has anyone had any bad side affects? Does it really work? Is it okay to use when I'm also taking lots of other supplements?
  2. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

The only thing I saw about it was that it was supposed to be good for heartburn, I took it once...eyouch hard to swallow by itself!

Blessings!
    Kelly
  3. dannybex

dannybex Member

It's my understanding that apple cider vinegar is good for many issues, because it acidifies the gut/intestinal tract, which is good, because candida and bad bacteria thrive in an alkaline gut.

At the same time, it doesn't cause the body to become acidic -- it's loaded with potassium, malic acid, and other minerals, so it actually helps balance one's ph.

I would suggest starting slowly -- a teaspoon in a glass of water, maybe a couple times a day, for a few days, then go from there. Some people add a teaspoon of raw organic honey.

I might try it again too -- last time I used it it helped my digestion (stools floated for the first time in years), and also helped my muscle spasms as well.

Just my two cents,

Dan
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Maybe it was the brand or something but ACV gave me a huge flare. Proceed with caution until you know you can take it.

Marta
  5. hoodnanny

hoodnanny New Member

for me i take it with apple juice and it taste just like apple cider....i take it and with no problems.. it is really made from the apple.
    shirley
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I think it really does all the good things people say it does, but it also can cause a detox reaction. I tried taking it a few years ago and started with a couple of tablespoons a day, which was a big mistake. I think it helps clean out your body and I was detoxing too much all at once and got very tired and sick.

I'm going to start again, with one teaspoon a day and see how I do, and gradually work my way up.

Mary
  7. IEMom

IEMom New Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will start with a teaspoon in apple juice.

Do you think a person could be doing too much in terms of supplements.

If I'm taking cal/ma/zinc, vitamin C, an occasional multi-vitamin, barley green, some ginseng...and then add the acv...is that just too much stuff???
  8. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

i started it about two months ago. I started with one teaspoon in an 8oz glass of apple juice once a day. Then i went up to twice a day. then i went to two teaspoons twice a day. It has made my nails grow and not be as brittle and they look shiny. it has made my hair softer and fuller and healthier looking. It has aided in trimming off a little fat around the edges, i went down a pants size. It also has helped even out my thyroid, which i'm now taking a lower dose of synthroid.

Its may not be right for everyone but its working for me. I would try it with caution to make sure there is no reaction.

Angell
  9. Kkatie

Kkatie New Member

I started about three weeks ago, taking one Tablespoon in a few ounces of apple juice. I'm up to 1.5 T twice a day now (too much trouble to take at work). I feel much better; I have more energy, and I don't hurt as much. It's hard to believe something so simple could make such a difference, but that's the only new thing I've been doing, and I really feel like it's a minor miracle. And even though I drink it quickly, I do brush my teeth afterwards.

edit: I should add that I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. It's been steadily getting worse until I started the ACV. [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2006]