Neunontin causing extreme pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by makezmuzic, Aug 15, 2006.

1. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Hello, newbee here. And very glad to find this site. I just started neurontin. 300 mg's 1X a day for a week and now 2X a day. I'm in incredable pain though!! I'm almost to the point of needing a cane. Has anyone else experienced this? My RH is on VA and can't get back to me ASAP. Any feed back from others on how this drug has worked for them please? Thank you
    [This Message was Edited on 08/21/2006]
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

First of all, WELCOME TO OUR BOARD!!!! We have a fantastic support group here. Glad that you found us!!!

Neurotin has been a lifesaver for me. I am on 300 mg, 3 x day. It has greatly reduced my pain level. I never did have any side effects on it either. I take about 23 other meds daily for the ton of problems that I have, so I am fortunate that it did not cause any side effects.

Perhaps you are still in a lot of pain because your dose isn't strong enough.

Some people take really high doses of Neurotin.

If you find out that it doesn't help you, you might want to try Lyrica. It's a med similar to Neurotin but is newer.

Have you ever tried Cymbalta? It's also a fantastic med. It's an antidepressant that helps on fibro pain too. I take 30 mg in the AM and 30 mg in the PM -- 60 mg all at once in the AM (like others take) made me too sleepy, but by splitting it, it works great!

Hugs,
    Janet
  3. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Thank you for your response. I decided to hang in there with the neurontin and its working much better now.

MM
  4. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Hello, thank you for your response on neurontin and your warm welcome to the group. After the positive responses I've gotten from all of you I decided to hang in there with neurontin and the pain is subsiding. I'm glad I didnt give up.

Please forgive the delay in getting back to you.

No, I havent tryed cymalta. I was on nortriptyline. It's used both for depression and Fibro. It puts too much weight on me though. I works well, put my body just can't take anymore weight.

Thanks again.
    MM
  5. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Please forgive my delay in getting back to you. Thanks for your response. I'm so glad I found all of you. I decided tho stay on the neurontin, I'm doing much better.

My legs and upper arms felt the same way. I've been able to start walking again. It makes all the difference in the world. Thanks again,
    MM