Nervous I am going to see a new doctor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Mar 8, 2007.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

AS I sit here I get more ane more nervous. I have made the desision to see a new doctor for my pain. My hubbys insurance has a really high deductable for a non provider which my pain doctor is. IF I stay with him dispite the legal probems he now has.

The insurnace would not pay any thing to him for my visits. This deductable is $1500.00 a year. So No matter if I were charged $100 a visit it would never meet that high deducatable.
    So I have found a rhumey.
    HE treats chronic pain with pain meds. I have met him once when I went with my mom. HE is so young but seems to be really nice and a good doctor.

I guess that it is not seeing the doctor but having to go thru all the paper work and the reasons for the pain I have. I hate going through all that.

I got the paperwork to fill out and it wants to know when was I first dianosed? I don't know what to say. I have had bad leg aches since childhood and in my early 30's and 40's I had 3 scopes on my right knee. I was dxed with bad knee's in my teens but that does not say when did all the pain start. I had female problems from day 1 till I had my huseterectomy in 1990.

I am scared that he is going to want to change the meds I am on now as I have been on them for a couple of years. I don't know if I will have to see him once a month like I do with the old doctor or will he want to prescribe my pain meds for 90 days?

I am so scared about this visit. I have never liked having some one poke and stab me to find just where I am hurting. I panic and my bp goes up and I don't want to have him give me that look that I have gotten for so many other doctors.
    When I write or tell him what meds I am on I am worried that he is going to say you take HOW MUCH? Is he going to look at me like the ER doctors do like I am here becuase I am a drug seeker?

I don't know what he is going to do. WIll I have to have blood work and x-rays or MRI's that I really can't afford to have done right now.

Ok I know that I am 51 yet I am just as scared as if I were a child. I have not liked to repeat all the problems I have. To sit and write all the conditions that I have been dx'ed with scares me. I don't know why it does but it does. I know I am acting like a baby about this. This will be the 3rd doctor I haev seen for my pain.

I started out with a anesthiesiologist {SP} who had a clinic once a week and you saw him for the first visit and then it was only if your meds didn't work or the pain was worse. I was used to picking up my scripts and signing forthem and the receptionist would hand me a envelope containing my scripts. I went in because I was hurting from a fall and was told that in less than 30 days he was stopping having the clinic no real reason was ever given , we were handed out a list of doctors who were willing to treat pain. And that was the last time I saw him.

Then I found my pain doctor who was really good at this. And then came all of the legal problems and he will not be able to practice for very long. But I had already started top change to the new rheumy because of the insuracne.

I don't want this to look like I am doctor shopping as I have been with the current doctor for 4 years and the other for 2 years.

I know that this sounds silly but I am scared about this visit and not knowing how he will treat me and wondering if he sees patients who are on pain meds every month or not.
    So many questions I have and the closer this gets the more worried I get and nervous I feel.
    I am just plain scared about this.

NExt I want to say how sorry I am for being so upset and ranting to you about my pain doctor's trial. I will not mention it agian.
    I am sorry if the moderators found it to be to graphic for that I am so sorry . I was upset and I knew better than to write aobut it .So please accept my apoology for the posts .
    They were not approiate for this forum I am sorry for being so out of line. can you please forgive me for making that mistake? I am so so sorry.

Thanks for listening to me whine about this new doctor I will be seeing.
    HUGS,
    Rosemarie
  2. myjoy

myjoy New Member

Sometimes we just have too much time on our hands to think, and get scared.

You sound just like I did before my hysterectomy. It's so easy to worry about the unknown.

It sounds like this doctor is used to treating people in pain. He's probably used to hearing stories like yours everyday.

By the way...I worked in an ER, on nights, as a receptionist for 7yrs. Trust me...we could tell the drug-seekers from the folks who were really suffering with chronic pain, and other ailments. We tried not to make judgements too quickly.

Just tell him your story, and tell him how you feel. I hope it goes well for you.

myjoy
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Rosemarie:

I do hope you get the very best of medical care.

nyrofan