nervous to start hydrocortisol tomorrow- any advice?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bigmama2, Jun 7, 2006.

1. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

Hello everybody,

Tomorrow I start taking 10mg of hydrocortisol SR(or hydrocortisone SR) as perscribed bt my FFC Dr. to treat mildly low cortisol levels/ adrenal fatique.

I'm kinda nervous because I am very sensitive to new meds. It's from a compounded pharmacy, and it supposed to be bio-identical.

Any experience with this, good or bad, or advice?

Thanks,
    BigMama2

[This Message was Edited on 06/07/2006]
  2. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Years ago I was on fairly high doses of it, and did great. Then I began having stomach reactions to it (revved me up too much),and increased my insomnia. So I just lowered my dose.

About 7 years ago, I would just open the cap, and take a small bit of the gel & rub it on my wrist. That worked, but now I rarely take it, as with Lupus I overreact.

But in hindsite it was a good tool. I now always cut my dose down as low as possible to "test" my reaction. I call it my homeopathic or pediatric dosing.

Good prevention to reactions.

LIGHT************carole
  3. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, BigMama2!

I would suggest chopping up one of your pills into little pieces and starting out with one tiny piece.

If all goes well and you don't get any bad reactions, try a bigger piece the next day. Work your way up gradually to the dose that is right for you.

When docs prescribe hormones they are really just guessing at the dosage. Everyone is different in how sensitive they are to hormones. So help your doc figure out what dose is right for YOU.

Also, it's much easier on your body to make any changes in hormones very very gradually. You don't want to shock your body by suddenly taking a lot of new hormone.

I hope that helps!

I take less than 1 mg of hydrocortisol because I am very sensitive to hormones. Mine is bioidentical, from a compounding pharmacy also.

We only need a tiny bit of it to make us feel better. Hormones are so powerful. Too much or too little is bad, but the right amount is very good. It's like the story of Goldilocks. It has to be just right.

Love,
    Forebearance
  4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I forgot to say:

watch for:
    insomnia
    feeling mean
    acne
    new facial hair

Those are all signs that you're overdosing on cortisol. :)
  5. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

That's a great idea to make to dose smaller, at least to start. It's in capsules. I want to see if I can order empty capsules. (I'll do a separate post about that.)

Thanks for telling me some stuff to watch out for as far as taking too much cortisol.

Once I see how I do I'll let yall know!!
  6. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I hope that this really works for you. I am trying to tolerate this med. for my low adrenal level. Unfortunately, I am having problems and have had to keep cutting back the dosage level. I started on 2mg a day, dissolved in water and drunk over the course of the day.

However, I had the usual side effects and have had to keep increasingly cut back. I am now on 1/2 mg daily and just waiting to see if side effects kick in. I know one lady who virtually just had to wipe her finger over the tablet and then splash it in water and drink that. It took her 18 months, but now she is on over 25 mgs a day and says that she is getting her life back.

So take it slowly and, if necessary, be prepared to cut back the dosage to suit yourself. Listen to your body re. side effects. In my experience, if you do get side effects they don't go away - they only get worse - unless you reduce the dosage.
  7. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

Wow, interesting story! Did you have blood tests for adrenal function (cortisol)? I did, and mine are only a little low.

I understand that if someone tests really low they should probably be on replacements, but I'm just not sure about me. Well, I'll just try it. But to have anything that makes my insomnia worse is the LAST thing i want!!
  8. elliespad

elliespad Member

I've been on Cortisol 15 mg from Compounding Pharmacist ordered by FFC, for about 5 months. Never noticed any effects one way or the other. I often wonder if I need more.
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

And certainly not the best one in my books.

My cortisol has been very low, but I only tried a few Cortef, had a bad reaction, steroids can also cause yeast infecttions, or just increased infections, period.

I take natural glandulars, in combo products. Taking a fake cortisol is only a tiny piece of the problem, and often causes more. Your adrenals produce much more than cortisol and glandulars treat the whole gland. I've had excellent results.

Jeanne
  10. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Hi, I have been taking 10mg. Cortisol from the compounding Pharmacy since Nov. 05. I am sensitive also, so I poured a little out and gradually built up to 5mg. and then 10mg.
    Now, I don't notice any side effects at all and I am sleeping ok with it also. I hope you will give it a try, it really helped with my mood and some of my fibro pain.

Laura
  11. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi!

I'm not sure what the difference is between hydrocortisol and hydrocortisone, but the stuff I take is called hydrocortisone and I've been told by reputable sources that it is identical to what the human body makes.

Mine comes in capsules, too, BigMama2. I open up the capsules. The nice thing about hormones is that they taste good. They taste sweet. So it's no biggie to open the capsules.

If you want to know this, I get 1/100 mg capsules and open them up and take a tiny speck of the powder inside. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's so sensitive to cortisol.

You would think that maybe I wouldn't need any, but without it I feel like I'm half dead. It really has an effect on my energy levels.

As typical CFS patients, we only need a tiny bit. Just like with most other hormones. Thyroid is probably the exception, for people who are hypothyroid. Or I guess some people are on the opposite end of the sensitivity spectrum from me, and need large doses of hormones to feel any effect from them.

Hey, elliespad, maybe you're one of those people who are less sensitive to hormones. I wonder if you should be taking more, too.

Butterfly8, I understand what you mean about the side effects. I've heard people say that if you overdose to the point of growing new facial hair, it can be difficult to get rid of the hair even after you decrease the dose. Luckily, that's a more extreme side effect, that doesn't start happening first. But it's a good example of why it's best to be very cautious with hormones.

On the good side, having happy cortisol levels can increase your libido and improve your orgasms!

Good luck, BigMama2!

Love,
    Forebearance
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2006]