Nervous stomach, is it because hubby is off of work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellygirl, Jan 3, 2012.

1. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I am having tension in my gut and I wonder if it is because hubby is at home right now? He had surgery and will be going back to work in two weeks. He is not the nicest person, loud voice, negative and I have to use the phone away from him or he is butting into conversations.

The only hobby he has is watching sports on tv. He is always around!

I wake up and it's one negative comment after another from criticizing people in the newspaper, on tv, people we know. Of course, outside the house, he's as charming as can be.

To control me, he has a loud voice and things he says to me I would never say to someone. He'll say he's kidding, or that he told me that three times already, etc.

So, I think it is the energy I am absorbing. I am taking probiotics, they aren't really doing a whole lot right now.

I also know that sometimes the IBS will act up but I have not had it this bad in a very long time.

I do take a gentle yoga class and am active in the community, but it is Winter where I am in the house more with this guy.

Is this what retirement is like?????

2. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Thinking of you---I know this situation can be hard on a person. Can he be left alone? If so, can you make more free time for yourself--meet up with friends you haven't seen for awhile. Go to the library, go feed the ducks? Take the dog for walks? Maybe he has some friends he hasn't seen for awhile............

Good luck.
  3. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Thanks for your reply, that's the issue, he has no friends. Just work.

I babysit my 2 year old grandson each day, I drive and pick him up and we do things here or planned activities. But, I still have to wake up and he's here. I feel I can't move without being monitored.

I didn't tell you I live in a mobile home in a retirement community, I am 58.

That's one thing he likes to do, he walks the dog twice a day, I wish the walks were longer.

I know it will be easier when the weather warms up and he's back to work again. In the meantime, I carry this knot in my gut.

I know IBS usually comes with Fibromyalgia. Like my doctor always says, "It's all related"....but thanks for the suggestions.
  4. rkidd3423

rkidd3423 New Member

I understand how you feel. My boyfriend is very loud and downright cruel at times. When we are out in public he is Mr. Wonderful. When he spends time at home (he's a painter and doesn't always have work), I like to go upstairs and shut the bedroom door and read a book or take a hot bath. Anything I can do to get away and get some peace and quiet. I light candles and turn on the radio and sit in a bubble bath quite often!

I hope things get better because I know how much someone you love can still stress you out!

5. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

How does everyone cope when the stress of life goes directly to the stomach?
  6. rkidd3423

rkidd3423 New Member

Honestly, I'm not a good one to ask about this. I just try to clear my head and think happy thoughts. That's all you can do!

7. ikathy

ikathy New Member

I have a husband like yours - he can be tough, loud and obnoxious at time. He has a stressful job and brings it home at times.

I have learned over the years to not let him get to me. If he wants to wallow in his negativity, let him. So they don't mellow with age?

Just do the best you can. Get as much enjoyment our of your day and don't let him sour your day and encourage him to keep working a good long time.